Boynton Comments

I agree not a good look for Boynton here, but I think both things can be true at the same time. Boynton has been and is mediocre (at best) and the university has not made a commitment to support basketball in the NIL era.

I hate his kids are hearing about his job security, kids shouldn’t have to worry about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They wanted to be pros now they get their chance.

Eddie took a no star guy who could barely get up and down the court in high school and made into a first round NBA pick.

Eddie never had superstar recruits. Took whatever he had a won with them.
That’s a Stilly legend, Big Country was better than you described.

Even more endearing during his radio show, Dave talks about Eddie Sutton putting pads on the players, and MB comments that over time "things get embellished."
Nah dude they got video evidence of that s***. Talking negatively about one of the best pieces of OSU basketball lore isn’t going to endear you to a lot of people. This interview has completely changed my perception of Mike Boynton

Gans was in our district. High school Reeves did not resemble at all what became at OSU.
No, but he also wasn’t the incapable nonmoving sloth portrayed in the original post. It took both Minors to beat Gans in the state tournament. Eddie was a tremendous evaluator of talent. If Gary Ward hadn’t tried to screw Ryan Minor out of playing basketball we would have had another natty.

Embellished?

FU Mike Boyton

So I emailed Boyton the youtube link. Told him I was a big fan and always rooted for him. But I am done. You don't go to the media and start blaming everyone else. You are the coach, it starts with you. And you damn sure don't say the football pads were embellished. I know Eddie had his issues, but he brought our program back to the top. He won't look in the mirror and take blame for anything. So, get his ass out of here.

Hilariously enough, I have received 3 phone calls from stillwater within 5 minutes of my email. No voicemail....

Eddie took a no star guy who could barely get up and down the court in high school and made into a first round NBA pick.

Eddie never had superstar recruits. Took whatever he had a won with them.

Big Country was also recruited by Bobby Knight at Indiana. He wasn't a scrub.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was watching him ride a bike on campus.

No, but he also wasn’t the incapable nonmoving sloth portrayed in the original post. It took both Minors to beat Gans in the state tournament. Eddie was a tremendous evaluator of talent. If Gary Ward hadn’t tried to screw Ryan Minor out of playing basketball we would have had another natty.
With the recent passing of Ryan Minor, it stirred up this memory of Ward basically preventing the 1995 Final Four team from having Ryan Minor on it.

I was at OSU during this time and I thought it was because Ward wouldn't use a full scholarship on his brother (Damon) or something like that. Eddie went to Ward to split the scholarships between the brothers but Gary didn't want to play ball.

OU's baseball coach was willing to do it and OU actually won the CWS in 1994. :mad: Double whammy.

Still have faith in Boynton; however, that was hard to read. Didn’t we sign a top 10 class?
We did. We have had a number of top classes under Boynton--so talent has not been the issue. This interview definitely attenuated my opinion of him, as it seemed like he was shirking responsibility for where our program is at. Could our NIL be better? Of course, but that isn't the primary issue here.

I think it is telling about what he thinks about his future here.

With the recent passing of Ryan Minor, it stirred up this memory of Ward basically preventing the 1995 Final Four team from having Ryan Minor on it.

I was at OSU during this time and I thought it was because Ward wouldn't use a full scholarship on his brother (Damon) or something like that. Eddie went to Ward to split the scholarships between the brothers but Gary didn't want to play ball.

OU's baseball coach was willing to do it and OU actually won the CWS in 1994. :mad: Double whammy.
I know people involved in that issue. Eddie tried, Gary got religion, but it was to late to fix the original mistaken idea.

Still have faith in Boynton; however, that was hard to read. Didn’t we sign a top 10 class?

We did. We have had a number of top classes under Boynton--so talent has not been the issue. This interview definitely attenuated my opinion of him, as it seemed like he was shirking responsibility for where our program is at. Could our NIL be better? Of course, but that isn't the primary issue here.

I think it is telling about what he thinks about his future here.

The school doesn’t pay NIL, donors do, and it’s a tough ask since the money is a very short term investment. Boynton hasn’t accomplished anything of note with good recruits, why would donors invest in him and in retaining his players when he can’t coach them into regular tourney runs or even appearances? Yeah chicken and the egg, but the coach needs to show he can coach before the money people are going to throw money at his players. Without knowing for sure, I highly doubt San Diego State or FAU are succeeding because of NIL. I mean just down the road ORU has been crushing it and I doubt they have any NIL benefits outside of maybe being first in line for coffee and donuts after church service.

This year we lost to Abilene Christian, St Bonaventure and Southern Illinois. Last year we lost to North Texas and Southern Illionois. The year before that we lost to Oakland and Wichita State. Yes we probably need to spend more on NIL but the problem is coaching and that MUST be addressed first.

I know someone who knows someone who works with agents (take that for what it's worth) and they are saying that there is no back channel talk coming from OSU right now about looking for coaches (but there is from WVU).

This year we lost to Abilene Christian, St Bonaventure and Southern Illinois. Last year we lost to North Texas and Southern Illionois. The year before that we lost to Oakland and Wichita State. Yes we probably need to spend more on NIL but the problem is coaching and that MUST be addressed first.

I know someone who knows someone who works with agents (take that for what it's worth) and they are saying that there is no back channel talk coming from OSU right now about looking for coaches (but there is from WVU).
Maybe because we have already talked to the guy we want and he said yes when the season is over.

Back