OSU vs #15 Creighton

Lol, announcer just said first road game win against OSU for Creighton since 1943. Helluva job Boynton!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t even care about OSU Basketball at this point and really haven’t for a couple of years. Sad because at one time it was my favorite sport when Eddie Sutton was there. We are light years away from ever being good again. It’s painfully obvious that this team will definitely finish below .500 for the season. At this point, I would cut our losses, bite the bullet on the buyout and let Scott Sutton coach the team for the rest of the year.
Any of the coaches on the bench could accomplish what Boynton is doing now.

Please Disperse Naked Gun GIF

Would love to hear a journalist covering the team ask Boynton why he waits for double digit runs by the opposing team before calling a timeout? What is his philosophy on utilizing timeouts?

To be fair he did (for maybe the 1st time) when the run started in the 1st half. We were still down single digits. I’m not sure what adjustments we made bc we just got abused by ball screens. And on the other end we couldn’t score.

We’ve got some pieces. I think small daily and garrison give you legit big12 guys. Thompson is just so perplexing. In the right system at the right moments he could be a 10-12 a night guy but he’s not a primary guy. Daily w the right development could be a star.

But our rotations are so all over the place (Garrison got subbed out 2 minutes in). We never get any consistency. We don’t have that one guy or one set that can get us a bucket or get to the line.

How do you continue to get absolutely worked with the ball screens? No jumping out in front of the offensive player to prevent the it. Just continue to run into the screen. Get on the hip if the offensive player and watch them penetrate for a layup or kick out for a three. Just inept.

All year long. About the only thing Boynton has done really well over the years is coaching defense and having a very solid rebounding team. We are absolute garbage in both those departments on top of our standard zero identity offense. Going to be a LONG year, boys and girls.

Coach Boynton seems like a great guy, but this has to end. The program is at rock bottom. He may be able to recruit some really good athletes, but every year he fails to recruit guys that help make those players better. He has a team full of the same type of players. Creighton was a lot of fun to watch and is the type of basketball I would love for OSU to play.

I spoke with a dad of a recruit that was close to coming to OSU. He encouraged his son to look elsewhere. He liked Boynton, but wasn't a fan of the type of basketball OSU plays (isolation). His son wasn't a star (top 150), but he was the type of player you need on the court to be successful.

The program in my opinion needs a complete reset from top to bottom. OSU needs to hire a coach that recruits basketball players not just athletes. Creighton proved last night that basketball IQ trumps athleticism in college on most nights.

Last edited:
Came here to see how bad we lost. Made zero effort to even watch this last night because I knew it would be a guaranteed loss and that's how little interest I have in watching a Boynton team play. Man, I used to love OSU mens basketball so much.
I think just looking at the box score, game flow chart, and team stats speak volumes considering we all know our tendencies.
1. Small with 9 more shot attempts the next closest player = lots of hero ball at the end of the shot clock b/c our sets blow, if they even exist...
2. BT with blanks across the stat sheet = not involved with the game, foul trouble, but come on man. maybe still too injured...
3. Out rebounded again = we are not nearly as tough defensively or as athletic as we have been in recent years.
4. Only 9 turnovers = Small had the ball in his hands a LOT, IE hero ball. I guess the only reason this is ok is that he is clearly our best player.
5. Multiple massive scoring droughts = Boynton didn't use timeouts effectively.

Not to mention his rotations are mind boggling. Seems like when a player starts getting in a rhythm, they come out of the game. Boynton seems to have no feel on how to coach during games. I also don't understand why JMW and Hickson see minutes over any of the freshman (Dow included). JMW is only good when he gets hot, other than that he doesn't bring much to the court besides bad shots.

I also had to do a double take when I heard we were ranked in the 330s in FT shooting percentage. How does a high level basketball program recruit such poor shooters? This seems to be a problem every year.

Not to mention his rotations are mind boggling. Seems like when a player starts getting in a rhythm, they come out of the game. Boynton seems to have no feel on how to coach during games. I also don't understand why JMW and Hickson see minutes over any of the freshman (Dow included). JMW is only good when he gets hot, other than that he doesn't bring much to the court besides bad shots.

I also had to do a double take when I heard we were ranked in the 330s in FT shooting percentage. How does a high level basketball program recruit such poor shooters? This seems to be a problem every year.
If you want to quickly compare any stats from previous Boynton years, use this. I haven't started updating it with this years info yet, so it is current as of the end of last season.

B-ball.JPG

I think just looking at the box score, game flow chart, and team stats speak volumes considering we all know our tendencies.
1. Small with 9 more shot attempts the next closest player = lots of hero ball at the end of the shot clock b/c our sets blow, if they even exist...
2. BT with blanks across the stat sheet = not involved with the game, foul trouble, but come on man. maybe still too injured...
3. Out rebounded again = we are not nearly as tough defensively or as athletic as we have been in recent years.
4. Only 9 turnovers = Small had the ball in his hands a LOT, IE hero ball. I guess the only reason this is ok is that he is clearly our best player.
5. Multiple massive scoring droughts = Boynton didn't use timeouts effectively.
At the game there were some things that had me scratching my head.

Garrison starts. I didn’t notice really anything bad w his play. 2:08 into the game he inserts Marsh. I thought maybe he saw something that needs corrected. Nope. Garrison walks by him gets a butt pat, takes a seat and not 1 coach got w him. Why sub at that point? In addition Marsh’s body language was pretty rough all night. He definitely projected frustration when he came out. And to a previous post, Daily was in a rhythm in the 1st. Shot was falling and he was aggressive. Boynton inexplicably takes him out and during our drought leaves him parked.

We also start the game w BY on Alexander. From the tip Bryce was really physical w him. It made me think since they were both from Oklahoma it was a personal thing. Bryce gets 2 fouls in the first half that were completely unnecessary. Just bodying him across the lane. Picks up his 4th foul early in 2nd half on the same type of play. Completely unnecessary. Also as much as BT frustrates honestly the only real comeback chance we had was for him to get hot.

Finally we kept running high ball w small getting into the lane for good looks but he was hesitant w his decision to shoot or force their big to commit. He probably missed 6-8 really good looks within 10 feet. If he makes 75% of those which he should it’s a game.

I didn’t listen to postgame on way home but heard Boynton this morning on a play back.

1) Game plan was to be very physical w Alexander. But he completely psyched his own player out and got him taken out of the game 2x w foul trouble. I’m ok if the analysis says to be physical but once you saw it wasn’t working why did you stick w it and why did you assign that to BT in his 1st game back?

2) Boynton also said game plan was to use high ball screen but not to take as many mid range 2s. WHAT???? They weren’t mid range and you caused Small to be hesitant on his trigger. Looking back I understand how we could have missed so many seemingly makeable 10 footers or less. And secondly if you didn’t want that and that’s what we were getting you either quit calling that set or you change and tell Small to be aggressive and get his shot.

It’s crazy that Boynton rotates like 10 guys every year. Except for the year with lindy and dizzy where we had like 7 scholarship players. The transfers we got this year are not Big 12 caliber players except for Small. Neither is JMW. Boynton will screw up the the development of these freshman like he’s has with so many other players over the last 7 years. Any average power 5 coach could scheme open looks for Connor Dow but he will never be any good with Boynton because there’s no offense. It’s such a shame.

At the game there were some things that had me scratching my head.

Garrison starts. I didn’t notice really anything bad w his play. 2:08 into the game he inserts Marsh. I thought maybe he saw something that needs corrected. Nope. Garrison walks by him gets a butt pat, takes a seat and not 1 coach got w him. Why sub at that point? In addition Marsh’s body language was pretty rough all night. He definitely projected frustration when he came out. And to a previous post, Daily was in a rhythm in the 1st. Shot was falling and he was aggressive. Boynton inexplicably takes him out and during our drought leaves him parked.

We also start the game w BY on Alexander. From the tip Bryce was really physical w him. It made me think since they were both from Oklahoma it was a personal thing. Bryce gets 2 fouls in the first half that were completely unnecessary. Just bodying him across the lane. Picks up his 4th foul early in 2nd half on the same type of play. Completely unnecessary. Also as much as BT frustrates honestly the only real comeback chance we had was for him to get hot.

Finally we kept running high ball w small getting into the lane for good looks but he was hesitant w his decision to shoot or force their big to commit. He probably missed 6-8 really good looks within 10 feet. If he makes 75% of those which he should it’s a game.

I didn’t listen to postgame on way home but heard Boynton this morning on a play back.

1) Game plan was to be very physical w Alexander. But he completely psyched his own player out and got him taken out of the game 2x w foul trouble. I’m ok if the analysis says to be physical but once you saw it wasn’t working why did you stick w it and why did you assign that to BT in his 1st game back?

2) Boynton also said game plan was to use high ball screen but not to take as many mid range 2s. WHAT???? They weren’t mid range and you caused Small to be hesitant on his trigger. Looking back I understand how we could have missed so many seemingly makeable 10 footers or less. And secondly if you didn’t want that and that’s what we were getting you either quit calling that set or you change and tell Small to be aggressive and get his shot.

I look at that very closely--does ANY coach talk to players when they come to the bench? I think I'm pretty accurate when I say it happens 20% of the time. For as many mistakes as these guys make, there's no coaching points? Nothing to correct? Maybe if we're a top 5 team full of seniors...but not any recent Oklahoma State team--they need to be corrected!!

HCMB has had enough time.
Time for him to go.

If we lose another non-conference game, fire him then. Or certainly if he loses a second game of the remaining non-con games.

Replace him with Scott Sutton (or another on staff) for rest of season. Simple.

Then if we can't afford an outsider coach because of the Boynton contract, see if Sutton or another on current staff will coach in future season(s) at reduced (and/or partly deferred, assuming legality) rate of under a million $, until we're out from under HCMB's bad remaining contract.

I look at that very closely--does ANY coach talk to players when they come to the bench? I think I'm pretty accurate when I say it happens 20% of the time. For as many mistakes as these guys make, there's no coaching points? Nothing to correct? Maybe if we're a top 5 team full of seniors...but not any recent Oklahoma State team--they need to be corrected!!
That’s just it. Garrison has some really nice upside. At 2 minutes in he hasn’t broken a sweat. If you see a mistake I think it’s a great idea to pull him off as a freshman set him w a coach and watch a sr on the floor hopefully exemplify what you want.

None of that happened so it looks like you just subbed to sub at 2 minutes in.

Looks to me like you frustrate a young freshman by yanking him and he doesn’t know why and you frustrate a sr who was starting but put him in 2 minutes in.

Small deal in the overall picture of problems we have but goes to show we aren’t managing players or the game.

HCMB has had enough time.
Time for him to go.

If we lose another non-conference game, fire him then. Or certainly if he loses a second game of the remaining non-con games.

Replace him with Scott Sutton (or another on staff) for rest of season. Simple.

Then if we can't afford an outsider coach because of the Boynton contract, see if Sutton or another on current staff will coach in future season(s) at reduced (and/or partly deferred, assuming legality) rate of under a million $, until we're out from under HCMB's bad remaining contract.
This I a young team in the toughest conference in the country

Back