2023 championships

After two rounds, we are 17th in points. I have no idea how Lee will be able to justify this. Maybe they "had fun". We have 2 guys left in the championship bracket. 5 guys in consolations with a LOOOOONG road to score major points. Carter gets a little bit of a pass because he's probably hurt. We just couldn't find an upset other than Sheets and that was matched by Doucet's loss. We will score some points tomorrow and won't finish 17, but OUCH

Is it just coincidence that we haven't won a national championship since Pat left the program?

Round 3 - Friday (11 AM)

Championship Round:

133: (2) Fix v. (10) Lucas Byrd (Illinois): Low scoring match, but Fix rode him entire 2nd period. Should have been 3-1, but they called a fishy stall call on Fix. On to the semis. RBY did not totally dominate either.

174: (5) Plott v. (4) Chris Foca (Cornell): Plott gets pinned by Foca. Absolutely unreal. (And where I stopped posting here in real time I was so pissed). Plott drops to consolations

Consolations (Friday 11 AM)

149: (23) Voinovich v. (9) Jaden Abas (Stanford): Voinovich with the TD in SV. Nice upset here.

157: (10) Gfeller v. (25) Jason Kraisser (Iowa St.): Kraisser pins G. Just SMH. OUT

165: (31) Sheets v. (17) Yant (UNI): Yant up 3-2 after 1 and 6-4 after 2. Yant rides him for two minutes, has 3 takedowns to two reversals for the 10-5 win. Sheets OUT.

184: (10) Wittlake v. (8) Matt Finesilver (Michigan): Finesilver gets the 5-1 win and Wittlake just never seemed like he was with it. OUT

197: (15) Luke Surber v. (32) Max Shaw (UNC): Surber gets two nice takedowns in the 1st, lots of riding time and another TD 3rd to win 9-3. Looked good, against an inferior opponent.

Consolations 2

149: (23) Voinovich v. (16) Jackson Arrington (NC St): Vic just couldn't get anything going, and gave up 2 takedowns. 1-5 loss. OUT.

197: (15) Surber v. (10) Jacob Cardenas (Cornell): Cardenas outs on a TD clinic with 5 against Surber (to none). 12-5 loss. OUT.

125: Reece Witcraft - OUT
141: Carter Young - OUT
HWT: Konner Doucet - OUT

This round could not have gone worse for the Pokes. Vic gets a nice upset then turns around and gets beat. Just really really bad.

Last edited:
Yes? Do you have some information that the rest of us don't?
Ok, so here's the report of what it looks (looked) like before Session 3 started at noon.

141: (4) Carter Young beat (5) Clay Carlson from S. Dakota State 4-2, then medically forfeited in teh fisrt few seconds against (1) Andrew Alirez. His knee looked baaad. Will face Casey Swiderski (ISU) in consolation semis if he can go.
Considering your own comment and just watching him favor that knee (then and yesterday)...constantly readjusting the pad, visibly avoiding putting weight on it in the down position (and immediately rolling away from it)...it doesnt take much to discern the kid was "giving it a go". No worries, you can feel how you want about it, but I give him more than a "little bit of a pass" for gutting it out...and did pretty well considering.
I'm still disappointed with the overall results, but the kids out there pushing through obvious injury (Young, Witcraft, Wittlake) make me proud...both when they try and when they decide to bow out.

And yes, I did hear something. It was from a source I do not feel comfortable sharing about the kid's medical info without permission. If accurate, I had a similar injury as a catcher and he was definitely in pain and limited in range of mobility around the mat.

Considering your own comment and just watching him favor that knee (then and yesterday)...constantly readjusting the pad, visibly avoiding putting weight on it in the down position (and immediately rolling away from it)...it doesnt take much to discern the kid was "giving it a go". No worries, you can feel how you want about it, but I give him more than a "little bit of a pass" for gutting it out...and did pretty well considering.
I'm still disappointed with the overall results, but the kids out there pushing through obvious injury (Young, Witcraft, Wittlake) make me proud...both when they try and when they decide to bow out.

And yes, I did hear something. It was from a source I do not feel comfortable sharing about the kid's medical info without permission. If accurate, I had a similar injury as a catcher and he was definitely in pain and limited in range of mobility around the mat.
Ah I see - so your complaint was that I said "probably" instead of "definitely"...well since you apparently only know for sure by a "secret" source, I'm comfortable with my initial wording. An injury was not (still has not) been confirmed - so "probably" it is. Weird hill to die on here, my man.

Ah I see - so your complaint was that I said "probably" instead of "definitely"...well since you apparently only know for sure by a "secret" source, I'm comfortable with my initial wording. An injury was not (still has not) been confirmed - so "probably" it is. Weird hill to die on here, my man.

stripes lighten GIF

No one is dying on hill here...
I said you can have your opinion. My opinion is that guys get hurt and still tough it out. It isnt my place to doubt their ability in those situations...mostly because I dont think athletes should be pressured to sacrifice long-term damage for my fandom.
This is an open forum...the source isnt secret...its called discretion.

Voinovich with a gutsy hard-fought win over a guy ranked way ahead of him, immediately followed by Gfeller ending his career getting pinned in the first period by the 25th seed.

That was a shocking pin of Plott. He was looking fine and was suddenly thrown to his back and the ref gave the guy the quickest PIN I've ever seen. It wasn't much more than Plott quickly rolling across his back and the ref slapped the mat. His shoulders couldn't have been on the mat more than a 1/4th or a second!

It seems like development is a problem. Our guys have not taken big leaps from year or year. I’m not sure if it’s because she have light conference competition? The guys in the room don’t respond to the old school coaching of Smith? But something has to change soon

Back