NO. 9 OKLAHOMA STATE VS. WYOMING

JAY45

NO. 9 OKLAHOMA STATE VS. WYOMING

: No. 21 Troy Spratley (10-2) vs.
No. 16 Jore Volk (10-3)
*Match of the Night, Measuring Stick of the Night. This Weight Class is wide open in the Big 12 waiting for someone to jump up and claim. This Weight is one that will determine the level of OSU’s success this Season.

133: No. 3 Daton Fix (1-0) -or-
Reece Witcraft (6-3) vs.
Cooper Birdwell (7-7) -or-
Garrett Ricks (3-4)
*As President of the RW Fan Club, each Match he’s squeezed in has been a treat.

141: No. 8 Tagen Jamison (12-2) -or-
Cael Hughes (7-1) vs.
No. 31 Cole Brooks (7-2)
*This is the Official Listing, in all likelihood we see the debut of Hughes.

149: No. 23 Jordan Williams (8-3) vs.
No. 18 Gabe Willochell (11-4)
*An opportunity to redeem the Bedlam loss and develop some consistency.

157: No. 25 Teague Travis (8-1) vs.
Cooper Voorhees (5-6)
*One of several candidates for “Feel Good Story of the Season”…keep ‘em coming, don’t slip up here!

165: No. 2 Izzak Olejnik (13-0) vs.
Brett McIntosh (5-6)
*Hottest Wrestler in the Nation.

174: No. 28 Brayden Thompson (2-3) vs.
Riley Davis (7-6)
*See 149, let’s see the consistency & built of of a great past 2 Duals.

184: No. 3 Dustin Plott (13-1) vs.
Quayin Short (4-5)
*Sharpen the Saw.

197: No. 12 Luke Surber (8-1) -or-
Jersey Robb (8-0) vs.
No. 21 Joey Novak (10-6)
*Really ready for Surber to be back; if not, it’s time to give Robb his shot.

HWT: No. 12 Konner Doucet (8-2) vs.
Kevin Zimmer (9-4)
*Opportunity to cut loose offensively.

Last edited:
Is there any way to watch/stream the dual tonight without having to pay for Flo? I refuse to pay a full month's fee for only 2 hours of use one time.

Ugh, those wyoming dudes needed to find something else to discuss besides cracks at Coach Perry "making weight". :rolleyes:

The next dual with NC State will tell us where we are.

My review of this dual is as follows:

Was a bit disappointed in Spratley, but guy he was up against was good. Unless he comes on unlikely to be an AA.

Williams won, but needed two close takedown calls against a good, but not top 10 guy. It is a start and at least he got win.

Hughes looked like a beast. If he can make 133 next year, may replace Fix without team losing a beat.

Fix looked like he was not in top shape, winded in 3rd. But what can one expect from a guy coming back from injury. Also guy he wrestled used to be at OSU and so likely knows Fix and what he can do well. Has tough match at NC State so that will be better test.

Travis looked good. Really has not wrestled anyone, so NC State will be big test. I have high hopes, but we will see.

Thompson looks like he is now on track. Plott and Olejnik looked great, we will see when they face tougher guys.

Robb, even though he was pinned, was (with Hughes) bright spot of dual for me. He wrestled a very solid guy and was wrestling up a weight. Was ahead in 3rd period. And unlike Hughes, Robb wasn't a top recruit. This guy may have a future.

At 285, Doucet was fine. Got a takedown, so I am happy. He really is pretty close to being an AA, just needs a bit more offense.

I agree on Spratley. Volk has been wrestling well, but Spratley needs to really improve to make AA this year.
Fix is working his way back. Big match for him against NC State. He'll be ready.
Hughes controlled his guy. I'm looking forward to seeing his progress.
My biggest takeaway has been Thompson. I don't know the quality of his competition, but he has been in total control in the last three matches and has been very good on top.

Was a bit disappointed in Spratley, but guy he was up against was good. Unless he comes on unlikely to be an AA.

Williams won, but needed two close takedown calls against a good, but not top 10 guy. It is a start and at least he got win.

Hughes looked like a beast. If he can make 133 next year, may replace Fix without team losing a beat.

Fix looked like he was not in top shape, winded in 3rd. But what can one expect from a guy coming back from injury. Also guy he wrestled used to be at OSU and so likely knows Fix and what he can do well. Has tough match at NC State so that will be better test.

Travis looked good. Really has not wrestled anyone, so NC State will be big test. I have high hopes, but we will see.

Thompson looks like he is now on track. Plott and Olejnik looked great, we will see when they face tougher guys.

Robb, even though he was pinned, was (with Hughes) bright spot of dual for me. He wrestled a very solid guy and was wrestling up a weight. Was ahead in 3rd period. And unlike Hughes, Robb wasn't a top recruit. This guy may have a future.

At 285, Doucet was fine. Got a takedown, so I am happy. He really is pretty close to being an AA, just needs a bit more offense.
Jamison should also be back for NC State if his healing is going well.

Let's not forget with Fix as well that the match was at 7200 feet elevation in Laramie, no amount of conditioning in OK will overcome that. Most of the guys did pretty well I thought, but Fix and Doucet seemed to be short on breath in their respective third periods.

I agree on Spratley. Volk has been wrestling well, but Spratley needs to really improve to make AA this year.
Fix is working his way back. Big match for him against NC State. He'll be ready.
Hughes controlled his guy. I'm looking forward to seeing his progress.
My biggest takeaway has been Thompson. I don't know the quality of his competition, but he has been in total control in the last three matches and has been very good on top.

Pickolo is pretty good but yeah jury is out on 70% of the roster.

Fix, Olejnik, and Plott should AA. Jamison is ranked to do it. Plott should do it.

Spratley, Williams, and Thompson all have work to do but all have insanely high ceilings.

Travis and Doucet if they can make R16 or win one bout at nationals I'm happy with them. I love Doucet, don't get me wrong. I think he's capable of anything he sets his mind to.

I do not disagree with what Lee C says, but going to question some of his conclusions. Which may be right.

First Travis (whom I am a fan of). Travis has only lost 1 match this year, and that was 5-4 against Williams at Linderwood. If Williams is that good, maybe Travis is also pretty good?

So I would argue, we just really don't know how good Travis is, especially at 157 (when he is 149 pounder).

Jamison wrestled CK and lost to Hardy (who finished 6th at NCAA) , then lost to NC guy (who finished 4th), then beat Hardy. I would argue he is freshman and still adjusting to intensity of actual matches. Really, that is true for Travis and all 4 freshman. So it would not be a complete shock if any one of them came onat end of year.

Doucet is ranked 11 at Intermat. Zach Elam from Mizz is ranked 6th. That is guy Surber beat. So no, Doucet is clearly not in top 5. But Elam is not that good. If Doucet can get a bit of offense and maybe a good seed, not that far from AA.

Love all of that and am inclined to agree @MJM !

We will find out a ton about some of our question marks in January. NC State is very strong at 125, 141, 157, 197, and 285. If our guys can get wins there then we are looking at something special.

Back