JWST Awesome pics thread

Webb finds molecule only made by living things in another world

This is wayyyy above my knowledge comfort level. We need an electron microscope to study molecules 18 inches away, yet a space telescope floating 340 miles above the earth can single out a specific molecule on a planet at a distance of 120 Light Years?
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is wayyyy above my knowledge comfort level. We need an electron microscope to study molecules 18 inches away, yet a space telescope floating 340 miles above the earth can single out a specific molecule on a planet at a distance of 120 Light Years?
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWST is over 1 million miles from earth. And look up Spectroscopy!

JWST Discovers Starless, Planet-Like Objects Mysteriously Lurking in Orion

Dark planets - worlds with no host star, wandering the cosmos forever alone. Never proven, but speculated upon. If they are numerous enough, there's a teeny tiny possibility they could prove that modified Newtonian physics is the correct interpretation of the universe.

Well, here you go. The largest explosion ever seen. The furthest galaxy merger ever witnessed. And proof, that someone somewhere is wrong. As there are now galaxies older than the universe.

Sorry. Gotta link to YouTube to see it

Well, here you go. The largest explosion ever seen. The furthest galaxy merger ever witnessed. And proof, that someone somewhere is wrong. As there are now galaxies older than the universe.

Crazy shit right there. Sounds like we already need a bigger, better, newer jwst! That's what I love about space exploration in general - the more we learn, the less we know.

Crazy shit right there. Sounds like we already need a bigger, better, newer jwst! That's what I love about space exploration in general - the more we learn, the less we know.
Literally a Star Trek episode in the making

Where's that facepalm meme - we haven't found any galaxies older than the universe. Maybe we will, but we definitely haven't yet. That's what is so awesome about science: it grows in understanding as time goes on. But in the meantime... I beg you...

Stop. Making. Sh*t. Up.

They didn’t say that there are galaxies older than the universe and you shouldn’t either. They said there are galaxies that look like they are older than the universe but that they don’t know how they could have formed.

Back