Interview with Coach Gundy

He’s not entirely wrong. Occasional flashes of excellence only makes the mediocrity stand out even more. And in the end in 2021 we didn’t /couldn’t capitalize on our opportunities. One conference championship in a generation and coming close once more is mediocre. There are a ton of factors involved but at the EOD we’re a slightly above average program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is totally wrong. You are saying that we are mediocre because our top running back was out and couldn’t close the deal for a conference championship and a shot at the playoff by being short by less than a foot on one run. Total BS.

That is totally wrong. You are saying that we are mediocre because our top running back was out and couldn’t close the deal for a conference championship and a shot at the playoff by being short by less than a foot on one run. Total BS.

Horseshoes and hand grenades. I’m saying we’re mediocre because since MG has been head coach a kid reaching drinking age has seen one conference championship in his lifetime. As I said there are a ton of factors that play into that. I think we play over our heads many years considering not that many kids above 3 stars want to come to Stillwater. But we have winning seasons but not fantastic ones, which makes us once again, slightly above average, and average is the definition of mediocre. Doesn’t mean I haven’t loved the Pokes since the 60’s and hope for a championship year after year, it just means I’m a realist.

Horseshoes and hand grenades. I’m saying we’re mediocre because since MG has been head coach a kid reaching drinking age has seen one conference championship in his lifetime. As I said there are a ton of factors that play into that. I think we play over our heads many years considering not that many kids above 3 stars want to come to Stillwater. But we have winning seasons but not fantastic ones, which makes us once again, slightly above average, and average is the definition of mediocre. Doesn’t mean I haven’t loved the Pokes since the 60’s and hope for a championship year after year, it just means I’m a realist.

E5D37D0A-D815-4FC8-950B-78DF2BBC615D.jpeg

I didn’t start with the word and it’s probably not the exact one I would have chosen because as I said I believe we’re slightly above average. I just said the poster who originally did use it wasn’t completely wrong. But mediocre is literally a synonym for average, so… mediocre plus?

I didn’t start with the word and it’s probably not the exact one I would have chosen because as I said I believe we’re slightly above average. I just said the poster who originally did use it wasn’t completely wrong. But mediocre is literally a synonym for average, so… mediocre plus?

Just research how many teams have the same consecutive winning seasons streak. If we are mediocre or just above average there should be lot of teams with as many or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can we just rename this thread to:

Gundy Sucks….Change my mind
Could just as easily be called "Gundy Is the Greatest Coach to Ever Live....Change My Mind"

Nobody is going to change their mind about Gundy unless he fundamentally changes his approach (for better or worse).

We'll get 8-10 wins, 2nd or 3rd in the conference, and a mediocre to above average bowl game every year, and will have zero shot at taking the next step to elite, because that's what Gundy's system does. That either frustrates you or you think its amazing, and your perspective likely depends on when you started watching OSU football, and what the all-time win % is during your OSU life versus what we have today.

I'm a huge Gundy supporter and I feel those who believe otherwise are absurdly ridiculous with outlandish and unobtainable goals for OSU football. Having said that, considering the QB situation, this may be Gundy's first losing season in, what, 17 years? If so, oh well. It's still unbelievable that Gundy has achieved 17 straight winning seasons. And anyone who thinks 17 straight winning seasons is just not acceptable, please check yourself before you display to this community how daft and ridiculous you are.

Could just as easily be called "Gundy Is the Greatest Coach to Ever Live....Change My Mind"

Nobody is going to change their mind about Gundy unless he fundamentally changes his approach (for better or worse).

We'll get 8-10 wins, 2nd or 3rd in the conference, and a mediocre to above average bowl game every year, and will have zero shot at taking the next step to elite, because that's what Gundy's system does. That either frustrates you or you think its amazing, and your perspective likely depends on when you started watching OSU football, and what the all-time win % is during your OSU life versus what we have today.
So, Gundy's system is designed to lose a certian amount of games? On purpose?!? Is it the same system run by every team in the SEC except Georgia and Alabama? If you don't like it now, who ever is the coach going forward, will need more fan and donor money pouring into NIL deals. It is finally time for those who want more to pony up. Here is a good place you can start

And for the record - I haven't heard anyone say he is the greatest to every live but, plenty think the other way.
And also for the record - NIL and the portal were part of the interview.

I'm a huge Gundy supporter and I feel those who believe otherwise are absurdly ridiculous with outlandish and unobtainable goals for OSU football. Having said that, considering the QB situation, this may be Gundy's first losing season in, what, 17 years? If so, oh well. It's still unbelievable that Gundy has achieved 17 straight winning seasons. And anyone who thinks 17 straight winning seasons is just not acceptable, please check yourself before you display to this community how daft and ridiculous you are.

I’ve laid my wager in Vegas, took the over at 6.5. Collecting will be sweet. 😀

So, Gundy's system is designed to lose a certian amount of games? On purpose?!? Is it the same system run by every team in the SEC except Georgia and Alabama? If you don't like it now, who ever is the coach going forward, will need more fan and donor money pouring into NIL deals. It is finally time for those who want more to pony up. Here is a good place you can start

And for the record - I haven't heard anyone say he is the greatest to every live but, plenty think the other way.
And also for the record - NIL and the portal were part of the interview.
His system isn't designed to lose certain games on purpose, but it has known, accepted limitations. Gundy is fine with those limitations, and seemingly has no interest in seeking improvements. Personally, I'd like to see our HC finding ways to improve our program, not just settling for what we have.

I don’t see us as having a losing season. I’m hoping for 8 wins, praying for more!

He’s not entirely wrong. Occasional flashes of excellence only makes the mediocrity stand out even more. And in the end in 2021 we didn’t /couldn’t capitalize on our opportunities. One conference championship in a generation and coming close once more is mediocre. There are a ton of factors involved but at the EOD we’re a slightly above average program.

I believe the current view of a generation is 27 years so Mike still has some time to add to his count.

Back