Who Should OSU Hire as Next Basketball Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I typically don't like doing this mid season, but since we are... playing the way we have been and with the current topic a major point of discussion, I felt it warranted to update my table. As usual, I am open to suggestions on modifications or other data points to add. Have them broken out as Boynton only, including the season to date and the overall back to 2000.

I foresee our scoring margin and assist to turnover ratio continuing to drop as we get deeper into conference play.

1705687519564.jpegOverall.JPG

I typically don't like doing this mid season, but since we are... playing the way we have been and with the current topic a major point of discussion, I felt it warranted to update my table. As usual, I am open to suggestions on modifications or other data points to add. Have them broken out as Boynton only, including the season to date and the overall back to 2000.

I foresee our scoring margin and assist to turnover ratio continuing to drop as we get deeper into conference play.

View attachment 3270View attachment 3271
At the very beginning I said “After the season ends” so we are not talking about replacing him right now. What do the stats have to do with the question asked?

At the very beginning I said “After the season ends” so we are not talking about replacing him right now. What do the stats have to do with the question asked?
Trends can add weight to a conversation, especially over a several year span, right? And I'm well aware that this is all likely to happen at the end of the season. So... you're welcome, I guess?

To answer your question, as apparently that is required to post in this tread; Bill Self, Mick Cronin, or someone else.

Last edited:
Michael Jordan. Hey, why not? I mean, I like the names being mentioned, but yeah.. we have no chance of anyone near the caliber we all wish we could have.

Realistically, the OSU basketball program is not a job that's in demand. And that is no fun. I don't know who to go after, but I bet we'll all be disappointed when the name is officially called. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen for a long time. And that's deeply depressing.

I'll play tho. Bryce Drew. That's the only name we may actually have a chance of hiring. But, I seriously doubt it.

Michael Jordan. Hey, why not? I mean, I like the names being mentioned, but yeah.. we have no chance of anyone near the caliber we all wish we could have.

Realistically, the OSU basketball program is not a job that's in demand. And that is no fun. I don't know who to go after, but I bet we'll all be disappointed when the name is officially called. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen for a long time. And that's deeply depressing.

I'll play tho. Bryce Drew. That's the only name we may actually have a chance of hiring. But, I seriously doubt it.
In brainstorming sessions, it’s not always helpful to be the negative guy killing others ideas and suggestions

F it, my list of top choices are Gregg Popovich, Eric Musselman, Rick Barnes Jay Wright.

I think a transitional coach for a few years would be ideal to clean up quickly for a culture change.

Before committing to a long term coach unless Musselman is interested

Last edited:
Hell boys, let’s get crazy! I want Dagneault, screw the rest of them. Bring in Presti to manage NIL. Bring in Pitino so we cheat properly, you can even bring Boeheim to consult. We need to punish everybody, we need to be so damn good the NCAA has to bow to us.

Last edited:
I like taking chances on guys who did really well in lower divisions because they just know how to win. Good examples in football are Kalen DeBoer and Lance Leipold. So I would hire Ben McCollom at Northwest Missouri State. The man knows how to win championships.

In brainstorming sessions, it’s not always helpful to be the negative guy killing others ideas and suggestions
That wasn't my intention lol. I gave my honest opinion regarding the state of the OSU basketball program. In all my three and half decades of being a diehard OSU basketball (and football) fan, I cannot remember the basketball program being in such dire straits than it is now. It's hard to accept that the OSU basketball program is in such horrible shape potential HC candidates are not going to be established and successful head coaches. It's going to be a no-name.

I cannot control how people interpret my posts... I say what I hold to be true. And I'm not being a buzz kill. I'm simply stating my belief. I have respect for all my fellow OSU fans.. I don't disrespect people. Not my style.

The simple fact is... the program is a dumpster fire and will be for a long time. I want to drink all the sunshine. I desperately hope that the next HC completely changes the downward spiral this program is headed toward. This program is full-steam ahead into complete irrelevancy. It will be extremely difficult finding someone who is willing to try to save this program. I don't think my fellow fans truly understand what has happened to my beloved basketball program.
I really hoped Boynton would succeed. Sadly, Boynton is piloting a program in a nose-dive that is unstoppable. I hope we land a big-name proven winner... one who has the ability to resurrect a lifeless program... That's just not going to happen. We're gonna have to pin all our hope on someone who probably hasn't coached at this level. Hope im wrong tho. I don't think I am.

That wasn't my intention lol. I gave my honest opinion regarding the state of the OSU basketball program. In all my three and half decades of being a diehard OSU basketball (and football) fan, I cannot remember the basketball program being in such dire straits than it is now. It's hard to accept that the OSU basketball program is in such horrible shape potential HC candidates are not going to be established and successful head coaches. It's going to be a no-name.

I cannot control how people interpret my posts... I say what I hold to be true. And I'm not being a buzz kill. I'm simply stating my belief. I have respect for all my fellow OSU fans.. I don't disrespect people. Not my style.

The simple fact is... the program is a dumpster fire and will be for a long time. I want to drink all the sunshine. I desperately hope that the next HC completely changes the downward spiral this program is headed toward. This program is full-steam ahead into complete irrelevancy. It will be extremely difficult finding someone who is willing to try to save this program. I don't think my fellow fans truly understand what has happened to my beloved basketball program.
I really hoped Boynton would succeed. Sadly, Boynton is piloting a program in a nose-dive that is unstoppable. I hope we land a big-name proven winner... one who has the ability to resurrect a lifeless program... That's just not going to happen. We're gonna have to pin all our hope on someone who probably hasn't coached at this level. Hope im wrong tho. I don't think I am.
I think the right coach can win anywhere, and OSU has pretty good resources and fan support. Also, weak basketball programs can be turned around pretty quickly compared to football. Often positive results can be seen in the second year. I will throw the name out there that others have mentioned, Mark Byington. He won at Ga. Southern and James Madison. Both of these programs were so-so before he was hired. I hope whoever we hire that we generate a contract that rewards for success and gives us an out for underperforming. I am too old to suffer another eight years of my life with a dead basketball program.

Yeah I think it’s pretty prisoner of the moment with a dash of self pity to say Oklahoma State cannot attract a high caliber coach or that it’s not in demand.

We just had a top 10 recruiting class. We are a few years out from producing the number 1 pick in the NBA draft. We have a historical venue and top notch facilities. We are in the best basketball conference in the country. And you think caus Boyton can’t get it done that other coaches are thinking “ehh that place can’t win”?

We might not be a blue blood, but we are far away from exile. A talented coach with a competitive nature probably looks at our program as a wasted opportunity, not as a dumpster fire.

I can say with a pretty high level of confidence that we all wanted Boynton to succeed. He’s proven to be a great man and a likable and loyal guy, but a really bad coach. That’s not Oklahoma State’s fault, nor does it scare away a confident coach.

If we're not paying attention to baggage, maybe Chris Beard should be on the list?
Or Billy Clyde? There are several in this pool all with different baggage issues. I would lean to someone with evidence of success as HC without the baggage.

Or Billy Clyde? There are several in this pool all with different baggage issues. I would lean to someone with evidence of success as HC without the baggage.
Why? Baggage doesn’t matter unless it’s conspiring to murder (looking at you Rayplor).

Why? Baggage doesn’t matter unless it’s conspiring to murder (looking at you Rayplor).
I could go with baggage if those responsible have or had demonstrated some restraint and business acumen contractually before bailing off into the deep end of the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back