OU and Texas gone after 2023-2024 year

Yes, but martinez is gone. Its the Will Howard show now and I think he will be the best qb in the big 12 this year.
Should have been the Will Howard show since day 1 last year. It was a head scratcher that Martinez was named the starter to start the season.

If he can't make 4 star defensive recurits perform on the field he better figure out how to steal all the 5 star defensive recruits from Bama and hope he can do something with them.
They werent p5 level guys and it showed. that's why a majority of them ended up at G5 schools after venables showed them the door. That's a pretty significant thing that so many guys got passed over by every other p5 program despite riley thought they would be good at OU. The last staff missed a lot in talent evaluation on defense.
As far as what can venables do with good recruits, well, we've already seen it.

I seriously don't see anything valuable in Dillon Gabriel.

Same with Martinez at KSU.
He doesnt make a lot of mistakes which is nice. He had 25 td passes was 2nd in the league despite having the 5th most pass attempts. But he does get the ball moving, OU was averaging just a hair shy of 500 yards per game when he wasnt hurt. I think that's a great place to work from. I am wondering how much more running around he'll be doing this year now that they have a backup they think they can trust.

He doesnt make a lot of mistakes which is nice. He had 25 td passes was 2nd in the league despite having the 5th most pass attempts. But he does get the ball moving, OU was averaging just a hair shy of 500 yards per game when he wasnt hurt. I think that's a great place to work from. I am wondering how much more running around he'll be doing this year now that they have a backup they think they can trust.
OU didn't have anyone behind him at QB, so he had to play. He had 10 of his 25 TD's in 2 games and OU lost both, so stats don't always equal quality.

OU didn't have anyone behind him at QB, so he had to play. He had 10 of his 25 TD's in 2 games and OU lost both, so stats don't always equal quality.
That’s a strange characterization of their situation. Gabriel played because that’s the job of the starting quarterback.

They had no back up, which is why they played him differently than they would if they had a back up they can trust. They will be a lot more loose with QB runs this season than they were last season As a result though.

Back