some perspective

The sad reality that we’re all struggling with and is generating all the bantering back-and-forth boils down to the fact that the formula that has been used by Gundy to produce the best years of Cowboy football in our history will never work again. Finding diamonds in the rough and players with high potential that he develops over a period of years to become elite players will never happen again unless the current state of the transfer portal and NIL change in some way.

Our school will never have the NIL money, with Boone passed on, to be able to compete with schools like Texas offering $50,000 per lineman and other schools elaborate NIL programs. Circumstances and timing could not have been worse for our program and the stark reality that is slapping us all in the face is that these things are combining to make us one of the worst teams in the new Big 12.

Unless significant restrictions, regulations or changes are made to the current transfer portal/NIL situation, I don’t see anything changing the current depressing outlook for our football program.

We’ll still have standout seasons because the surprise guys that become really valuable on the open market have to prove themselves before they are. Our real problem will be to continually recruit the 3 stars, and pick up the portal guys we think can be stars year after year while losing our best players after a year or two. Sustaining a top tier team will be almost impossible. Fortunately for us, the rest of our conference will be in the same boat and fighting the same battles, so we should be able to compete for a B12 championship. The only way to save college athletics is to have some type of NIL cap and parity system, but that’s not going to happen as long as it’s news just how stupidly rich players are getting for basically playing 14-16th grade football. So yes, most of us are screwed.

We’ll still have standout seasons because the surprise guys that become really valuable on the open market have to prove themselves before they are. Our real problem will be to continually recruit the 3 stars, and pick up the portal guys we think can be stars year after year while losing our best players after a year or two. Sustaining a top tier team will be almost impossible. Fortunately for us, the rest of our conference will be in the same boat and fighting the same battles, so we should be able to compete for a B12 championship. The only way to save college athletics is to have some type of NIL cap and parity system, but that’s not going to happen as long as it’s news just how stupidly rich players are getting for basically playing 14-16th grade football. So yes, most of us are screwed.
I'm not seeing the other teams lose starters like we are losing them. We lost almost half our starters to the portal. Other teams are losing one or two. Houston we have a problem.

I was a junior in college the last time we had a losing season in Gundy’s first year. Now I’m almost 40

I was a junior in college the last time we had a losing season in Gundy’s first year. Now I’m almost

The sad reality that we’re all struggling with and is generating all the bantering back-and-forth boils down to the fact that the formula that has been used by Gundy to produce the best years of Cowboy football in our history will never work again. Finding diamonds in the rough and players with high potential that he develops over a period of years to become elite players will never happen again unless the current state of the transfer portal and NIL change in some way.

Our school will never have the NIL money, with Boone passed on, to be able to compete with schools like Texas offering $50,000 per lineman and other schools elaborate NIL programs. Circumstances and timing could not have been worse for our program and the stark reality that is slapping us all in the face is that these things are combining to make us one of the worst teams in the new Big 12.

Unless significant restrictions, regulations or changes are made to the current transfer portal/NIL situation, I don’t see anything changing the current depressing outlook for our football program.
Gundy has done a good job of presenting a competitive team on a consistent basis. We all appreciate what he has done. However, a talented, hungry coach can win at OSU. Other coaches have won here with lesser resources. It's not like we don't have a lot to sell kids. I don't worry about Texas recruiting (NIL payments); we don't even try to out recruit teams like that. We are failing at this critical time because of leadership. Despite Gundy's success, he has flaws, and one is his inability to adapt, and this is a current drag on the program.

Last edited:
We went into the new big 12 of hopes of being a contender. It seems we will be a pretender for a long time.

Hope you enjoy OSU but this is rock bottom
For us

No its not. 0-10-1 was pretty tough to bear. In my 4 years we had no bowl games and before the Pickens gift even we referred to the stadium as rustoladium. Thank goodness for me I caught some of peak Eddie (not the best but we did have an elite 8 year with Doug and Desmond when I was a sophomore) so that was nice but football was nowhere we were then even now. We are a couple years removed from playing in the CFP if not for a half yard. This sucks so far but it doesn't touch rock bottom.

I'm not seeing the other teams lose starters like we are losing them. We lost almost half our starters to the portal. Other teams are losing one or two. Houston we have a problem.

We’re still in the training wheels stage of NIL/portal. We’re experiencing what we are because of our coaches, which is hopefully temporary, not our place on the food chain which is IMO much more permanent unless something major happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom was not only 0-10-1, it was also the local media running their heads about how Old Bumfuzzled should be allowed to turn it around.

The bottom was not only 0-10-1, it was also the local media running their heads about how Old Bumfuzzled should be allowed to turn it around.
He should have been gone after the 88 season. No way he didn't know what was going on that got us the near death penalty. Still took them three more years after 0-10-1 to get rid of him.

He should have been gone after the 88 season. No way he didn't know what was going on that got us the near death penalty. Still took them three more years after 0-10-1 to get rid of him.

The investigation was already underway, so I guess I'd ask whether you think other coaches didn't know this? They'd be beating down OSU's door to take over for Pat & inherit the penalties?

Feels like alot of hindsight.

The investigation was already underway, so I guess I'd ask whether you think other coaches didn't know this? They'd be beating down OSU's door to take over for Pat & inherit the penalties?

Feels like alot of hindsight.
In 88 I said he should be gone, actually he and the coaching staff should have gotten canned in 86 in hindsight also a whole bunch of administration should have resigned. The goons at least had the class to get rid of King Barry and his staff for doing the same stuff. May have made the penalties less severe.

We could outspend the goons for players when it was illegal why not now when it's legal?

No one was wanting to take over after the penalties we got. It was a losing proposition.

In 88 I said he should be gone, actually he and the coaching staff should have gotten canned in 86 in hindsight also a whole bunch of administration should have resigned. The goons at least had the class to get rid of King Barry and his staff for doing the same stuff. May have made the penalties less severe.

We could outspend the goons for players when it was illegal why not now when it's legal?

No one was wanting to take over after the penalties we got. It was a losing proposition.
Oh they didn’t get rid of Barry for the penalties. That super naive.

He was the biggest cocaine kingpin in the southwestern region of the country

Oh they didn’t get rid of Barry for the penalties. That super naive.

He was the biggest cocaine kingpin in the southwestern region of the country

Exactly. Charles Thompson with the coke and the other guys shooting up an apartment complex had alot to do with Switzer's exit.

Back