Bedlam wrestling

Overall - I would give this an A for this point in the season.
Spratley was the aggressor in his match. He won on his feet and was in on several shots.
Witcraft was never really close to giving up points in his match. He put on a hard ride and was close to getting turns several times. He had a nice throw at the end to finish the match.
Jamison continues to show ability. I was hoping to see Schwartz here to get a better gauge on Jamison, but he did a really good job in the top position with some strong mat returns.
Williams lost this match with a more than questionable flip attempt. Williams was in on several shots but struggled to finish. He got out scrambled and in a defensive position before he tried the flip. The way he landed, I was concerned that he may have concussed or at least stunned himself when he hit the mat. If he finishes his shots this does not come down to the end.
Travis was the aggressor and forced stall call from Wiley. Travis caught him at the end and finished with the major. Great job by Travis who seems to be running with his opportunity.
Olejnik was solid and kept hitting the same move for takedowns. Won all positions.
Thompson showed a lot here. Picklo is a solid wrestler and was ranked number 17. Thompson was dominant on top and controlled this match in all positions.
Hass was not even close to scoring. We will need Surber back, or we will most likely not score any points at this weight.
Doucet did not do much in this match, but he was slightly better at riding and won. Heindselman is a quality guy ranked around 10, so Doucet is competitive with anyone outside of the top few.

There is reason for optimism. Young guys Spratley, Jamison, and Thompson are showing improvement and should keep climbing the rankins. Olejnik looks even better than I thought he would be. Plott looks good and has adjusted to the weight well. We know that Daton will be there in the end. In my opinion the year has gotten off to a good start now that Thompson seems to be turning it around. We need Williams to start winning matches and Surber's improvement is an incomplete at this time.

Any word on Jamison's injury or when Fix or Surber are back.

Really, other than Williams, hard to complain much about how team has wrestled. Olejnik, Travis and Jamison have exceeded expectations. Thompson may be getting things going. Plott looks strong at 184. Spratley was expected to be good and looks good (and maybe gets better). And Witcraft looks pretty solid, better than in past (i would say exceeded expections but just a fill in for Fix).

The old OU coach kept talking about him taking a boot to the crotch but it was pretty obvious it was his elbow. It didn’t look like it dislocated on the replay but I would bet he has some UCL damage for sure.

One thing I liked about Thompson was how good he was in top this weekend. He got riding time points in both matches.

When looking at replay, it is clear Jamison had elbow injury. Basically looks like elbow got bent backwards. My guess is not that bad.

When looking at replay, it is clear Jamison had elbow injury. Basically looks like elbow got bent backwards. My guess is not that bad.
He’s also as tough as they come. My mom is best friends with his grandmother so I grew up with his mom. I’ve known him since he was a baby and he’s always been a tough SoB (his mom isn’t a B though. She’s actually a really nice lady)

Last edited:
His dad posted on Facebook that they're getting it checked out but I haven't heard anything official since. Possible UCL injury hopefully doesn't need any surgery.

I am glad that it doesn't appear more severe especially after seeing the picture. Can Alvarez wrestle against Wyoming since the first semester will be over?

Lee your info has generally been good so I respect your opinions. You seem to be down on Alvarez. Do you know anything you can share.

Also, you called Williams to be an AA. this year He is clearly off to a slow start. While he clearly has talent, just has not been able to put it together. But you still see no chance Alvarez replaces him in lineup?

I just don't really see much upside with Alvarez. If he was guaranteed to AA then I would be all for it, but he's not and at this point Jamison has beaten him, so it seems like that is the 141 discussion... And then Williams at 149 I think you need to let him take his lumps and just get to the tournament.

Williams has not had an awesome start but his talent level is seriously off the charts. I think his confidence needs to be built up and with GWH and Coleman coaching him I really think he could be a top 6 guy at 149. Lot of season left. I'd hate to pull the rug out now and jeopardize a bright future... We've seen crazier things happen when the bright lights are on. Williams on that stage could do anything.

Future state I think your best lineup in that stretch is 141 - Jamison 149 - Young 157 - Williams in some order. Hughes will be a factor. He might be able to get down to 141 but they are bringing in the Japanese guy and McCommas to hedge in case Hughes gets too big.

I just remember Alvarez at 133 against RBY, Gross, and DeSanto. He was right in there with them. So I guess I think he has a bit more upside, and think 149 should be his wieght.
Travis has looked very good to me. He is the type of guy who does just enough to win, but his stuff works against even the top guys. Small for 157, and may get overpowered. But will know a lot after duel with NCST.

Sammy got pinned at 149 by Willochel from Wyoming today.

I don't think Williams spot is in jeopardy.

And Carter Young majored him 13-2.

I'm glad they brought Sammy in to the program. It was worth a shot. But Jamison and Williams hold the 141-149 spots this year and I think them wrestling sets us up best for 2025+ where I believe the program will be competitive for titles.

Considering how John smith spoke about Jordan Williams in the media gathering in the last few days…safe the day they’re not giving up on him..not even close. Alvarez is just a depth piece at this juncture

Back