Sunday Doldrums: Some Thoughts

Interesting, I didn’t remember hearing that from them!!! Didn’t their head coach quit at the end of last season and is now the DC with De Boer at Alabama? Obviously must be a good defensive mind!!! 🤔
Hopefully someone can find the exact quote. I just recall something to that effect. During the aftermath, people were lamenting how predictable we were on offense, and then that quote dropped. It was incredible to hear a player say that, and confirm what random fans were seeing.

Ok, I somehow missed this and now you have my curiosity up.
Said that everything we tried to do was in slow motion. They knew the okays before the snap just due to alignment. Said that their practice team was faster and harder to defend than we were. Same guy went to Arkansas and was running his mouth this year too.

Said that everything we tried to do was in slow motion. They knew the okays before the snap just due to alignment. Said that their practice team was faster and harder to defend than we were. Same guy went to Arkansas and was running his mouth this year too.
If the shoe fits…🤔

Doesn’t sound much different than what you read here.

It’s interesting in the transfer era how the guys that departed are viewed. There were a number of stories done on CU in the off-season that were negative. I heard CU’s resident Homer guys on the radio trashing the guys that left, despite over 40 of them leaving. Every one of those guys probably isn’t a turd, probably some truth in what they said.

No one can answer that. All we can do is base it off of what limited snaps we saw from Rangel or Gundy last year. However, while I can't say who definitively is the better QB, I can tell you that there's not a significant difference between Rangel and Bowman. Where Bowman has the edge over Rangel is in the intangibles- leadership, experience, etc. From just a talent perspective, they're about the same. Rangel is better mechanically, but Bowman is a bit faster at processing.

My gut? Based on very little evidence but through videos of practices and what I've heard and read, Flores is going to be the best QB on this roster. Is he the best QB right now? Probably not. I think he'll end up being the best, however.

My gut? Based on very little evidence but through videos of practices and what I've heard and read, Flores is going to be the best QB on this roster. Is he the best QB right now? Probably not. I think he'll end up being the best, however.
Time and age do help. Seems we might be here. I just hope we don't lose Flores trying to stick with the little bit better at the moment player.

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 8.55.36 PM.png

To me, it's 100% scheme and coaching.

In this era of football, there's no excuse not to be more conistent. A stat today revealed that OSU isn't even in the top 20 in facing loaded boxes this season....so Gundy can drop that. One extra guy in the box should stop Ollie for 5 yards instead of 8 yards, not in the backfield. It's a scheme and adjustment problem. That's on the guys making 6 and 7 figues, and its on Gundy for keeping Dunn and Dickey when there's MUCH better options out there that are also affordable.

Bowman was better at Texas Tech 6 years ago than he is here, the OL can't pick up blitzing mike linebackers, Gordon isn't getting down hill, the receivers should have torched man coverage but struggled a lot versus Utah--who is getting better? Ford was....until he was a non-factor Saturday.

Gundy:
So there's two things, the offensive plan was in place. We didn't get to the right stuff we needed to get to. We didn't make in-game adjustments that we needed to get to okay? So our system is versatile enough that we can do a lot of things, because we've been in it a long time. I just didn't feel like that we got to things that we needed to, and we kind of beat our head against the wall for an extended period of time when we probably should have went another direction."

You’re the head coach Mike.

Next week will be a big 12 championship elimination game. If we drop the next one this season will be just like 2017. High expectations, serious disappointment, and complete reset the next year. I worry next year will be a disaster with the lack of talent returning via graduations and likely transfers.
I think we have a better shot next year. We can get better offensive linemen in the portal that know how to run block. Also, maybe we can pickup a QB that can throw 10 yards.

You’re not going to like this.

I pose the question again, what does the staff do all week outside of practice. They’re not out blazing on the recruiting trail, I’ve stated before it appears they don’t watch film.

AB may have just said the quiet part out loud. Not only did they fail to plan for the main defense Utah’s runs but then they couldn’t adjust quick enough either. Absolutely horrendous.

You’re not going to like this.

I pose the question again, what does the staff do all week outside of practice. They’re not out blazing on the recruiting trail, I’ve stated before it appears they don’t watch film.

AB may have just said the quiet part out loud. Not only did they fail to plan for the main defense Utah’s runs but then they couldn’t adjust quick enough either. Absolutely horrendous.
I hate to say this but someone once told me that coaches like to come to Oklahoma state because they have “work life balance” under gundy. They talked about how hard it was to work for Bill Snyder because he would work from 6am to 2:00am on most days. Bill expected hard work and dedication.

Gundy is on cruise control. He wants the big pay check but doesn’t demand the hours that these guys need to be successful. We were clearly unprepared Saturday and it showed. The problem I see is that they will come back and work hard for a few games and then slack off again leading to more frustration. It’s an endless cycle until gundy decides to commit to championship level football and coaching

I think we have a better shot next year. We can get better offensive linemen in the portal that know how to run block. Also, maybe we can pickup a QB that can throw 10 yards.
I don’t put too much faith in the portal for fixing the OL.

Just watched them try to do that in the offseason and the consistent analysis was that there weren’t many good players in the portal at OL. Their OL is a disaster, again this season.

Back