Interesting Look @ our Program over 20 Years

View attachment 7513
Flirty Flirting GIF
We'll have to divert some NIL money to the headset budget, but I believe we'll see a strong return for our money.

You're right. Our offense is elite, and I'm glad Dunn is the one calling plays for us this weekend further proved how right you were.

I was speaking offensively , which was was ranked 44th in the country for PPG that year, so clearly not competitive with the best teams in the country. We had an elite defense that carried us that season.
The game of football is played in three phases, offense, defense and special teams!!! We had an elite defense in 2021 much like what we had in the mid 1980s, yes I am that old to have seen games back then!!! Those offenses were Thurman Thomas left, right, up the middle with an occasional pass to the receivers or Tight Ends (Pat Jones era) and it was the five or six NFL talents we had on defense between 1983 to 1985 that made those teams good! Don’t forget that Offense has carried Gundy teams through much of his tenure and many including myself grinched and groaned about our defense not stopping anyone and OSU having to outscore other teams to win!!!

Look, all I'm saying is Dana Holgerson is sitting at home twiddling his thumbs. Bring him in next week, give him the bye week to install some stuff and go from there.
Seriously, I wish Mike would consider bringing him and Gary Patterson in as analysts if they would be interested! Both have been considered gurus on their particular sides of the ball!!!

You're right. Our offense is elite, and I'm glad Dunn is the one calling plays for us this weekend further proved how right you were.

I was speaking offensively , which was was ranked 44th in the country for PPG that year, so clearly not competitive with the best teams in the country. We had an elite defense that carried us that season.

You blathered on about not being competitive for a decade.

You were wrong.

Put down the shovel.

Seriously, I wish Mike would consider bringing him and Gary Patterson in as analysts if they would be interested! Both have been considered gurus on their particular sides of the ball!!!
I don't know who all we have for analysts right now, but this is a pretty decent idea.

Patterson was an analyst at Texas last year, don't know if he still is. I would expect that Gundys salary makes it hard to afford the elite analysts out there....we certainly aren't outbidding Texas regardless.
Well, Google is your friend as they say! It appears Patterson is currently working as an analyst for Aranda on the defensive side of the ball this year! The Baylor defense has been decent this year but their offense has been atrocious at times which is why they struggle!!! 🤔

Well, Google is your friend as they say! It appears Patterson is currently working as an analyst for Aranda on the defensive side of the ball this year! The Baylor defense has been decent this year but their offense has been atrocious at times which is why they struggle!!! 🤔
Didn’t UT get in trouble last year for him being seen on a headset, which analysts can’t do?

Holgerson and Monken were handed the best offensive group in OSU's history. While the 2006 through 2009 teams were the best overall teams of Gundy's tenure, Weeden and Blackman (with ok defenses) were good enough to win a national championship.. and OSU should've played in the championship despite the Iowa State loss (damn you Iowa State Snowcones! *Shakes fists angrily*).

Man.. I remember visiting Shaggy Bevo (old Texas Longhorns message board) and seeing many Texas U fans said OSU will probably win a national championship after Weeden and Blackman said they'd be back for the 2011-2012 season. That 2011-2012 season probably was OSU's best and only chance ever ,of playing for a national championship. I still can't believe Iowa State's terrible defense somehow stopped the best offense (by far) in all of college football. Unreal.

I never understand why Yurcich received so much hate on the old Orange Power message board. He performed miracles with talent that shouldn't have performed as well as it did. I mean, Mason was a good QB, no doubt. Without Rudolph, maybe Mike Y. wouldn't have been as successful as he was with Mason. Still, my point remains valid.

Last edited:
Holgerson and Monken were handed the best offensive group in OSU's history. While the 2006 through 2009 teams were the best overall teams of Gundy's tenure, Weeden and Blackman (with ok defenses) were good enough to win a national championship.. and OSU should've played in the championship despite the Iowa State loss (damn you Iowa State Snowcones! *Shakes fists angrily*).

Man.. I remember visiting Shaggy Bevo (old Texas Longhorns message board) and seeing many Texas U fans said OSU will probably win a national championship after Weeden and Blackman said they'd be back for the 2011-2012 season. That 2011-2012 season probably was OSU's best and only chance ever ,of playing for a national championship. I still can't believe Iowa State's terrible defense somehow stopped the best offense (by far) in all of college football. Unreal.

I never understand why Yurcich received so much hate on the old Orange Power message board. He performed miracles with talent that shouldn't have performed as well as it did. I mean, Mason was a good QB, no doubt. Without Rudolph, maybe Mike Y. wouldn't have been as successful as he was with Mason. Still, my point remains valid.
Say what you want about Yurcich, and I was never a fan of his WR screen offense, his QB's had fantastic mechanics. One of the frustrating things is watching SS never develop to keep his elbow up when he threw, and watching Bowman not be able to develop his footwork to be square to his target. Both things lead to off balance and weak balls when trying to push it downfield.

Say what you want about Yurcich, and I was never a fan of his WR screen offense, his QB's had fantastic mechanics. One of the frustrating things is watching SS never develop to keep his elbow up when he threw, and watching Bowman not be able to develop his footwork to be square to his target. Both things lead to off balance and weak balls when trying to push it downfield.
This has always frustrated me as well. I'm curious who our players work with during the offseason. If they are only being coached by our staff, I think they are seriously limiting their development.

I have a buddy here in Dallas who does RB training for youth, NFL Draft Prep, and Offseason work for College/NFL guys. Clients are people like Zeke (DAL), Tony Pollard (TEN) , Travis Etienne (JAX), Damion Pierce (HOU), CD Lamb (DAL), Ray Davis (BUF), Chuba (CAR), Caden Durham (LSU), Ja'Quinden Jackson (Arky).

Patterson was an analyst at Texas last year, don't know if he still is. I would expect that Gundys salary makes it hard to afford the elite analysts out there....we certainly aren't outbidding Texas regardless.
Patterson won't change and that's what got him fired at TCU. He would not be good to bring in.

Patterson won't change and that's what got him fired at TCU. He would not be good to bring in.
HCMG won't ever bring in a coach like Patterson or Monken. They are too bold and loud and "we aren't going to yell and cuss at our players here." Direct Gundy quote. Guys like Patterson and Monken won't even get a sniff while he's in charge.

I don't think Gundy rewatched the game before his press conference. The comments of only 5 bad plays by Bowman and we dropped the run game because we were down by 2 scores. He must have missed all the back foot throws at receivers feet, the way wide throw to Ollie on the sideline, etc etc. And we stopped running while essentially tied. Ollie had basically no yards in the 2nd quarter after finally getting going late-ish in the 1st.

I don’t normally get bothered by his approach in press conference replies, but this is complete crap.

I don't think Gundy rewatched the game before his press conference. The comments of only 5 bad plays by Bowman and we dropped the run game because we were down by 2 scores. He must have missed all the back foot throws at receivers feet, the way wide throw to Ollie on the sideline, etc etc. And we stopped running while essentially tied. Ollie had basically no yards in the 2nd quarter after finally getting going late-ish in the 1st.

I don’t normally get bothered by his approach in press conference replies, but this is complete crap.
Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

HCMG won't ever bring in a coach like Patterson or Monken. They are too bold and loud and "we aren't going to yell and cuss at our players here." Direct Gundy quote. Guys like Patterson and Monken won't even get a sniff while he's in charge.

Monken? Todd Monken? The guy who WAS our offensive coordinator? That guy? The guy who was already here and is an OC in the NFL? He's not coming back because Mike won't bring him in, he's not coming back because he's in the NFL. I'd take Monken in a heartbeat, but he's not coming back, even if Gundy made him an offer.

Patterson's defense was embarrassing his last two years. He wasn't going to adapt to changes in CFB offenses, so they fired him.

Man, you must be taking crazy pills.

Monken? Todd Monken? The guy who WAS our offensive coordinator? That guy? The guy who was already here and is an OC in the NFL? He's not coming back because Mike won't bring him in, he's not coming back because he's in the NFL. I'd take Monken in a heartbeat, but he's not coming back, even if Gundy made him an offer.

Patterson's defense was embarrassing his last two years. He wasn't going to adapt to changes in CFB offenses, so they fired him.

Umm, have you noticed our defensive stats from last year and the first five games of this year! You call Patterson’s last two years embarrassing, well then our performance from all of last year to the first five games of this season is humiliating!!! 🥴

None of that is related to what I said. I’m talking about Gundy and his culture.

Back