Gundy on Robert Allen Show

I thought we could use another thread to discuss the most we've heard from Gundy since after the bowl game:

A bunch of notes from the 30 minute interview as I listen (on Spotify, Robert Allen and Friends)

--he talked about the four signees, praised recruiting staff

--said OL offseason focus is finishing blocks and getting nastier, like what we had from 2011-2016

--talked about how one of the workout sessions is just for new guys, used to be mostly young, now they are from age 17-23
"these guys came here and are hungry to be part of Oklahoma State football"

--they used to have a Tuesday "competition day" for workouts, but now that day will be used for teaching and walkthroughs with 38 new players and new DC with a new system to teach

--says his energy level is high, portal causes a lot of stress, but its good to have things settled

--has had 15-20 meetings with veterans, says they agree the public perception of the cancer in the locker room was bullshit, culture is good

--one player brought up that they were 6-1, ranked in top 10, and there were no problems. Losing brings things up, gets blown out of proportion

--says those veterans energized him, as well as new veterans in portal and their excitment

--casually mentioned that he thought Spencer would go to draft, then said there was talk of coming back, then he moved on.

--"in all fairness to Rangel, Gunnar, and Spencer....its too difficult to play quarterback when we can't run the ball."

--Bowman gives us a chance to get it rolling, and we're going to be considerably better at OL and RB next year. Those things create excitement.

--"when I first got here, there wasn't much interest in Oklahoma State football, now its awesome: people are getting fired up and go crazy when we don't play well as we should or lose a game. It's exciting that that many people are excited about and care about Oklahoma State football."

--said that Coach Mason had let him know that he might be stepping away, so Gundy started researching. Said he had lots of interest from coaches when Mason stepped down. Counted 14 DC's from P5 schools call him. 3 SEC, 2 Big 10.

--said he wanted a certain fit based on the direction of the program--namely the 3-3 Iowa State style defense, although he didn't say that. Only 4 people fit that mold

--talked a lot of even (4 front) versus odd (3 front). Says he came to conclusion that we needed an odd-front guy. Not an odd-stack (the 3-3 stack), but just odd front.

--Nardo brings a lot to the table, has called the defense for 9 years. Likes that he hasn't had anything given to him, has had to work his way up

--"I didn't need to bring in a Rex Ryan and have him just take over. I need a guy that will work with our experienced staff and will be a great fit."

--says schedule is not a big deal (re: not playing the Texas schools). Guessing OU and Texas will leave after this year.

--says players don't get concerned with the schedule. They don't get extra fired up for OU/Texas. They all know each other now because of social media, there's not that hate anymore. I DON'T BUY THAT

--final thoughts, and he reiterates, players will be held accountable and coached if they come to OSU. No coddling at OSU, because that's not the real world. Excited that the guys that have come in accept that and want to be a part of that.

A couple of extra points he made:

-Bowman, despite his experience and historical performance in BPS, is going to have to earn it (playing time). Seemed like it was truly an open competition, despite the youth in the QB room outside of Bowman.

-We found ourselves in on HS recruits that we may not have normally been in on because of the effects of the portal. Good players transferring to bigger programs, leaving HS recruits with less room at those programs.

-In addition to that, reaffirmed the importance of culture with HS recruits- if you want to be a part of something, be challenged physically and academically, then come to OSU. Otherwise, this may not be the place for you.

-Don’t quote him on this (I suck at listening), but he believes UTN and UT are gone after this season. Isn’t hearing that from anyone in the know, just his feeling of the situation.

Listened to that yesterday as well. It was great insight. Very excited for this upcoming season! Super pumped to be running this new scheme on defense. For those that don’t know much about it, you’re going to love it!!

A couple of extra points he made:

-Bowman, despite his experience and historical performance in BPS, is going to have to earn it (playing time). Seemed like it was truly an open competition, despite the youth in the QB room outside of Bowman.

-We found ourselves in on HS recruits that we may not have normally been in on because of the effects of the portal. Good players transferring to bigger programs, leaving HS recruits with less room at those programs.

-In addition to that, reaffirmed the importance of culture with HS recruits- if you want to be a part of something, be challenged physically and academically, then come to OSU. Otherwise, this may not be the place for you.

-Don’t quote him on this (I suck at listening), but he believes UTN and UT are gone after this season. Isn’t hearing that from anyone in the know, just his feeling of the situation.
Funny how none of those hs recruits were 4 or 5 stars, though.

Funny how none of those hs recruits were 4 or 5 stars, though.
I think at this point, Gundy and his staff should’ve earned our trust that they’re able to identify the right players for our system. Our most successful players under Gundy have been mid-ranked prospects.

They don't get extra fired up for OU/Texas.
OU obviously gets extra fired up to play us so it's fk'n dumb of them not to do the same and it's not any compliment to the players to say that they don't get fired up for it. All around a stupid thing for Gundy to say and not something that anyone in the fanbase wants to hear. What's he trying to do, convince us that it's just another game so we'll get off his back for always pooping his pants in Bedlam?

OU obviously gets extra fired up to play us so it's fk'n dumb of them not to do the same and it's not any compliment to the players to say that they don't get fired up for it. All around a stupid thing for Gundy to say and not something that anyone in the fanbase wants to hear. What's he trying to do, convince us that it's just another game so we'll get off his back for always pooping his pants in Bedlam?
Who gives a fvck. After this year we never play them again.

Who gives a fvck. After this year we never play them again.
Looks like Gundy's jedi mind trick worked on you. Alot of people give a fk and if they say they don't, they're lying. Bedlam has always been a massive thorn in our side, and many years ruined our chances for a conference championship because Gundy mostly can't win it. Doesn't matter that it's about to end. Gundy's statement on it was referring to present day and the last several years.

Looks like Gundy's jedi mind trick worked on you. Alot of people give a fk and if they say they don't, they're lying. Bedlam has always been a massive thorn in our side, and many years ruined our chances for a conference championship because Gundy mostly can't win it. Doesn't matter that it's about to end. Gundy's statement on it was referring to present day and the last several years.
Bedlam has been a massive thorn in the side of the entire Big8/Big12, we drew the short stick and got stuck in the same state as them.

I think at this point, Gundy and his staff should’ve earned our trust that they’re able to identify the right players for our system. Our most successful players under Gundy have been mid-ranked prospects.
He's said he wants guys that want to play fooball, but the caveat to that is "AT Oklahoma State." I agree he's earned the trust at this point.

That's because almost all of Gundy's players have been mid-ranked prospects.

It seems like this board, so far, is going to be made up of mostly Gundy lovers, those who think he can do no wrong. While Gundy is the best coach OSU football has ever had and deserves respect for being so, he's certainly also earned criticism. It's okay to appreciate how far things have come while still wanting it to be better. High expectations are a good thing.

It seems like this board, so far, is going to be made up of mostly Gundy lovers, those who think he can do no wrong. While Gundy is the best coach OSU football has ever had and deserves respect for being so, he's certainly also earned criticism. It's okay to appreciate how far things have come while still wanting it to be better. High expectations are a good thing.
No reason to create a false dichotomy here. Just because some folks don’t beat the “Gundy sucks” drum constantly doesn’t mean they “think he can do no wrong.” But there seem to be plenty of folks who focus on the negative and disregard Gundy’s overall track record.

It’s one thing to not be happy about last season and to expect improvements in key areas. It’s another to almost exclusively focus on those negatives and continuously petition for a changing of the guard.

I think that's great there are a lot of people who support Gundy on this board. But there are some of us who are unhappy with one conference championship in 17 years. Are we doing as well as comparable programs? It's an undeniable fact that we should be better than TCU, for example.

Back