Gundy on Robert Allen Show

Good lord he threw that many interceptions running a vanilla offense. The bitchers need to grow a brain

Vanilla offense or no, the bigger problem was that the O didn't fit our QB1. SS is not a drop back passer. I think most of us would agree that is not his strength. Since high school, he's been a RPO guy. And a pretty good one. Why set up an offense that does not utilize his strengths?

Vanilla offense or no, the bigger problem was that the O didn't fit our QB1. SS is not a drop back passer. I think most of us would agree that is not his strength. Since high school, he's been a RPO guy. And a pretty good one. Why set up an offense that does not utilize his strengths?
I don’t think you know what you’re looking at

Good lord he threw that many interceptions running a vanilla offense. The bitchers need to grow a brain
I sure hope you’re not making that statement toward me? I’m in no way a “bitcher”. I fully support Gundy. My only issue was changing the offense after Monken left (before Sanders was recruited).

What I don't understand is why our OL can't run zone schemes AND gap schemes. You might major in one more than the other, but lots of teams can run power, counter, inside zone, and outside zone and do it effectively. Only running one really limits your offense and allows the D to have easy run fits.

One of the reasons we gave up huge runs this year was that our opponents confused our LBs with different looks and hit open gaps.

I wish someone would ask Gundy that question.

I sure hope you’re not making that statement toward me? I’m in no way a “bitcher”. I fully support Gundy. My only issue was changing the offense after Monken left (before Sanders was recruited).
no.
My gripe is not having another guy ready when spencer didn't work out like you had hoped. I think what I am saying is after it was clear spencer wouldn't be able to run a dynamic offense, i wish we would have moved on.

no.
My gripe is not having another guy ready when spencer didn't work out like you had hoped. I think what I am saying is after it was clear spencer wouldn't be able to run a dynamic offense, i wish we would have moved on.
I’m curious. What percentage of the blame for our offensive ineptness would you place on Spencer vs Gundy vs Dunn vs Dickey vs bad luck/injuries/other?

I’m curious. What percentage of the blame for our offensive ineptness would you place on Spencer vs Gundy vs Dunn vs Dickey vs bad luck/injuries/other?
about even. Maybe. I think with an accurate qb that could make all the throws, the other stuff is minimal. Except injuries.

Injuries played a huge role. All over the field but especially upfront and to SS. I don’t know why people don’t want to acknowledge it, maybe they view it as a ann excuse. That’s not attacking anyone, I just can’t figure out those that refuse to look at it objectively other than they have an agenda. Which is fine but to ignore it doesn’t make sense.

about even. Maybe. I think with an accurate qb that could make all the throws, the other stuff is minimal. Except injuries.
I remember watching high school film of SS and seeing him sprint right and hit a receiver running to the sidelines 20 yards down on a rope. Now, this maybe be a highlight reel cherry pick, but he had massive potential that I don't think was realized at OSU.

What I don't understand is why our OL can't run zone schemes AND gap schemes. You might major in one more than the other, but lots of teams can run power, counter, inside zone, and outside zone and do it effectively. Only running one really limits your offense and allows the D to have easy run fits.

One of the reasons we gave up huge runs this year was that our opponents confused our LBs with different looks and hit open gaps.

I wish someone would ask Gundy that question.
Very difficult to be effective at both at a high level. Blue bloods can get away with it a bit more. Ou under Riley's O was primarily gap scheme and would mix in some zone but they were much better at gap. For Ok State and similar programs, they really have to focus primarily on one or the other based on talent level.

I remember watching high school film of SS and seeing him sprint right and hit a receiver running to the sidelines 20 yards down on a rope. Now, this maybe be a highlight reel cherry pick, but he had massive potential that I don't think was realized at OSU.
It was cherry picked. Plus you can get away with his mechanics in high school, not in college.

Very difficult to be effective at both at a high level. Blue bloods can get away with it a bit more. Ou under Riley's O was primarily gap scheme and would mix in some zone but they were much better at gap. For Ok State and similar programs, they really have to focus primarily on one or the other based on talent level.
Have to disagree with that.

What does it matter if you're talented or not?

If you're more talented, you don't need to do as much because you can just maul people. When you're less talented, you better have a lot of different looks to help bridge the gap in your lack of talent.

K-State is the perfect model. They don't have more talented guys than we do, but they do WAY more with their blocking schemes.

OU has excelled at running counter under Bedenbaugh, but they can run zone, too, and ISO.

Part of the vanilla of our offense has been the running game that seriously lacks imagination.

You have these guys in meetings and practice for an enormous amount of time. They are more than smart enough to handle the extra schemes.

Sounds cherry picked. I've seen a couple of his play-off games and he seemed to rely primarily on one WR/TE (who also was going D1). I also remember him running a lot more when the passing game wasn't working. It was very reminiscent of how he played at OSU.

I knew a guy that did a bunch of High School stuff for the media and was actually part of the TV show when they hand out the Texas player of the year award. He viewed SS as a legit star and that he was going to do great in college.

As far as I'm concerned, SS did great in college. However, I don't think he developed his arm as expected so he never maximized his potential. I don't know if that is SS or if it is coaching. I haven't been too impressed with any of the back-up QB's during SS's time at OSU, however Rangel in the bowl game was much better than regular season Rangel.

Back