Fire NARDO!!!

Odd take, defense sucked and lost the game so fire the OC? I think most everyone would be pretty happy if we’d seen that “average” play calling all season.
I've been on the fire Dunn bus for 3 plus years. An average gameplan from him is an anomaly. We have more than enough talent on offense to be successful.

I am sure there are good coaches from D2 but

1) I don’t trust gundy to identify a defensive coach that is good from this level of football.

2) I don’t trust gundy to find one from
D2 that can recruit at the level needed to build a successful defense.

And last but more obviously, nardo is not one of those good coaches or isn’t experienced enough. Either way, he is very bad.

We have given up 3434 yards ranked dead last in defense.

I readily admit that I am heavily biased positively toward D-II.

When I was a student at VSU, Hall Mumme was the head coach with Leach and Holgerson on staff. The Sigma Nu guys blasting an old air raid siren every time VSU scored is how the Air Raid got its name. Later, as previously mentioned, Smart and Muschamp were assistants at VSU.

In 2002, VSU made its first national championship game and lost to a team coached by Brian Kelly assisted by Chuck Martin.

The above is just a partial list. Obviously, not all of those coaches who get a chance pan out, but I also recall that Mike Yurcich was coaching at Shippensburg when Gundy hired him.

I readily admit that I am heavily biased positively toward D-II.

When I was a student at VSU, Hall Mumme was the head coach with Leach and Holgerson on staff. The Sigma Nu guys blasting an old air raid siren every time VSU scored is how the Air Raid got its name. Later, as previously mentioned, Smart and Muschamp were assistants at VSU.

In 2002, VSU made its first national championship game and lost to a team coached by Brian Kelly assisted by Chuck Martin.

The above is just a partial list. Obviously, not all of those coaches who get a chance pan out, but I also recall that Mike Yurcich was coaching at Shippensburg when Gundy hired him.
Admittedly, gundy is an offensive guy. He knows how to find good offensive coaches for the most part. He has got a little lazy with Dunn because I think he is ok but usually a good gundy hire gets hired away somewhere else.

Now defensively, he hit a home run with knowles. He was from a power conference and proven results over years. Gundy doesn’t know what he is doing in D2 to get a good defensive coordinator. It’s easier to recruit defensive recruits to SEC schools so maybe this is why Smart and others succeeded.

At OSU to succeed, you need either a very intelligent DC like Knowles or someone who is a good recruiter who can run a base type defense.

I don’t really follow recruiting too much but just saw a DT from McKinney, TX just decommitted. Not surprising. Can’t imagine based on what they are see they want to be a part of that D.

Now defensively, he hit a home run with knowles. He was from a power conference and proven results over years. Gundy doesn’t know what he is doing in D2 to get a good defensive coordinator. It’s easier to recruit defensive recruits to SEC schools so maybe this is why Smart and others succeeded.
People forget that about Knowles and always just point to his first couple of years being a struggle but he had a resume. He’d already proved himself in a power conference. Gundy’s philosophy on that hire was to go find a guy on this level putting out a solid D but with limited talent/recruiting. That proved out. This hire was made solely based on scheme and just finding a guy who knew it to install it. Gundy got turned down by his first couple of candidates. Nardo had no resume, just a couple of references.

So did Nardo run a 3-3-5 at his former job (which I can never remeber) and was hired because of that? I know practically nothing about football except that even I can tell Pokes aren’t setting up in a 3-3-5. What’s the theory behind a 3-3-5?

Additionally, it is my recollection that except for two years with Knowles, Poke defense has been anywhere from mediocre to awful (Bedford, Beckman years) Pokes got by with it mostly by simply out scoring the other side. Wickline actually told me one morning in a Dallas hotel lobby “you know what you do about bad defense? Great offense.”

I’m the first to admit I’m idealistic and naive, but I thought Gundy finally got Poke football where it needed to be to compete on a national scale with Knowles. And if it was me, I would have coughed up my own salary to keep it in place ( this assumes that Knowles left for more $$)

Now Pokes have neither. Last freaking place in the Big12.

That was Gundy play calling, not Dunn.
Gundy was definitely not calling plays. He might’ve had heavy influence going in on the gameplan and what he expected to be called. But the cameras showed him on the sidelines Friday night on multiple occasions and he was definitely in his quiet, stand off to myself mode.

Gundy was definitely not calling plays. He might’ve had heavy influence going in on the gameplan and what he expected to be called. But the cameras showed him on the sidelines Friday night on multiple occasions and he was definitely in his quiet, stand off to myself mode.
Did he have a headset on? That’s all it takes.

Both coordinators need to go and several position coaches too.

Yes the offense preformed fairly well Friday night but I think it's clear that the change to include a lot more QB runs helped our offense quite a bit against BYU...unfortunately teams will adjust to that after a few games. The question is can we line up with an offense that the opponent knows is coming and be effective with it. Right now, I believe the answer is no. So unless we want to make or break our season every year in the few games after the bye week, then a change needs to happen.

As for Nardo, I don't see how anyone can look at the results on the field the last two seasons and come to any other conclusion than he was not ready for this level of competition. Maybe with experience he eventually will be but why should OSU be the place for his "on the job training".

^^^THIS

I've noticed a lot more of our D trying to 'hit' guys, rather than wrap up and tackle. That's poor technique allowed by position coaching. Guess we need more wrestlers on D
Wrestlers who can run with the receivers is who we need for corners and safeties.

Back