Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Tulsa

Green threw a pick that looked just like the pick 6 last week. Only difference was the guy didn’t score. If you pressure him he just throws it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That may be why Boise didn’t come up with NIL money for him

Rewatching this game and a few things stand out on the O-line:
1) Glass did not look good. He got pushed backwards pretty much all day and against a much smaller DE/LB. The snaps he actually did well on were the ones he went against Tulsa's bigger DE #92. I don't know much about o-line play, but it looked like when he had the chance to set his feet, he was fine. When the DE was fast off the ball and could get to him before he was set, he just lost all leverage.
2) We are a senior laden team, and our seniors are playing really poorly. Michalski and Cooper struggled to find the right guy to block, or even get there in time. It's hard to see, so I'm not going to post many gifs, but this is an example. Michalski was supposed to pull and seal the back side with the help of the TE, both miss and #55, who was their responsibility, is able to hit Ollie behind the LOS.
3) We have the physical ability upfront, what seems to be lacking is technique and/or knowing assignments. This is a coaching issue. I've not been happy with Dickey for a long time, and I am not seeing anything that justifies keeping him around. The simple fact of the matter is that this line is largely the same from last year. How have they gotten worse at run blocking? What is being done in the offseason? We desperately need a change.
4) Tulsa seemed to know our offensive cadence. I'll have to rewatch the Arkansas game to see if this was happening last week as well, but Tulsa were often faster off the snap than we were. I don't know if there's a "tell" before we snap the ball, or if they just figured out the cadence, but in the defense of our blockers, it's hard to stop a guy who's already running downhill at you when the ball is snapped. This is on Dunn. We have got to change our rhythm/cadence. Watching the safety cheat down and then start sprinting right before we snap the ball only to hit Ollie in the backfield was frustrating.

Rewatching this game and a few things stand out on the O-line:
1) Glass did not look good. He got pushed backwards pretty much all day and against a much smaller DE/LB. The snaps he actually did well on were the ones he went against Tulsa's bigger DE #92. I don't know much about o-line play, but it looked like when he had the chance to set his feet, he was fine. When the DE was fast off the ball and could get to him before he was set, he just lost all leverage.
2) We are a senior laden team, and our seniors are playing really poorly. Michalski and Cooper struggled to find the right guy to block, or even get there in time. It's hard to see, so I'm not going to post many gifs, but this is an example. Michalski was supposed to pull and seal the back side with the help of the TE, both miss and #55, who was their responsibility, is able to hit Ollie behind the LOS.
3) We have the physical ability upfront, what seems to be lacking is technique and/or knowing assignments. This is a coaching issue. I've not been happy with Dickey for a long time, and I am not seeing anything that justifies keeping him around. The simple fact of the matter is that this line is largely the same from last year. How have they gotten worse at run blocking? What is being done in the offseason? We desperately need a change.
4) Tulsa seemed to know our offensive cadence. I'll have to rewatch the Arkansas game to see if this was happening last week as well, but Tulsa were often faster off the snap than we were. I don't know if there's a "tell" before we snap the ball, or if they just figured out the cadence, but in the defense of our blockers, it's hard to stop a guy who's already running downhill at you when the ball is snapped. This is on Dunn. We have got to change our rhythm/cadence. Watching the safety cheat down and then start sprinting right before we snap the ball only to hit Ollie in the backfield was frustrating.
In the GIF posted above, the Guard is pulling out to kick the playside DE. When DE’s close down really hard like he did, Guards are taught a technique called “log/pin”, which is basically where if the DE closes down really hard and they can’t kick them out, they pin them in and then the other puller rolls around wider to block the playside ILB. So, the linemen’s actually did their job correctly. The H-Back didn’t take a good angle to go around the guard and Ollie didn’t follow his pullers.

All that said, our OL play has to improve if we want to win a Big 12 Championship. But Ollie and the H-Backs also have to improve.

In the GIF posted above, the Guard is pulling out to kick the playside DE. When DE’s close down really hard like he did, Guards are taught a technique called “log/pin”, which is basically where if the DE closes down really hard and they can’t kick them out, they pin them in and then the other puller rolls around wider to block the playside ILB. So, the linemen’s actually did their job correctly. The H-Back didn’t take a good angle to go around the guard and Ollie didn’t follow his pullers.

All that said, our OL play has to improve if we want to win a Big 12 Championship. But Ollie and the H-Backs also have to improve.
This where misdirection plays can really help us since we can’t seem to get the push we need. Baylor and aranda have some very good offensive schemes that involve this concept. Maybe Dunn is saving these type of plays but we need something to change the run blocking

The only problem with that theory is the ILB wasn't even in the play. The DE is the one who made the TFL. There were also no pullers for Ollie to follow. This is a pretty standard "power read" run play in the gap scheme. Michalski was in a bad position, almost as if he forgot that he had a TE coming across the formation to seal off the high side, the DE got under him and was able to hit Ollie in the backfield.

Ultimately, my point is though that our fan base has had the same three criticisms for years now: o-line, the use of the Cowboy Back/TE, and an uninspiring and at times predictable offensive scheme. All three of those were on display yesterday. If we want to win the B12, there's going to need to be substantial improvement on the offensive side of the ball.

Oh, and one last thought: Ollie is absolutely missing the lanes when they do open up. I don't know if it's because he's not confident in his o-line that they'll be there, or what it is, but he's missing the mark. He's got all the talent you could want, and we're largely not taking full advantage of what he's capable of doing, but he needs to improve in that regard.

Sorry, one additional thought before I get back to writing my paper. The concerning part about this is that last year, when we struggled to run block early on in the season, we were using a predominantly zone/stretch blocking scheme. When we went with Ollie as the lead back and transitioned more to a gap scheme, we were able to make significant progress in the running game. This year, it seems like we've regressed in our ability to execute the gap blocking scheme despite having largely the same personnel. That screams coaching, to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Sorry, one additional thought before I get back to writing my paper. The concerning part about this is that last year, when we struggled to run block early on in the season, we were using a predominantly zone/stretch blocking scheme. When we went with Ollie as the lead back and transitioned more to a gap scheme, we were able to make significant progress in the running game. This year, it seems like we've regressed in our ability to execute the gap blocking scheme despite having largely the same personnel. That screams coaching, to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
Maybe its just chess & checkers right now.
Utah may have delusional fans but their coaches are not. Gundy and company may work on things for ooc and then have the new wrinkles for conf play. Alot of the Arky game was execution from Bowman & the rec'rs. I think for ooc they were just taking what the defense was scheming for while aiming for Gundy's hardheaded attachment to "balance".

Back