some perspective

I'm a new Poke; so, I'm a little surprised by all of the Gundy angst on this board.

I am from GA and have a degree from UGA. Even coming off two straight national championships and with a current #1 ranking, there are fans screaming for assistants to be fired.

First of all….welcome!

Here’s the legitimate angst and concern among longtime Cowboy faithful with what is going on right now. We had an enormous opportunity after being the second best Big 12 team for the last 10+ years to become the big dog in this new conference. Instead, over the past couple of seasons, Gundy has seemed detached and unwilling to make changes when it’s blatantly obvious that certain assistant coaches absolutely needed to be replaced for the good of the program. He also turned his nose up at embracing the portal game. The easiest recruiting he could have done would have been to make the effort to make the departing players want to stay. He made no effort at all and pretty much blackballed any player that went into the portal even though one option would have been for them to weigh their options and to come back. Part of what’s going on right now is we are paying the price for that unwillingness to make the hard decisions with coaching personnel and his cold detachment toward players. For goodness sake he doesn’t even call them by their names but uses their jersey number to refer to them.

What is more concerning for the long term and what I believe will cause Gundy to have to be replaced is this. Mike Gundy has done a remarkable job in the last 15 years of finding hidden gems amongst three star athletes and doing a masterful job of developing those athletes over four years to where our seniors on each team are very good football players. Look back no further than the defense with Malcolm Rodriguez and company as well as the numerous elite players that we have sent to the NFL during that time on offense. With just a few exceptions, most of those players came here as three star or less players and were developed into elite players. That has been a winning formula for this program. Now with the radical changes in the transfer portal and NIL, that formula is now worthless and undoable. Look at the nearly two dozen very good players that we developed in our “system” and our culture that are now playing on other teams because they left last year and went for the money and/or more high profile teams. Gundy won’t be able to use that development formula any longer because he won’t have four years to develop a player and if he does develop them in a couple of years they’ll be off to greener pastures.

Without the ability to have time to develop players and team chemistry Gundy is the left with the challenge to win the portal battle which he will never do. Players do not relate well to him and he is often distant and aloof. Pretty much the opposite of Coach Prime or even coaches like Klein and Venables. It’s really unfortunate the timing of all of this because we had this window of opportunity to be an elite Big 12 program and it looks more like we’re headed to be a bottom feeder in the new Big 12 conference. For those of us who have supported the program for many decades and a long time before Gundy was coach with our attendance and financial support, that’s a very legitimate reason for angst and disappointment.

You can be both grateful for all Coach Gundy has done and still not support him taking a wrecking ball to all of it before he leaves. He’s been compensated pretty handsomely for his efforts! He needs to immediately adapt and get engaged or hand the program off to someone who will!

First of all….welcome!

Here’s the legitimate angst and concern among longtime Cowboy faithful with what is going on right now. We had an enormous opportunity after being the second best Big 12 team for the last 10+ years to become the big dog in this new conference. Instead, over the past couple of seasons, Gundy has seemed detached and unwilling to make changes when it’s blatantly obvious that certain assistant coaches absolutely needed to be replaced for the good of the program. He also turned his nose up at embracing the portal game. The easiest recruiting he could have done would have been to make the effort to make the departing players want to stay. He made no effort at all and pretty much blackballed any player that went into the portal even though one option would have been for them to weigh their options and to come back. Part of what’s going on right now is we are paying the price for that unwillingness to make the hard decisions with coaching personnel and his cold detachment toward players. For goodness sake he doesn’t even call them by their names but uses their jersey number to refer to them.

What is more concerning for the long term and what I believe will cause Gundy to have to be replaced is this. Mike Gundy has done a remarkable job in the last 15 years of finding hidden gems amongst three star athletes and doing a masterful job of developing those athletes over four years to where our seniors on each team are very good football players. Look back no further than the defense with Malcolm Rodriguez and company as well as the numerous elite players that we have sent to the NFL during that time on offense. With just a few exceptions, most of those players came here as three star or less players and were developed into elite players. That has been a winning formula for this program. Now with the radical changes in the transfer portal and NIL, that formula is now worthless and undoable. Look at the nearly two dozen very good players that we developed in our “system” and our culture that are now playing on other teams because they left last year and went for the money and/or more high profile teams. Gundy won’t be able to use that development formula any longer because he won’t have four years to develop a player and if he does develop them in a couple of years they’ll be off to greener pastures.

Without the ability to have time to develop players and team chemistry Gundy is the left with the challenge to win the portal battle which he will never do. Players do not relate well to him and he is often distant and aloof. Pretty much the opposite of Coach Prime or even coaches like Klein and Venables. It’s really unfortunate the timing of all of this because we had this window of opportunity to be an elite Big 12 program and it looks more like we’re headed to be a bottom feeder in the new Big 12 conference. For those of us who have supported the program for many decades and a long time before Gundy was coach with our attendance and financial support, that’s a very legitimate reason for angst and disappointment.

You can be both grateful for all Coach Gundy has done and still not support him taking a wrecking ball to all of it before he leaves. He’s been compensated pretty handsomely for his efforts! He needs to immediately adapt and get engaged or hand the program off to someone who will!

Thank you for a well-reasoned response.

First of all….welcome!

I would only add that his formula has actually been in place much longer than the last couple of years. He initiated this approach after Monken left, and its been a steady decline since then. There have been spikes in Win % over that timeframe due to weak schedules, great assistant hires (who left quickly), or Herculean individual players, but the formula has remained the same.

Add the OAN shirt drama (shouldn't have even been news, but whatever...) and the NIL + Portal era, and the game has very quickly passed him by.

We need a complete reset in Cowboy Football if we're going to innovate at the rate required to keep up in the new era, and Gundy has proven that he's unwilling to make the requisite changes to keep us near the top.

I would only add that his formula has actually been in place much longer than the last couple of years. He initiated this approach after Monken left, and its been a steady decline since then. There have been spikes in Win % over that timeframe due to weak schedules, great assistant hires (who left quickly), or Herculean individual players, but the formula has remained the same.

Add the OAN shirt drama (shouldn't have even been news, but whatever...) and the NIL + Portal era, and the game has very quickly passed him by.

We need a complete reset in Cowboy Football if we're going to innovate at the rate required to keep up in the new era, and Gundy has proven that he's unwilling to make the requisite changes to keep us near the top.

Re-read my post, I said the last 15 years, not the last couple of years. Pretty much since he’s been here. It will never work again in the new portal/NIL environment. Unfortunately I do not believe our current AD and President will be bold enough to make the dramatic moves required to save the program. We need a massive splash like offering Monken a huge salary he won’t be able to make in the NFL. It’s a pipe dream and won’t happen but something like that would be the only thing that would save the program. Hiring some “up and comer” ain’t gonna get it done!

Re-read my post, I said the last 15 years, not the last couple of years. Pretty much since he’s been here. It will never work again in the new portal/NIL environment. Unfortunately I do not believe our current AD and President will be bold enough to make the dramatic moves required to save the program. We need a massive splash like offering Monken a huge salary he won’t be able to make in the NFL. It’s a pipe dream and won’t happen but something like that would be the only thing that would save the program. Hiring some “up and comer” ain’t gonna get it done!
No way we'll be able to afford a splash hire with our current resources and the inevitable costs of Gundy's contract (even if reduced). We would need Boone Pickens 2.0 to come along and have the same commitment and involvement in the program, and I don't see that happening.

We're gonna need to innovate and be really smart about this, or just get really lucky somehow.

Given how the basketball coach search panned out, I am not hopeful that our current Admin has the ability to pull this off.

Given how the basketball coach search panned out, I am not hopeful that our current Admin has the ability to pull this off.
The current admin has only made 1 basketball hire, & so far it's looking pretty good.

Not keeping Spencer Sanders was one of Gundy's biggest blunders. The 2021 season does not happen without Sanders' heroics. Also, Gundy's lackluster recruiting has finally caught up with him.
Spencer Sanders being a 4 year starter is a sign of Gundy's lackluster recruiting. The guy can't even start at Ole Miss. Sure, compared to the three being trotted out on the field this season he is stellar, but that speaks more to how bad qb recruiting has been not how good he was.

Do you have any new perspective to share with us this week? Anymore comparisons to what is going on at Georgia when it's looking like a certainty that we are staring down a 2 or 3 win season?

No way we'll be able to afford a splash hire with our current resources and the inevitable costs of Gundy's contract (even if reduced). We would need Boone Pickens 2.0 to come along and have the same commitment and involvement in the program, and I don't see that happening.

We're gonna need to innovate and be really smart about this, or just get really lucky somehow.

I agree it would be difficult for us to pay Gundy's buyout & hire a proven coach and increase our NIL game, but we don't need $100 million to do that. We are able to afford Gundy's $7.5 million and we were able to pay Derek Mason $1 million to be DC, while also giving Dunn around $750k. We can pay people just fine. I have zero doubt that for the right hires, we could pay our HC $8 million and both coordinators $1 million. Not national title level, but plenty competitive.

The question is can we afford all of that and a settled buyout, and get money for NIL? Probably not all of it done well. Best case is Weiberg gets the donor support to force Gundy to make staffing changes and imposes him some restrictions on qualifications (no more guys in divisions with 36 scholarships, playing in abandoned high school stadiums).

I also wonder if our infamous recruiting budget has more to do with what Gundy is willing to do and less on financial restrictions? Those reporters are stating our budget based upon documents that state what was spent. What was spent does not mean that is all that is available. I believe Gundy isn't interested in doing the things in recruiting to separate OSU from the pack and he needs his hand forced.

I agree it would be difficult for us to pay Gundy's buyout & hire a proven coach and increase our NIL game, but we don't need $100 million to do that. We are able to afford Gundy's $7.5 million and we were able to pay Derek Mason $1 million to be DC, while also giving Dunn around $750k. We can pay people just fine. I have zero doubt that for the right hires, we could pay our HC $8 million and both coordinators $1 million. Not national title level, but plenty competitive.

The question is can we afford all of that and a settled buyout, and get money for NIL? Probably not all of it done well. Best case is Weiberg gets the donor support to force Gundy to make staffing changes and imposes him some restrictions on qualifications (no more guys in divisions with 36 scholarships, playing in abandoned high school stadiums).

I also wonder if our infamous recruiting budget has more to do with what Gundy is willing to do and less on financial restrictions? Those reporters are stating our budget based upon documents that state what was spent. What was spent does not mean that is all that is available. I believe Gundy isn't interested in doing the things in recruiting to separate OSU from the pack and he needs his hand forced.

Good post, but a moot point. Unless something really catastrophic happens ( like everyone quits the team) MG’s not going anywhere. One losing season after 17 consecutive winners won’t be enough to get him fired, and TBH it shouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post, but a moot point. Unless something really catastrophic happens ( like everyone quits the team) MG’s not going anywhere. One losing season after 17 consecutive winners won’t be enough to get him fired, and TBH it shouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hence paragraphs 2 & 3.

Do you have any new perspective to share with us this week? Anymore comparisons to what is going on at Georgia when it's looking like a certainty that we are staring down a 2 or 3 win season?

I was on the road yesterday and was not able to follow the OSU game. I got home during the second quarter of the UGA game. The offense had 28 points and over 300 yards of offense, and it lost a possession due to a muffed punt. People were still complaining about the OC and QB.

Midway through the third quarter and up 42-21, the coach put in the backup QB who led a TD drive. He then put in the third string QB who threw an interception, and people started complaining about the point spread.

Perspective: Some folks are just gonna gripe.

I was on the road yesterday and was not able to follow the OSU game. I got home during the second quarter of the UGA game. The offense had 28 points and over 300 yards of offense, and it lost a possession due to a muffed punt. People were still complaining about the OC and QB.

Midway through the third quarter and up 42-21, the coach put in the backup QB who led a TD drive. He then put in the third string QB who threw an interception, and people started complaining about the point spread.

Perspective: Some folks are just gonna gripe.
Sorry but your analogy doesn’t work. We’ve lost two we should win. We suck and it’s going to be a long season

This thread gives me zero perspective. Here's some real perspective.....Gundy gets paid over $7.625 and is become increasingly more lazy over recruiting and coaching hires as the years go by. He kept a lot of fans happy because we'd still go to some mid level bowl with every once in a while a NY6 bowl. He lost his fire years ago and now the chickens are really going to come home to roost this season.
This! 1000 %

Back