Who Should OSU Hire as Next Basketball Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptnQuirk

I’m your Leader
Patreon Supporter
Assuming Mike Boynton’s tenure ends after this season with an acceptable negotiated buyout, who should OSU hire as the next head basketball coach within reason? Bill Self won’t be coming. I have expressed my choices in other places. They would be Tommy Lloyd of Arizona or Greg McDermott of Creighton. Lloyd would probably be a better choice but he won’t be cheap. McDermott is good and should be more affordable.

Lloyd isn’t coming to Stillwater.
Sampson isn’t coming to Stillwater.
McDermott is a good mid-major coach, but he sucked at Iowa State (59-68 in four years). He got suspended in 2021 for racially insensitive comments.
Marshall may not ever coach again. He is enjoying his time away from the game.

Rick Pitino, Steve Alford, Chris Mack would probably come to Stillwater.

McDermott is a good mid-major coach, but he sucked at Iowa State (59-68 in four years). He got suspended in 2021 for racially insensitive comments.

Pitino had his share of missteps at Louisville.

Here are a few names I would look at:
1. Chris Mack - Things didn't work out for him at Louisville, but he had a long record of success at Xavier. He's a proven coach that has taken a team to the Final Four, and he's unemployed.
2. Greg McDermott - He's grown into a really good coach at Creighton. OSU has better tradition, facilities, and we play in a better conference, but he still might not leave.
3. Gregg Marshall - The allegations against him were severe, but he denied them all. He's a great coach, but he might have too much baggage.
4. Sean Miller - He's another highly successful coach that would come with baggage.
5. Dusty May - What he did last year by taking FAU to the Final Four was really impressive. He’s unproven long term though.
6. Penny Hardaway - He’s shown a lot of promise at Memphis, but I’m not sure if he would leave his alma mater for anything other than a blue-blood job though.
7. Pat Kelsey - He hasn’t been spectacular, but he’s been consistently successful.

I kinda wish Grant McCasland was still at North Texas. He would’ve been an excellent replacement candidate if we would’ve acted a year sooner.

Just throwing out some names.

Kyle Keller - Solid job, nothing great, at SFA with ties to the Sutton days and connections with former OSU players like maybe Brian Montonati. 😉

Corey Williams - Former player with a lot of high level assistant experience including Tech the last few years and now Auburn

Bryce Drew - Did great at Valpo, now doing really well at Grand Canyon. Not so great at Vandy, but that is difficult due to the academics.

Alvin Brooks III - Last 8 years at Baylor, is the Associate Head coach, Kstate before that for Webber

Quannis White - Hey, hiring a former sooner worked in Softball. Associate Head coach for Sampson at Houston, and besides playing for him, has now coached 7 years for him. There is no doubt this program could use some of that discipline, toughness and hustle that Sampson teams always bring.

My top two (reasonable) would be Bryce Drew from Grand Canyon (currently 17-1)
or Mark Byington from James Madison. Both coach a detailed brand of basketball and I'm sure will be snatched up to a major soon.

Also for fun, Bryan Mullins of Southern Illinois because we can't beat him.

I was going to set the O/U on number of posts before someone declares who will not come to Stillwater at 4.5 and then immediately take the under. Would have hit.

You're probably 1000% correct but if we're going to go down this path, you go big and don't worry about who might not come, don't know until you ask them.

Dusty May or Gregg Marshall would be my top 2 picks but more because of style of play then who they are as the coach.

That is one of, it not our biggest, issues right now. We don't know who we are. We have zero identity on either end of the floor. Give me a coach that wants to play 40 minutes of hell playing 12 guys getting 60-70 possessions a game or give me a coach that wants to take the air out of the ball like Virginia. I am fine either way but get someone who knows what they're doing and has proven it and then let them bring it here.

Last edited:
I was going to set the O/U on number of posts before someone declares who will not come to Stillwater at 4.5 and then immediately take the under. Would have hit.

You're probably 1000% correct but if we're going to go down this path, you go big and don't worry about who might not come, don't know until you ask them.
You throw baggage out the window as well, there ain’t no rules anymore

You throw baggage out the window as well, there ain’t no rules anymore
1000% agree. Anyone saying we should be holier than thou due to past behaviors isn't paying attention to the new landscape. Hell Bobby Petrino is back at Arkansas and I would lay money is the head coach before next season ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back