OT: General CFB Thread

I work with a UNLV grad and he said the message boards are BLAZING right now on this. Basically, the QB played just enough games to keep his red-shirt during UNLV's best start (rankings wise) in history. Allegedly, someone reach out to him and said "we can pay you so you should take a RS and transfer", but that and everything else, would be rumors at this point. For what its worth, the last twitter profile he followed is/was Arizona State...

I hate the transfer portal having zero boundaries.

I work with a UNLV grad and he said the message boards are BLAZING right now on this. Basically, the QB played just enough games to keep his red-shirt during UNLV's best start (rankings wise) in history. Allegedly, someone reach out to him and said "we can pay you so you should take a RS and transfer", but that and everything else, would be rumors at this point. For what its worth, the last twitter profile he followed is/was Arizona State...

Interesting. The info out there so far definitely suggests there’s more to come.

I hadn’t even thought of the angle you brought up but something like that now seems entirely possible.

This is the kind of BS that will start driving fans away from the sport. It sounds like he was made some promises that weren't kept.

This is the kind of BS that will start driving fans away from the sport. It sounds like he was made some promises that weren't kept.
Yeah that’s the story according to his dad. Says he’s owed $85k. If true, UNLV appears to have really screwed up here.

And I agree with your point. I’d argue that the poaching is already driving people away. At least the NFL has a structure. Where CFB is headed is just downright against the spirit of competition.

Heard his agent on Sirius earlier.

In a nutshell the kid stayed at Holy Cross last spring to graduate. When he & the agent were fielding off, they claim the OC at UNLV made the $100k offer. No contract was signed though because NCAA dictates the deal can’t be signed until the kid is on campus.
Kid arrives on campus, asks about the contract and Barry Odom says it never went through him so he’s not honoring it.

One of their RB’s chose to redshirt today also.

Heard his agent on Sirius earlier.

In a nutshell the kid stayed at Holy Cross last spring to graduate. When he & the agent were fielding off, they claim the OC at UNLV made the $100k offer. No contract was signed though because NCAA dictates the deal can’t be signed until the kid is on campus.
Kid arrives on campus, asks about the contract and Barry Odom says it never went through him so he’s not honoring it.

One of their RB’s chose to redshirt today also.
I’ve heard that a lot of the promised money at A&M never showed, either.

I’ve heard that a lot of the promised money at A&M never showed, either.
This is what happened with the Jordan Radhada deal at Florida too.

Unless I’m missing something, this is a really stupid rule that favors the institutions and allows them to make a verbal offer, then back out when the kid arrives. Who in the world would accept a job offer, move across the country on nothing but a verbal offer? Yet, by the current rules, it appears that’s how it’s working.

And I thought things couldn’t get any slimier.😩

His stats are OK, nothing to write home about! 21-48 passing (43%) for 318 yards but has 6 TD passes to one interception and he runs very well apparently as he has 39 rushes for 253 yards with a 6.5 ypc average and one TD! Seems ALOT like the Johnson kid OSU faces this weekend!!!

Lincoln Riley:
There’s no story there. I know you guys are looking for one. There’s no story there. Guy’s out here working hard. He’s in a new system, with a new coach. He’s getting better, and I think he’s going to get better. It should be hard to play D-line at USC. It ought to be kind of hard. It wasn’t hard last year, that’s why we weren’t very good up front."

It was announced this week that Notre Dame DB Jaden Mickey would not participate in another game this season, after already playing in four contests. He plans to enter the transfer portal.

I'm having a hard time understanding the UNLV situation. Schools still aren't allowed to pay players directly so how did the OC offer $100K? And whoever was supposed to be paying has to know the negative publicity from this will hurt the program which is kind of the opposite of the point of paying players in the first place.

Also, did this agent just take the OCs word and not verify with the school or whoever was supposed to be paying? Maybe the kid should get a new agent as well as a new school.

I'm having a hard time understanding the UNLV situation. Schools still aren't allowed to pay players directly so how did the OC offer $100K? And whoever was supposed to be paying has to know the negative publicity from this will hurt the program which is kind of the opposite of the point of paying players in the first place.

Also, did this agent just take the OCs word and not verify with the school or whoever was supposed to be paying? Maybe the kid should get a new agent as well as a new school.
I’m guessing the OC either screwed up and was speaking on behalf of the collective during the recruitment process. Would seem to make sense.

Yes, according to the agent it was a verbal agreement because a written offer is not allowed under the current rules, until the player has arrived on campus. Again, similar to the QB at Florida arriving and finding out that the collective did not have the $$$ that was promised.

Back