Sunday Doldrums: Some Thoughts

I hate to say this but someone once told me that coaches like to come to Oklahoma state because they have “work life balance” under gundy. They talked about how hard it was to work for Bill Snyder because he would work from 6am to 2:00am on most days. Bill expected hard work and dedication.

Gundy is on cruise control. He wants the big pay check but doesn’t demand the hours that these guys need to be successful. We were clearly unprepared Saturday and it showed. The problem I see is that they will come back and work hard for a few games and then slack off again leading to more frustration. It’s an endless cycle until gundy decides to commit to championship level football and coaching

Football is not more important than one’s family.

I think we have a better shot next year. We can get better offensive linemen in the portal that know how to run block. Also, maybe we can pickup a QB that can throw 10 yards.
"Maybe next year" is a valid thought when you don't have the personnel or coaching staff to succeed. The problem is that we've seen this exact same group have success consistently last year. The obvious question is, "What changed?" How can you have so much success last season, and fail this miserably after an entire offseason of strength & conditioning, preparing, maturing, and coaches developing? This points to a system failure, which is points to a leadership failure.

Secondly, we have a small NIL budget and a coach that enjoys a more normal work/life balance for him and his staff. If you think we can address our alleged talent problem via the portal, then I think you're off-base. We could have done that this offseason, and we didn't.

What evidence suggests we'll do anything differently or that such changes will yield improvements?

"Maybe next year" is a valid thought when you don't have the personnel or coaching staff to succeed. The problem is that we've seen this exact same group have success consistently last year. The obvious question is, "What changed?" How can you have so much success last season, and fail this miserably after an entire offseason of strength & conditioning, preparing, maturing, and coaches developing? This points to a system failure, which is points to a leadership failure.

Secondly, we have a small NIL budget and a coach that enjoys a more normal work/life balance for him and his staff. If you think we can address our alleged talent problem via the portal, then I think you're off-base. We could have done that this offseason, and we didn't.

What evidence suggests we'll do anything differently or that such changes will yield improvements?
You make some good points. I mean we are the worst run blocking team in the country. I am not sure how the addition of division 1 power 5 transfer who is coached better at a different program wouldn’t improve our oline.

It may not improve our pass protection but maybe we could find some guy who can run block. I don’t deny our lazy staff will consistently let them down.

I just see Arkansas who added a running back and oline from the portal and looks a lot more polished this year.

I think we added one guy from the portal because we assumed our oline was “2 deep”. Next cycle, a lot of these guys will be gone because they are seniors. So this gives us an opportunity to find better coached lineman in the portal

I don’t put too much faith in the portal for fixing the OL.

Just watched them try to do that in the offseason and the consistent analysis was that there weren’t many good players in the portal at OL. Their OL is a disaster, again this season.
Run blocking is a disaster. Pass pro has been very good. Would prefer we stop asking them to do things they can't do.

Back