2023 Basketball Offseason

It’s amazing to think that this program hasn’t made it out of the second round in 19 years. Current recruits weren’t even alive the last time it happened. The program has been stale for some time now and I wish the athletic department would do something about it.

It’s amazing to think that this program hasn’t made it out of the second round in 19 years. Current recruits weren’t even alive the last time it happened. The program has been stale for some time now and I wish the athletic department would do something about it.
As I said in another post, TCU is the only other team in this conference in it's current form that has not made at least the sweet 16 in the last 18 years. All other teams in this conference have made the sweet 16 at least twice and most more than twice since we last did. Lot's of elite 8's, final fours, and 3 teams reaching the championship game with 2 winning the championship. Meanwhile we're over here with nothing to show for sht in the same amount of time that kids were born and then went on to graduate highschool.

Call me bat sh!t, but I wish Gottleib was on the staff or at least around the program like Ventura and Matt Holliday was for the baseball program. Dude literally has the most assists in the entire program and could command an offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me bat shit, but I wish Gottleib was on the staff or at least around the program like Ventura and Matt Holliday was for the baseball program. Dude literally has the most assists in the entire program and could command an offense.
Sorry, but I’ve gotta disagree with this take. Gottlieb isn’t a coach so how would it be any different with him being around the program? When we hired Boynton, he didn’t have any head coaching experience but he at least had been an assistant coach. If Gottlieb is serious about coaching at OSU then he needs to start coaching and working his way up like everyone else. If we hand him the keys, which may not be what you are wanting, we would be in the same position now which was taking a chance on a guy who was never a head coach before.

If we get rid of Boynton then it needs to be for a proven coach. Otherwise we are just going in circles. Just my opinion, which means absolutely nothing!

Freakin' picked to finish last in the conference with a first year head coach Kansas St. is going to the elite 8. Must be nice.

As I said in another post, TCU is the only other team in this conference in it's current form that has not made at least the sweet 16 in the last 18 years. All other teams in this conference have made the sweet 16 at least twice and most more than twice since we last did. Lot's of elite 8's, final fours, and 3 teams reaching the championship game with 2 winning the championship. Meanwhile we're over here with nothing to show for sht in the same amount of time that kids were born and then went on to graduate highschool.
To make matters worse, of both former and current Big 12 teams, we are one of only 4 of that total 14 that haven't been to at least one sweet sixteen since 2005. CU, TCU, Nebraska, and us are the only ones who haven't been, and 8 of those other 10 have been multiple times to boot. Particularly sad when you think that the likes of KSU, Tech, rapelor, and ISU used to be perennial cellar dwellers of the conference, and look at them now. Heck, TCU was the cellar dweller until the last two seasons, yet they still have as many tournament wins as we do since 2005.

F it, hire Gottlieb. Can it really be any worse than the mediocrity we've been wallowing in?

For me I would be willing to ride w boynton a little longer if we saw any signs of him developing. But it’s the same shit we’ve seen since the first yr. Average at best point guard play. Horrific shooting. Even poorer fundamentals when it comes to passing. Killer live ball turnovers. No defined rolls. Poor shot selection. Underdeveloped basketball IQ. Continuing to dive behind screens on shooters. Inexcusable fouls on 3 point shooters. Killer turnovers or blown plays coming out of timeouts at the most critical times. No imagination on in bounds sets both baseline and mid court. Unwillingness to call timeouts to stop runs or set up last plays. Poor substitution patterns. Lack of competitiveness or urgency.

These problems and more have been documented on this board and the old one by many posters. They have been happening since the first season and continue to beat us even in the game against UNT. I will renew my season tickets again but will not attend many games. It’s the only way I know (along w an email) to say enough.

I had hoped that under new leadership, reestablishing our men's basketball program would be a priority. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. It's most frustrating because Chad Weiberg attended OSU in the early 90s. He, of all people, should know what our basketball program can be. He knows that a full GIA is one of the best home court advantages in college basketball because he got to experience it as a student. Now it's become a home-away-from-home for our opponents. There's disappointing and then there's hopeless. Football was disappointing last season. Basketball seems to be hopeless.

I had hoped that under new leadership, reestablishing our men's basketball program would be a priority. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case. It's most frustrating because Chad Weiberg attended OSU in the early 90s. He, of all people, should know what our basketball program can be. He knows that a full GIA is one of the best home court advantages in college basketball because he got to experience it as a student. Now it's become a home-away-from-home for our opponents. There's disappointing and then there's hopeless. Football was disappointing last season. Basketball seems to be hopeless.
He is handcuffed by a contract he didn’t get to negotiate

I feel like I hopped in a time machine with this talk about DG. If he really wanted to coach at OSU, he probably should have started some sort of coaching career 5ish years ago when we started this insane discussion.

Why on earth would we hire him to coach when he has ZERO experience? Just because he's an alum? Would we consider a non-alum with the same exact coaching resume, but who was good at getting assists in college? Like I said, insane - and a sad commentary on how far we've fallen as a program.

It’s amazing that a first year coach at Kansas St can take a team that was predicted to finish last in the conference this year to playing for a spot in the final 4. And here we sit 6 years later with the debacle that is Mike Boynton.

Back