OSU at Southern Illinois

I wouldn’t say he’s just a talking head. Comes from a family of coaching (his father and brother) has the Iba/sutton mentality instilled in him. He legitimately knows basketball. Osu wont be in a place to spend a ton of money to Bring in some splash hire. So they will be limited on options. Whoever they hire is going to be a risk. I mean I don’t see the harm in letting him finish out the year try and prove himself. The whole point is they went with boynton because he was somewhat “experienced” and it was a complete disaster. not to mention they apparently couldn’t find anyone to take the job 7 years ago, and the program is in significantly worse shape now. I mean in 7 years as a head coach Mike boynton still can’t coach. So it’s not always about experience. The difference in boynton and Doug, and this is my opinion only, Doug wouldn’t have torn the program down he would have walked away if it didn't work. Is Doug the answer, I have no idea. do I think he’d be better than boynton, absolutely.
He literally is a talking head….all he does is radio and then dabbles in as an analyst during March madness. Just cause his father coached, doesn’t mean it’s in him. If that’s the case, he’d have followed the family business but he didn’t so maybe it’s not in him. Again Doug= settling basically another lazy ass hire. Just cause Sutton coached him doesn’t mean he can lead a group of 18-22 yr olds.

I’m not defending boynton…he is what it is. Do I think Doug could make it worse…absolutely b/c he’s no different from boynton..literally has no experience, no experience managing a team, managing egos, going on the road recruiting, I could literally go on…we don’t need a splash hire, or spend a crazy amount…we need a solid coach who has experience, PROVEN, has a track record. Not a talking radio head on Fox sports with no credentials, and taking a risk b/c he’s cheap. I’m tired of lazy hires. Doug is a lazy hire. You want OSU basketball back…go get a real coach

The best hire would be a mid-major coach who has proven he can win.....another Brad Underwood....and there are lots of them out there. OSU is still a good job. Great facilities, great conference, great history, and a fan base that WANTS to support. Holder was so lazy in narrowing it down to Boyton/Gottlieb.

We really don't know what Doug would have done, but could it have been any worse? I bet he'd at least carry over some discipline from what he'd learned from Eddie. But, we'll never know. Still, he should not be the next guy we hire.
Absolutely..it can get done. Gottlieb is a lazy hire and he literally has no desire to coach unless we hand him the job.

Yes it could be worse or just as bad. He’s never been a coach before so who truly knows. Next hire should be someone with a track record. Boynton was a gamble and epic failure

Between dismal coaching and the consequences of NIL where I don’t know a single player at the start of every year, I literally don’t care whatsoever about the sport that once was my favorite at OSU. Everything Hank and Eddie built in this program is a distant memory. There’s nothing left of it. If this program is ever good again (Very unlikely) someone will have to build it from scratch. Meanwhile the team that shall not be mentioned to the South is showing what can happen fairly quickly when a good coaching hire is made and provided patience and support to get his system established.

We couldn’t pay him and the buyout. That’s the problem. They gave him such a ridiculous contract based on nothing that they have again, hand cuffed themselves.
I would rather risk losing a potentially good coach than lock an "unproven" coach into a longer-term contract. I hope Weiberg wasn't the driver of the contract, as some on here have posted. Watching OSU basketball is painful during this time as the conference is so competitive and getting better as Houston/Arizona becoming part of it.

Didnt even watch the game. Can’t tell you the last time I missed an OSU basketball game when I knew the game would be on. Had zero interest to tune in. I had no expectation that they would win that game. Just sad where this program is right now.

I like Boyton. I want him to be successful because he seems like a genuinely good dude who understands OSU. He’s just not cutting it on the court.

I would rather risk losing a potentially good coach than lock an "unproven" coach into a longer-term contract. I hope Weiberg wasn't the driver of the contract, as some on here have posted. Watching OSU basketball is painful during this time as the conference is so competitive and getting better as Houston/Arizona becoming part of it.
Go check this week’s top 25

AZ
KS
Houston
Purdue
UConn
Baylor
Gonzaga

That’s just the top 7 teams.

If Yoramark has his way 6 of the top 7 will be in our conference.

If ACC implodes we could see NCSt, Duke & Syracuse.

If you go .500 in conference even this yr you should be a top 6 seed.

We have to get pointed in the right direction and fast.

Would have been better than this. He would have actually coached basketball, and recruited basketball players, and wouldn’t have an unearned massive buyout.
Or could be exactly the same.

Go get a real/proven coach or we’ll be having the same Convo in 7 years all over again.

Back