Pokes vs. Toads

Not to mention he continues to put hitters like Bruggeman and Wulfert who don’t produce squat other than outs in the heart of the lineup. Just poor coaching.

I guess no postgame interview tonight.

He did get interviewed. The guy filling in for Rex actually asked him why he didn’t bunt in the 6th with 2 on and no out. I was shocked that question was even asked! Josh’s answer was Meola has been the best hitter all year and he was in the 3 hole for a reason. Then basically said he didn’t think the 4 and 5 would do it. Then he told the guy, “thanks for the strategy question though.” He seemed irritated he was questioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did get interviewed. The guy filling in for Rex actually asked him why he didn’t bunt in the 6th with 2 on and no out. I was shocked that question was even asked! Josh’s answer was Meola has been the best hitter all year and he was in the 3 hole for a reason. Then basically said he didn’t think the 4 and 5 would do it. Then he told the guy, “thanks for the strategy question though.” He seemed irritated he was questioned.

Wow! Good for him. The game notes sheet says the guy's name was Karsten Melton. That's a new one.

I'll be honest, I get the move to hit with Meola. He's our best hitter. It backfired horribly in a game when it needed to be the right call. The bigger problem to me was that we were totally unprepared at the plate and once again gave an opposing pitcher his career best outing.

Then why the hell did he have them hitting in the middle of the lineup to begin with. It’s been clear for some time they don’t belong there. He just underscored how poor of a coaching job he did.

This is where I think a lot of the ire Walton catches is undeserved. Pitching lays some turds each season for sure. But you shouldn't have to pitch a shutout each game to have a chance at winning. Double digit strikeouts in every single game are what's killed our team for several years now.
Agree. I think the pitching has been more than good enough this season. Yes there have been some hiccups, but its college baseball.

Wow! Good for him. The game notes sheet says the guy's name was Karsten Melton. That's a new one.

I'll be honest, I get the move to hit with Meola. He's our best hitter. It backfired horribly in a game when it needed to be the right call. The bigger problem to me was that we were totally unprepared at the plate and once again gave an opposing pitcher his career best outing.

Normally I would agree with Meola swinging away, but the Cowboys were striking out at an exponential rate. Lay down the bunt (I acknowledge it is not a given he can get it down) to give your 4 and 5 hole hitters a chance to get one in. And as I stated earlier in the thread - having runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out puts a lot more pressure on the pitcher and catcher. Josh allowed the pitcher to stay comfortable there and he shouldn’t have.

Then why the hell did he have them hitting in the middle of the lineup to begin with. It’s been clear for some time they don’t belong there. He just underscored how poor of a coaching job he did.

I had the exact same thought when I was listening to the interview. Or why not pinch hit for Bruggey in the bottom of the 9th?

Normally I would agree with Meola swinging away, but the Cowboys were striking out at an exponential rate. Lay down the bunt (I acknowledge it is not a given he can get it down) to give your 4 and 5 hole hitters a chance to get one in. And as I stated earlier in the thread - having runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out puts a lot more pressure on the pitcher and catcher. Josh allowed the pitcher to stay comfortable there and he shouldn’t have.

True. But you could say the striking out might mean we would have trouble scoring someone from 3rd with 1 out, which we always have trouble with. Anyway, it was a coin flip call. Why he went that way made sense to me.

Weren’t these people 1 - 5 in the conference coming into tonight having been swept by OU on their home field and losing two of three to KANSAS!!! 🥴 Ugh, this stuff wants to drive you to drink!🍺 That reminds me, I need another beer!

Last edited:
Back