2023 Basketball Offseason

Allegedly real. If so, I’m closer to being back on board with HCMB. Give me a coach with a little piss and vinegar for anything and anyone not 100% Cowboy. Can be a nice guy when needed but get in compatible mode and kick some ass. You don’t want to be here, see ya.

Not with todays athletes. Both them and their mothers would be all over you. Give a coach who wines and dines the boosters and is able to find NIL money. In other words a sleeve ball

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not with todays athletes. Both them and their mothers would be all over you. Give a coach who wines and dines the boosters and is able to find NIL money. In other words a sleeve ball

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
That’s a pretty broad brush.

Additionally, I have zero problem with our coaches being “that guy” for the players that want to be here. In fact, I want them to. I’m saying I like his attitude toward guys that don’t want to be.

My season tickets renewal came in the mail today and for the first time in my Cowboy fandom I'm asking do I even want to renew? Do I want to spend another season watching us almost achieve? not to mention watching a favorite player that is more than likely to portal if he's any damn good at all.

Well f&^% it, I'll probably renew, it does get my old ass out of the house twice a week and it's probably cheaper than whatever next bad habit I choose. On the bright side, maybe I'll screw up on the highway home, maybe takeout the Baylor team bus, and my kids will enjoy their inheritance earlier...

My season tickets renewal came in the mail today and for the first time in my Cowboy fandom I'm asking do I even want to renew? Do I want to spend another season watching us almost achieve? not to mention watching a favorite player that is more than likely to portal if he's any damn good at all.

Well f&^% it, I'll probably renew, it does get my old ass out of the house twice a week and it's probably cheaper than whatever next bad habit I choose. On the bright side, maybe I'll screw up on the highway home, maybe takeout the Baylor team bus, and my kids will enjoy their inheritance earlier...
I had the same internal debate and will renew for the simple reason my tix aren’t that expensive, I love where I sit and I hold out hope that one day we will be competitive making it worth it to keep my seats.

I will definitely be more selective on which games I go to.

As others have rightfully pointed out, literally every single basketball program is experiencing the same mass exodus. Sadly, it's the new era - an era that, while great for the players, has utterly changed the entire landscape of collegiate athletics in the worst ways imaginable for fans. Hopefully the upcoming 2 transfer stops the madness. And Boynton doesn't suck. He'll do just fine in a smaller conference.

Side not that's not a reply to comment I've quoted: This may be an unpopular opinion because OSU has not been treated fairly by the NCAA. The NCAA was the single best thing that happened to nearly every single college that has athletic programs.

The NCAA is the reason why college athletics has become very popular. The NCAA's system benefited every single athletic program regardless of division, size, etc. The NCAA made collegiate athletics incredibly fun. But, now that the NCAA is losing power, it's all crumbling down. The new system benefits the rich. The richer will get richer and the poorer will be far less poorer. So many athletic programs have and will continue to lose so much money that programs will cease to exist in so many programs. Without the NCAA, if you're not in a power 5, it's game over. So many scholarships will disappear. So many jobs most.

It's over. It's sad
As a whole, I am not convinced it benefits the players. Seems most go to lesser schools or even divisions. Yeah, there are some that game it pretty well, but overall, just do not think most end up in better situations. Maybe a benefit would be they eventually recognize the grass is not always greener and they come to the realization as to where their ability and overall worth actually stand in the big picture.

Would be interesting to see a current analysis of how many beat the system, how many are just changing scenery and how many outright screwed themselves over.

With the additions of Javon Small, Mike Marsh, and Jarius Hicklen I believe that gives us 11 scholarship players (if B Thompson returns) 3 returning players (JMW, B Thompson and Quion), 3 portal (Small, Marsh, Hicklen) and 5 freshman (Keller, Dow, Mcbride, Dailey, Garrison)

Guards:
JMW (9.8ppg, 34% 3pt, 2.0 assists)
Javon Small (15.8 ppg, 33% 3 pt, 4.8 rb, 5.6 ast)
Hicklen (12.5 ppg, 36% 3pt, 3.5 rb, 3.2 ast)
B Thompson (11.8 ppg, 37% 3pt, 2.6 rb, 2.6 ast)
Quion Williams (3.5 ppg, 2.5 rb 20% 3pt)
J Keller -Incoming freshman, athletic/ strong guard
C Dow- Incoming Freshman, 6’5” 3 point shooter

Forwards:
Eric Dailey Jr - incoming freshman, big athletic body, looks the part here’s a highlight clip

Justin Mcbride- incoming freshman, inside/out player. Here is a highlight clip

Center:
Mike Marsh (10.5 points, 4.9 rb, 55% fg)

Brandon Garrison- incoming freshman, highly touted McDonald’s all American

I don't like being pessimistic - believe me. As a diehard OSU basketball fan (and football), I yearn for OSU basketball to find success. I don't know if posting links is against community guidelines... Unfortunately, OSU is listed on many of the wrong side of "winners and losers" during the off-season.

I'll just post a quote from just one list of 2023 "winners and losers" off-season recruiting in case posting links is against community guidelines:

"Oklahoma State's frontcourt of Boone and Cisse wrecked opponents last year, but both opted to walk away from seemingly, wide-open starting spots at Oklahoma State. The mass exit of starter-level talent is concerning.

Oklahoma State will be forced to rely on unproven, young talent. Mike Boynton is facing the reality that OSU may be the doormat dweller of the upcoming season. Only Texas Tech can prevent that from becoming a reality. His seat should be red hot."

I mean, that's 100% accurate. What a bummer. I hope somehow OSU onds itself in the top 5... I also understand that may be wishful thinking. I'll still support the team... Though optimism will be hard to find

Oklahoma State will be forced to rely on unproven, young talent. Mike Boynton is facing the reality that OSU may be the doormat dweller of the upcoming season. Only Texas Tech can prevent that from becoming a reality. His seat should be red hot."

Didn't Texas Tech actually hire a guy that can coach? Yeah, I have no doubt that we'll be the basement dweller next year.

In world full of NCAA "f you's" to OSU, this would be near the very top of the list.......

"Case for a waiver: By the letter of the law, Moussa Cisse should be forced to sit out a year. But Cisse could try for a mental health waiver because he was on the Oklahoma State team that was hammered with a highly-controversial postseason ban in 2021-22 that Mike Boynton called "unfathomable" and "incredibly unjust and unfair.""

Back