Sunday Doldrums: Some Thoughts

OSU has had three QBs taken in the NFL since 2009 which isn’t bad!!! Chelf was a gamer but wasn’t NFL material! I don’t think Sanders skill set lent him to being an NFL QB but he could do well in the CFL up in Canada much like his backup in 2019 Drew Brown who has had success up there! I had hopes for Shane Illingworth as he was a “four star” coming out of High School but got impatient and didn’t want to sit behind Sanders and I don’t know what has happened to him since he portaled out after 2021! Rangel probably isn’t the answer but we haven’t seen Flores or the true freshman from California in Maeli Smith! I guess you are saying Tim Rattay isn’t cutting the mustard when it comes to QB development since he is responsible! 😏
I’m saying we’ve had QB issues before Rattay. Zac barely lasted a couple yrs in the pros. Seems to be that his future was more in a coaching capacity as opposed to a player. I’m friends with him, he’s a good dude. But I wouldn’t call him a success story for the brand in the nfl. So weeden we lucked out on. And Rudolph. So pretty much one recruit who has been decent in the NFL. Baffling considering we have been a top 20 team overall the past 15+ yrs.

OL same story. It seems like MG has gotten sappy with Dickey and his family and won’t make a change. Did a TE even touch a ball yesterday after having success the first couple of wks?

Just maddening watching Gundy do the same story different year approach

I’m saying we’ve had QB issues before Rattay. Zac barely lasted a couple yrs in the pros. Seems to be that his future was more in a coaching capacity as opposed to a player. I’m friends with him, he’s a good dude. But I wouldn’t call him a success story for the brand in the nfl. So weeden we lucked out on. And Rudolph. So pretty much one recruit who has been decent in the NFL. Baffling considering we have been a top 20 team overall the past 15+ yrs.

OL same story. It seems like MG has gotten sappy with Dickey and his family and won’t make a change. Did a TE even touch a ball yesterday after having success the first couple of wks?

A QB doesn’t have to be an NFL starter & have a long career in that role to be a very successful college QB. The list is extremely long on those guys.

Do I wish our QB recruiting was better? Of course.

What’s more concerning to me, with over 60% of starting QB’s in DBS being transfers, is that we can maximize that.

I just wish we would do what works and less of what doesn’t work until it starts working. Passing works. Running doesn’t because other teams work to stop the run. When they switch to work on stopping the pass, then the running will work better. And, dammit, work the middle of the field more with slot receivers, tight ends and crossing wide receivers.

I just wish we would do what works and less of what doesn’t work until it starts working. Passing works. Running doesn’t because other teams work to stop the run. When they switch to work on stopping the pass, then the running will work better. And, dammit, work the middle of the field more with slot receivers, tight ends and crossing wide receivers.
I agree with this, but.... Bowman is just a very inconsistent QB. We've seen already this season that he misses wide open guys or doesn't see wide open guys often. We also put him in a position to fail when wasting like 10 plays a game on long bombs, fades, etc.... that he just hasn't shown the ability to complete. The best outcome for a long pass play is PI, which is just stupid.

We need to give him easier and shorter throws if we're gonna be a pass-first team. We can't continue to just waste downs throwing fades down the sideline that have about a 5% chance of success. On that point, I agree with focusing more on the middle of the field, and throwing more often to backs and TEs.

We can't do that with Bowman, unfortunately. Truthfully, I don't really trust Bowman to work the middle of the field. I don't know.. I said this last year and got some hate for it, then we started winning games (in large part thanks to Ollie) and so I just shut up about it. Bowman is not a good QB. He's not the best QB on this roster. He wasn't the best QB on the roster last year, either, FWIW. That said, we shouldn't need him to be a good QB though. We should need him to be a game manager. Yet some how, everyone on offense got worse. The offensive line got worse. Ollie has gotten worse. Bowman has gotten worse, if only because somehow, he forgot how to accurately throw the deep ball. That's why Dunn needs to be fired yesterday. There's no excuse for a team with 11 starters coming back on offense to get worse YoY. That's the most damning evidence out there against Dunn.

Gundy won't fire him though. They'll get back to the drawing board, come up with some way to get things going this year. We'll win 8-10 games. Go to a bowl, probably win the bowl game, then we'll move on to next year. It's the same thing over and over. That's just what we're going to get with Gundy. No, we shouldn't fire him. In my perfect world, Gundy moves to a role within the AD somewhere when ZRob decides to come home and be our HC. That's not going to happen, though. So all I can do is adjust my expectations accordingly.

We can't do that with Bowman, unfortunately. Truthfully, I don't really trust Bowman to work the middle of the field. I don't know.. I said this last year and got some hate for it, then we started winning games (in large part thanks to Ollie) and so I just shut up about it. Bowman is not a good QB. He's not the best QB on this roster. He wasn't the best QB on the roster last year, either, FWIW. That said, we shouldn't need him to be a good QB though. We should need him to be a game manager. Yet some how, everyone on offense got worse. The offensive line got worse. Ollie has gotten worse. Bowman has gotten worse, if only because somehow, he forgot how to accurately throw the deep ball. That's why Dunn needs to be fired yesterday. There's no excuse for a team with 11 starters coming back on offense to get worse YoY. That's the most damning evidence out there against Dunn.

Gundy won't fire him though. They'll get back to the drawing board, come up with some way to get things going this year. We'll win 8-10 games. Go to a bowl, probably win the bowl game, then we'll move on to next year. It's the same thing over and over. That's just what we're going to get with Gundy. No, we shouldn't fire him. In my perfect world, Gundy moves to a role within the AD somewhere when ZRob decides to come home and be our HC. That's not going to happen, though. So all I can do is adjust my expectations accordingly.
Agree 💯 I know several players and they all say Bowman is not the best QB and many WRs do not prefer him. They did not like Spencer sanders either because he threw way too hard and inconsistently on short routes that just needed touch. Bowman had padded #s vs TU. I’ve seen clips that say he might’ve been banged up, not sure if he bruised a hand or finger but the cutesy mahomes back leg side arm crap needs to go asap.

Would be very interested in ZRob as a HC. That $3-5M someday could be intriguing but I would assume Weiberg would want someone with experience maybe like GJ Kinne at TX State or someone similar..

I sometimes get this image of our offensive coaches talking during a game and saying "I don't understand, this worked in practice".
Considering Kasey Dunn literally said in an interview "sometimes I walk into the locker room and have no idea what to say to the players" you might be onto something. That admission alone was enough to make a change. What the South Alabama kids said after last year's game should have been a termination on the spot. But no, here we are again.

He certainly doesn't appear to spend much time studying the opponent and finding their weaknesses and ways to attack them. It's like he is just calling plays and hoping for something good to happen. How many times have we lined up and before the play is even snapped we're all looking at the alignment saying "aw s**t, this is never going to work."

Agree 💯 I know several players and they all say Bowman is not the best QB and many WRs do not prefer him. They did not like Spencer sanders either because he threw way too hard and inconsistently on short routes that just needed touch. Bowman had padded #s vs TU. I’ve seen clips that say he might’ve been banged up, not sure if he bruised a hand or finger but the cutesy mahomes back leg side arm crap needs to go asap.

Would be very interested in ZRob as a HC. That $3-5M someday could be intriguing but I would assume Weiberg would want someone with experience maybe like GJ Kinne at TX State or someone similar..
He seemingly leans backwards to throw, like he's incapable of stepping into a throw. Spencer Sanders did the same thing. Its no wonder they both struggled with overthrowing the short and intermediate routes.

He seemingly leans backwards to throw, like he's incapable of stepping into a throw. Spencer Sanders did the same thing. Its no wonder they both struggled with overthrowing the short and intermediate routes.
Goes back to piss poor blocking snd having happy feet. Ou going through the same thing.

ROTFLMAO, Do you realize HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO GET DRAFTED AS A QB IN THE NFL??? I say other than a couple of games we puked up in that could have resulted in a couple of more conference championships, namely 2013 OU (the defacto conference championship game) and 2021 Baylor in Dallas (the real conference championship we should have WON) we have had it pretty good over the last 16 years with our QBs! It’s an opinion and everyone has one regarding OSU quarterbacking!!!

Oh my God, that new Avatar!!! 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Ok, I somehow missed this and now you have my curiosity up.
I am with Steross, what exactly did he say or what were his remarks? If it is the kiddo who went portal out and ended up at Arkansas and played against us a couple of weeks ago then I just say hey bud 39-31 OSU WINS!!!

Ok, I somehow missed this and now you have my curiosity up.
The USA defensive players mentioned that it was easy to defend us, because we ran the same plays that they saw on tape from the year before, and practiced against. He said they were amazed that we didn't even try to change anything or hide our intentions, and said they could easily predict our plays based on personnel, alignments, and situation. He said their players and coaches were laughing about how easy it was, and that all of their prep was 100% efficient against our offensive scheme.

Last edited:
The USA defensive players mentioned that it was easy to defend us, because we ran the same plays that they saw on tape from the year before, and practiced against. He said they were amazed that we didn't even try to change anything or hide our intentions, and said they could easily predict our plays based on personnel, alignments, and situation. He said their players and coaches were laughing about how easy it was.
Interesting, I didn’t remember hearing that from them!!! Didn’t their head coach quit at the end of last season and is now the DC with De Boer at Alabama? Obviously must be a good defensive mind!!! 🤔

Back