LIV Golf

Lakecowboy

Fore!
Patreon Supporter
SaudiPIF is backing the Asian Tour this week and had a huge turn out of LIV golfers. Imagine if the OWGR was accurate right now, the Asian Tour field strength would outrank the PGA Tour this week. 🤣

Attachments

• 97035F27-8A0D-4E28-A88B-8D7ABCBB4594.jpeg
    97035F27-8A0D-4E28-A88B-8D7ABCBB4594.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 8
I do and watched most of the Pebble Beach Pro Am and will watch each round of this week's Phoenix Open. I just did not reply because I do not like anything about LIV and felt a reply (like this one) may open up a discussion I am tired of having over the past year.

I do and watched most of the Pebble Beach Pro Am and will watch each round of this week's Phoenix Open. I just did not reply because I do not like anything about LIV and felt a reply (like this one) may open up a discussion I am tired of having over the past year.
There had to be at least one

I hate the drama around it all, but with so many OSU golfers on there and my passion for following golf I watched a number of their rounds. The coverage had some good aspects and some issues, at the end of the day it was golfers I like to watch hit golf shots. Hoping the majors don’t do something stupid and limit their fields to exclude LIV players.

I hate the drama around it all, but with so many OSU golfers on there and my passion for following golf I watched a number of their rounds. The coverage had some good aspects and some issues, at the end of the day it was golfers I like to watch hit golf shots. Hoping the majors don’t do something stupid and limit their fields to exclude LIV playe
Have started at least a dozen replies, each one deleted as they inevitably end up as a set-up for an opinion-based argument. Attempt at the new me with the new site....I have to give arguments every day that affect 8-9 figure real estate transactions and it is exhausting. I come here to be informed, not get into arguments. Getting too old for that $#!Ă·.

Best I can respond with is....I am a traditionalist and choose to follow the PGA. IMO, if someone voluntarily opts out in the name of more money, more power to them but I disagree with them playing in the PGA whenever it suits them.

But even that opens the door for arguing a point.

Have started at least a dozen replies, each one deleted as they inevitably end up as a set-up for an opinion-based argument. Attempt at the new me with the new site....I have to give arguments every day that affect 8-9 figure real estate transactions and it is exhausting. I come here to be informed, not get into arguments. Getting too old for that $#!Ă·.

Best I can respond with is....I am a traditionalist and choose to follow the PGA. IMO, if someone voluntarily opts out in the name of more money, more power to them but I disagree with them playing in the PGA whenever it suits them.

But even that opens the door for arguing a point.
Yeah I don’t think they should be allowed to play on the PGAT after deciding to leave for a rival start up tour. I think we are in agreement there.

Yeah I don’t think they should be allowed to play on the PGAT after deciding to leave for a rival start up tour. I think we are in agreement there.
But if a tournament has had an established policy of allowing past champions to play, that does not bug me either.

But if a tournament has had an established policy of allowing past champions to play, that does not bug me either.
Are you talking about past champions for PGAT events or for majors? The PGA Tour is not affiliated with any Majors. They are all ran by independent organizations.

Are you talking about past champions for PGAT events or for majors? The PGA Tour is not affiliated with any Majors. They are all ran by independent organizations.
It is a wicked web when defining how the USGA, PGA, PGA Tour and the individual tournament hosts interact together. (I volunteer at the Byron Nelson and it is interesting to see the behind the scenes interaction knowing there is even more going on in back rooms that nobody gets to see. Last year I had the opportunity to interact with THE GUY who sets up the tee boxes for each round which in of itself was amazing insight)

Regardless of the affiliation, IMO, if the "pre-LIV" criteria for any tournament (be it sanctioned by any of the bodies or not) awarded past champions with automatic entry to future events for whatever term, then I have no problem with a LIV player playing at the event, for example Bubba Watson and The Masters. My acceptance is a little more occluded when events, again like The Masters, has criteria that allows a certain number of past champions of other tournaments (again, regardless of organizational affiliation), but since it has been outlined for decades, meh, I can live with it.

What I do not believe in is LIV players just dropping in whenever they want as they see fit.

It is a wicked web when defining how the USGA, PGA, PGA Tour and the individual tournament hosts interact together. (I volunteer at the Byron Nelson and it is interesting to see the behind the scenes interaction knowing there is even more going on in back rooms that nobody gets to see. Last year I had the opportunity to interact with THE GUY who sets up the tee boxes for each round which in of itself was amazing insight)

Regardless of the affiliation, IMO, if the "pre-LIV" criteria for any tournament (be it sanctioned by any of the bodies or not) awarded past champions with automatic entry to future events for whatever term, then I have no problem with a LIV player playing at the event, for example Bubba Watson and The Masters. My acceptance is a little more occluded when events, again like The Masters, has criteria that allows a certain number of past champions of other tournaments (again, regardless of organizational affiliation), but since it has been outlined for decades, meh, I can live with it.

What I do not believe in is LIV players just dropping in whenever they want as they see fit.
Agree with you there!!! What is your stance on the OWGR? I’m of the opinion LIV events should count but heavily weighted down based off format. I think to be the official world golf rankings you have to find a way to evolve with the sport and where the best players are playing.

Agree with you there!!! What is your stance on the OWGR? I’m of the opinion LIV events should count but heavily weighted down based off format. I think to be the official world golf rankings you have to find a way to evolve with the sport and where the best players are playing.
Agree, but I think it will take time. Not because of spite, but they need to establish a track record so a ranking is equitable. Tour Mexico has been around for a while and just got included. Not that I am the barometer, but outside of the former PGA players, I had not heard of almost all the other players in last week's tournament but that was not a LIV event. Straight-up LIV only events will be difficult to gauge

Agree, but I think it will take time. Not because of spite, but they need to establish a track record so a ranking is equitable. Tour Mexico has been around for a while and just got included. Not that I am the barometer, but outside of the former PGA players, I had not heard of almost all the other players in last week's tournament but that was not a LIV event. Straight-up LIV only events will be difficult to gauge
Yeah last weeks event received full points because the Asian Tour is established. I do think if you have enough top tier players move they could accelerate the process of inclusion for the 2023 League year, but I understand if they wait. At the end of the day I just want to see the best golfers in the world at the majors, regardless of where they play the rest of the time.

Maybe someday he won’t have to play in the minor leagues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
agreed. that's the only place he can win - on a tour where every player is making so much money, none of them really care if they win or not. LIV is an exhibition tour - nothing more. kind like taking you kid to see the Harlem Globetrotters..........

agreed. that's the only place he can win - on a tour where every player is making so much money, none of them really care if they win or not. LIV is an exhibition tour - nothing more. kind like taking you kid to see the Harlem Globetrotters..........
Same logic could be applied to Tiger, Rory, Spieth, JT, etc. It’s simply not true, these guys are competitors in their DNA and first place is $4mil plus huge team payouts and ownership stakes for the top players on their teams. They very much want to win.

Back