Regionals

I was a kid and watched all of Ward's seasons from 85 on.

And no, he didn't win a title, but he did make the finals twice, and of course we all believe there was no way Georgia was going to beat us twice. The difference, to me, was that whenever OSU would come up short back then, it was a surprise. You expected them to succeed because they usually did. They played the same way from game 1 to game 60.

When he'd do a postgame show with Bill Platt, he'd talk for 15-20 minutes each time and I'd listen to all of it. I'm sure some people complained, but you knew he was getting the best out of his players every year.
Actually made the finals three times, 1981, 1987 and 1990! I am a little older than you and started following OSU baseball in 1980! Ward is a legend!!! 😁

I think the post about Holliday/Ward was more about this message board than actually comparing Ward to Josh. I think it was saying this board would have even gone after Ward had it been in existence.
Of course it was... He used an idiotic false equivalency to take a job at posters who have some pretty solid points though. That's why I asked him to stop.

Now, assume Josh had 6 CWS appearances in his 11 seasons. That's a better comparison and the reactions from this board would be quite different.

Believe it not, us old timers bitched about things like this long before the Internet existed. ;)

Of course it was... He used an idiotic false equivalency to take a job at posters who have some pretty solid points though. That's why I asked him to stop.

Now, assume Josh had 6 CWS appearances in his 11 seasons. That's a better comparison and the reactions from this board would be quite different.

Believe it not, us old timers bitched about things like this long before the Internet existed. ;)
True. I can remember listening to games w my dad and after a loss him saying he wouldn’t listen to another OSU game until Ward made his hitters quit taking until they saw a strike. Of course we listened to the next game.

If you remember the Bedlam Brawl in 1989 we can be friends.
I was sitting in the stands on the last row of the lower section in front of the walkway at Old Allie P and when our pitcher, Carl Meyers, plunked the Goon batter suddenly you see all Hell break loose and everyone was trying to run down to the first row to see all the fights in front of the dug out! Especially Bobby Perna beating the Hell out of Darron Cox, the mouthy Goon catcher!!! It was quite the experience!!! 😆😆😆

Gary Ward had some generational players during his tenure. I guess we need to buy better players For all that’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gary Ward had some generational players during his tenure. I guess we need to buy better players For all that’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Those players rarely play college baseball anymore. Jackson Holliday would have been one, but even his uncle couldn't get him to stay.

Benge is rated as the #19 prospect in this year's MLB draft so that's about as good as you can hope for.

Those players rarely play college baseball anymore. Jackson Holliday would have been one, but even his uncle couldn't get him to stay.

Benge is rated as the #19 prospect in this year's MLB draft so that's about as good as you can hope for.
Yep. And 2 of our HS commits ranked in the top 100 as well.

I think the post about Holliday/Ward was more about this message board than actually comparing Ward to Josh. I think it was saying this board would have even gone after Ward had it been in existence.
You basically have the same three camps in this scenario every time-from Ford to Anderson to Boynton & on & on.
The Fire everyone camp. The it can only get worse camp if we move on from this coach. And the pragmatic
I was there. I was standing on the landing of the stairs by the 1b side when it happened. What got overshadowed was the Ray Ortiz and Manny Cervantez had huge HRs in that game.
Didn't a bench guy named Wallberg tie it up late with a pinch hit 3 run shot too?

Man, fun times!

You basically have the same three camps in this scenario every time-from Ford to Anderson to Boynton & on & on.
The Fire everyone camp. The it can only get worse camp if we move on from this coach. And the pragmatic

Didn't a bench guy named Wallberg tie it up late with a pinch hit 3 run shot too?

Man, fun times!
Greg Walhbergh hit the pinch hit 3 run shot!

Back