Boynton Comments

Boynton does have a valid point about NIL. Maybe that's the ultimate cause of the mass exodus after the conclusion of last season (and prior). And he's right about the lack of commitment from OSU leadership regarding funding.. it's all about football these days. The basketball program is in serious neglect. I'm not buying the argument that the lack of funding is all because of Boynton. That's because it's not true.

In the Big 12, on average, OSU has ranked 2nd place in annual donations since 2015. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Since 2000, OSU ranks 3rd in total alumni donations. Texas and OU ranks first and second.

The football program devours nearly every penny. The basketball program is not even on life support.. OSU leadership unplugged the cord long ago and there's no resuscitation in sight.

Having said that, all criticism regarding Boynton has merit. It's just.. we're gonna have to accept that the basketball program is officially dead. OSU leadership simply does not give one damn about the basketball program. If this continues par for the course, I don't think a new coach can save it. Unfortunately, a new coach is the only hope we have. I wouldn't keep your hope up... OSU basketball is dead. What a shame.

Edit: Please forgive any spelling and grammatical mistakes.. wrote this post on a smartphone and quickly so

Boynton does have a valid point about NIL. Maybe that's the ultimate cause of the mass exodus after the conclusion of last season (and prior). And he's right about the lack of commitment from OSU leadership regarding funding.. it's all about football these days. The basketball program is in serious neglect. I'm not buying the argument that the lack of funding is all because of Boynton. That's because it's not true.

In the Big 12, on average, OSU has ranked 2nd place in annual donations since 2015. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Since 2000, OSU ranks 3rd in total alumni donations. Texas and OU ranks first and second.

The football program devours nearly every penny. The basketball program is not even on life support.. OSU leadership unplugged the cord long ago and there's no resuscitation in sight.

Having said that, all criticism regarding Boynton has merit. It's just.. we're gonna have to accept that the basketball program is officially dead. OSU leadership simply does not give one damn about the basketball program. If this continues par for the course, I don't think a new coach can save it. Unfortunately, a new coach is the only hope we have. I wouldn't keep your hope up... OSU basketball is dead. What a shame.

Edit: Please forgive any spelling and grammatical mistakes.. wrote this post on a smartphone and quickly so
You are totally clueless. Basketball flows through the veins of Weiberg’s family. His dad was a coach. His brother was a coach. His brother died in the 2001 crash. Find something else to rail about.

Boynton has enough talent that we should not be staring at 2 conference wins.

He may have a point about NIL but he is a terrible coach. His teams have no strategy and any above average coach would have taken a cade Cunningham team to the sweet 16 minimum.

The NIL problem is likely only going to get worse. Continued mediocrity is only going to continue the declining interest in MBB, meaning even less interest in generating funds for NIL. But if you do make a change at coach, you need NIL funding lined up before that coach is hired. A new coach coming in with no war chest will be a disaster. Might have a team with multiple walk-ons starting. A new coach must have the resources to try to retain the players they want and pick up some transfers to round out the team. The days of developing a team are in the past, a new coach has to come in and immediately put together a team capable of making the tournament in a brutal conference.

"Might have a team with multiple walk-ons starting" What??? Let's not get carried away.

There will probably be some donors lined-up with commitments based on hiring a new coach. There are 351 D1 basketball schools, there are a lot of players that would rather play at OSU instead of about 275-300 of those schools even if the money is less. OSU basketball is still a recognizable name because they are in the Big12.

Circling back to the "They can say, ‘You’re not performing at the expected level.’ ...”, I did a little dive into statistics, specifically Pomeroy's Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (points scored per 100 possessions, adjusted for opponents). Without comment since I think the results speak for themselves, I've listed the year and NCAA rank (out of 351 teams) of the noted stat. After some consideration, I added the defensive numbers as well.

Offensive Efficiency
2017 - 1 (Underwood)
2018 - 61
2019 - 75
2020 - 84
2021 - 60 (Cade)
2022 - 161
2023 - 146
2024 - 111

Defensive Efficiency (just for fun)
2017 - 155 (Underwood)
2018 - 59
2019 - 110
2020 - 46
2021 - 17 (Cade)
2022 - 4
2023 - 12
2024 - 96

Last edited:
Circling back to the "They can say, ‘You’re not performing at the expected level.’ ...”, I did a little dive into statistics, specifically Pomeroy's Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (points scored per 100 possessions, adjusted for opponents). Without comment since I think the results speak for themselves, I've listed the year and NCAA rank (out of 351 teams) of the noted stat. After some consideration, I added the defensive numbers as well.

Offensive Efficiency
2017 - 1 (Underwood)
2018 - 61
2019 - 75
2020 - 84
2021 - 60 (Cade)
2022 - 161
2023 - 146
2024 - 111

Defensive Efficiency (just for fun)
2017 - 155 (Underwood)
2018 - 59
2019 - 110
2020 - 46
2021 - 17 (Cade)
2022 - 4
2023 - 12
2024 - 96
I’m probably making this up but it seems like preCade we still ran a lot of the same sets that Underwood brought. Double high screens away. Seems like we got Lindy, Thomas and even Cam a lot of good looks.

The Cade year was just based on the fact we had a generational talent.

Post Cade we went to high ball screens probably to get Avery down hill and not much movement off th ball.

Also interesting to note Underwood yr was Evans. Boynton’s best yr was Cade and we are somewhat better this yr w Small. Kinda makes it seem like PG play is important.

Also interesting is our best yrs in the last 8 coincided w NBA talent. Evans, Lindy, Cam and Cade. Only NBA player for Boynton is Cade. Kinda begs the question is he really a great recruiter?

And Evans, Lindy and Cam were Ford recruits.

I’m probably making this up but it seems like preCade we still ran a lot of the same sets that Underwood brought. Double high screens away. Seems like we got Lindy, Thomas and even Cam a lot of good looks.

The Cade year was just based on the fact we had a generational talent.

Post Cade we went to high ball screens probably to get Avery down hill and not much movement off th ball.

Also interesting to note Underwood yr was Evans. Boynton’s best yr was Cade and we are somewhat better this yr w Small. Kinda makes it seem like PG play is important.

Also interesting is our best yrs in the last 8 coincided w NBA talent. Evans, Lindy, Cam and Cade. Only NBA player for Boynton is Cade. Kinda begs the question is he really a great recruiter?

And Evans, Lindy and Cam were Ford recruits.
Making things up is what precisely 89.47% of internet posters do, so you fit right in. Personally, I never make anything up.

Regarding the basketball, I'll bow to your recollection on the play design of the early HCMB years. I know with Underpants, he ran/runs a lot of movement in his sets. Having Evans run that system was beautiful to watch. Sigh....

In my opinion, he is a decent recruiter, but mediocre to poor offensive developer and team builder. I think the defensive results are obvious, but you can't win if you don't put the ball in the basket... As far as recruits/players, I really like Garrison and Dailey, and Keller's last game was nice. Cezar Guerrero (before Boynton, I know) also had a handful of games where I thought he had some potential. Let's see how they continue developing over the remainder of the season, and hopefully, beyond.

Making things up is what precisely 89.47% of internet posters do, so you fit right in. Personally, I never make anything up.

Regarding the basketball, I'll bow to your recollection on the play design of the early HCMB years. I know with Underpants, he ran/runs a lot of movement in his sets. Having Evans run that system was beautiful to watch. Sigh....

In my opinion, he is a decent recruiter, but mediocre to poor offensive developer and team builder. I think the defensive results are obvious, but you can't win if you don't put the ball in the basket... As far as recruits/players, I really like Garrison and Dailey, and Keller's last game was nice. Cezar Guerrero (before Boynton, I know) also had a handful of games where I thought he had some potential. Let's see how they continue developing over the remainder of the season, and hopefully, beyond.
If I remember correctly, Keller's first game was pretty good, too. I want to see more of the starting 5 we had Saturday.

I think Garrison and Dailey can be really good. Just need to be put in the right situations and develop confidence. You can see Garrison beginning to get it. He hit an 18’ Saturday that if he gets consistently will make him really good. Dailey had confidence and then when we inexplicably moved him to the 5 and he lost it. He would be dynamic in a pick and switch. But we never go to that.

If I remember correctly, Keller's first game was pretty good, too. I want to see more of the starting 5 we had Saturday.
Coming off injury Keller had a really good 1st game. Then once conference started he went to basically 0 minutes. That has started to come back but is that mainly bc Thompson is out? Also seems like he only got the start Saturday bc Dow was sick.

I agree on that 5 and please no more Dailey at the 5. Play he and Garrison together.

Coming off injury Keller had a really good 1st game. Then once conference started he went to basically 0 minutes. That has started to come back but is that mainly bc Thompson is out? Also seems like he only got the start Saturday bc Dow was sick.

I agree on that 5 and please no more Dailey at the 5. Play he and Garrison together.
I've been wanting to see Small, Garrison, and Dailey to all play at the same time. Give them each 35 minutes per game. I think it would really open up the floor for anything.

Not playing Garrison and Dailey at the same time is like Eddie Sutton deciding he can't play Big Country and Fred Burley at the same time or Ivan McFarlin and Joey Graham at the same time. It is mind blowing. 🤯

No doubt Creighton spends infinitely more than we ever could. That’s why they kicked our butt and that’s why they are kicking the #1team’s butt right now. It’s all about NIL, has nothing to do with coaching ability.
Then they won’t mind if we hire their coach.

Back