Trump 2024 Run Thread

You're ignoring the gray bars on the graph. Those are recessions. The point is that during all the other presidents' terms, the deficit was increased around a recession. Look at the graph, every time the line shows a downward trend it slashes through a gray bar. Because everyone knows that the government should spend more in economically bad times to stimulate the economy, and spend less in economically good times. There is no gray bar in sight as Trump increased the deficit. Because he allowed the deficit to increase during good economic times.
The comparison in the graph is GDP. However, the rate of national debt growth increased more with the previous president and during times of economic growth (ie last three years of Obama vs first three years of Trump).

A graph showing that would tell you same story.

The comparison in the graph is GDP. However, the rate of national debt growth increased more with the previous president and during times of economic growth (ie last three years of Obama vs first three years of Trump).

Also incorrect. Do you look at the data?

Federal Debt: Total Public Debt

The last three years of Obama (Q1 2014 - Q4 2016), the federal debt increased by $2.3 trillion. In the first three years of Trump (Q1 2017 - Q4 2019) it increased $3.3 trillion.

Also incorrect. Do you look at the data?

Federal Debt: Total Public Debt

The last three years of Obama (Q1 2014 - Q4 2016), the federal debt increased by $2.3 trillion. In the first three years of Trump (Q1 2017 - Q4 2019) it increased $3.3 trillion.
The rate of national debt growth. Obama (‘14-16) = 16.9% vs Trump (‘17-19) = 16.1%

BTW, debt growth from ‘11-13 was 23.4%.

Last edited:
The rate of national debt growth. Obama = 16.9% vs Trump = 16.1%
Do you realize that absolute deficit doesn't matter? It's the relative to GDP that matters.

I'm no economic prodigy but maybe this comparison isn't totally stupid. Think of someone taking out a loan. If Bill Gates takes out a loan for 100k it's not much of a big deal, if I do that's huge... because 100k to me is much bigger than 100k to a billionaire.

Relative to GDP is what matters.

I am surprised at your response. I get this is a very liberal/progressive board, but I thought you understood better. You not comprehending we have a spending problem is unfortunately indicative of a large portion of our citizens. The same group that continually looks to others to pay their bill.

It is telling that you think your graph informs you that Trump is worse than all others, but you ignore the factually data point that the previous President grew debt at a larger rate (albeit not a significant difference).

I would say it's a very centrist board, you must not know many true liberals, haha.

To be really clear: yes, we have a spending problem. But you are saying that Trump is your guy due to his economic policies when we have factual data that he was the worst at spending when things were good.

I would say it's a very centrist board, you must not know many true liberals, haha.

To be really clear: yes, we have a spending problem. But you are saying that Trump is your guy due to his economic policies when we have factual data that he was the worst at spending when things were good.
I am NOT saying Trump is my guy. I was saying I don’t worry about “the economy” any different with his potential 2nd term vs Biden’s.
As I stated in my initial posts, lots of things to be concerned about with Trump, I disagree that the economy is one of them.
If you look at one particular data point, someone not understanding could come to conclusion of worst. That is why I showed using another particular data point, over same time line, showed differently.

I am NOT saying Trump is my guy. I was saying I don’t worry about “the economy” any different with his potential 2nd term vs Biden’s.
As I stated in my initial posts, lots of things to be concerned about with Trump, I disagree that the economy is one of them.
If you look at one particular data point, someone not understanding could come to conclusion of worst. That is why I showed using another particular data point, over same time line, showed differently.
Trump could be world renowned as the greatest economist of all time, my portfolio during his term could have been remarkable and I still wouldn’t vote for that lying multiple felon for any public office. He wants to be King and destroy our country in the process. I’ll vote for the candidate that desires to form a more perfect union, and not destroy it.

Yes the US gov has a spending problem, he didn't say otherwise. That said, Trump, was worse that those you complain about because for most of his term the economy wasn't in need of driving up the deficit as much. When Trump is called out you pretend "they are all the same". Chart shows that's not the case when looked at with context of economic conditions.

Obama conducted the longest continuous period of job growth is US history coming out of the great recession and you can see the deficit shrink continuously from 2009 on until 2016 then it goes the other way (higher % of GDP), then 2021 it starts back on the trend back.

What great economic downturn lead to Trump's deficit growth pre-Covid?

I wouldn't consider this a very liberal board. It's just not GOP centered and that you see as very liberal.
He is so far to the MAGA right that even centrists and right leaning moderates are radical leftists or RINOs according to him.

man flailing GIF
excited yay gif GIF

I have a couple progressive friends and I don't think we have a single progressive who posts here IMO.
Progressives are the MAGA of the Left. Extreme Progressives got their BUTTS handed to them last night in the Primaries. and Rightfully so..

MAGA candidates took it on the chin as well in the primaries

Seems American Voters are rejecting the Extremism of BOTH parties or seem more inclined to if last nights primaries were any indication of a Nationwide Trend

He is so far to the MAGA right that even centrists and right leaning moderates are radical leftists or RINOs according to him.
This is Exactly what I thought when I read that.

There are VERY conservative GOP centrist on this board....I would venture to say even the Majority.....but for a MAGA Trumper this board is chocked full of Liberals and RINO's

All Hail Trump or your Not a Republican don't you Know

This is Exactly what I thought when I read that.

There are VERY conservative GOP centrist on this board....I would venture to say even the Majority.....but for a MAGA Trumper this board is chocked full of Liberals and RINO's

All Hail Trump or your Not a Republican don't you Know
You are drinking some serious koolaid. My favorite national politicians, Paul Ryan (#1 favorite), Ronald Reagan, John McCain, Joe Lieberman, and Joe Manchin (for his no vote on BBB).
I am not remotely close to MAGA. Not everything to the right of AOC is MAGA.
I am strongly fiscally conservative and as I’ve said I am strongly in favor of extending the tax cuts.

You are drinking some serious koolaid.

You should wipe your red mustache prior to that claim.
It is easy for you to scapegoat and just say "this is a liberal board." But, you really need to have a look at who is posting telling you that you are wrong. I've been posting here (well, OP) for years and most of them are moderately conservative and/or libertarian.
You are simply not listening because you want to be right more than you want to learn or understand another perspective. Claiming that I "don't understand there is a spending problem" after reading my posts shows you want to battle, not listen.
Nobody is agreeing with you about what he did. Not a single person. Surely that means something to you?

Progressives are the MAGA of the Left. Extreme Progressives got their BUTTS handed to them last night in the Primaries. and Rightfully so..

Seems American Voters are rejecting the Extremism of BOTH parties or seem more inclined to if last nights primaries were any indication of a Nationwide Trend
Yet Boebert remains... sadly

Politics right now is like the Big 12 with OU and Tex in it.....

You have two groups that carry the conversation and most people hate both of them but those two are so loud everyone else is irrelevant. If you say hey that was a good play by OU you get shouted down as a Texas fan.....if you say Texas is stupid for switching to that scheme you get shouted down as a Gooner. Really you just thought that one play was good or the scheme was dumb. Of my entire circle of folks actual close relations, acquaintances, colleagues, family I would say maybe 10% actually like either candidate....another 25% has a definite opinion of who they want to vote for and 65% strongly dislike both. Couple that with with nothing you hear from our national media is the actual truth/what should be being covered and viola here we are.....fussing over a Hitler quoting felon and a walking vegetable with Palin-esque family issues. We just go in cycles of just voting for the opposite every time it comes around not because there is any substance just because they are different than what is going on at the time of the election. Idiots....and I don't mean I don't agree with you so you are an idiot I mean actual idiots all across both sides.... in office bring hard times and with the state of the global economy and aggression we're more than likely going to get what we asked for.

That last sentence alone should make you terrified of him. Regardless of any other stance Trump holds, if the executive branch gets ahold of the fed then I'm outta here because that's the day everything goes sideways.
It will be slow. They will attempt to fire Powell and replace him w a loyalist (ironic in that Trump appointed him chair). They have also said Trump wants a seat for the president on Fed Board. The plans also call for Trump to be “consulted” on Fed policy plans including rate changes.

Back