Cowboys vs Red Raiders Tonight

For all the hate another coach gets, really can’t understand why HCMB gets such a pass.
Couldn’t go tonight bc of sick family but my blood pressure kept going up. It was so easy to see. Quit yanking 3s. We built the lead w Boone and Woody by running the offense through Boone. Then we went away from it and started w the 3s and turnovers and that snowballed into missed ft’s. Then we leave Williams in when it’s obvious we needed Woody. And then to cap it off we inexplicably sub in Smith when it should have been Cisse. And then how is the last set not run through Boone. It worked and I’m thankful but sheesh.

This game was for the dance and he coached like “hey I’m cool w the NIT”

For all the hate another coach gets, really can’t understand why HCMB gets such a pass.
I think he is running out of passes. If no tourney this year, he has to make it next year.

Boynton shows respect to the fans/media and is likable. He doesn’t treat people like they are idiots even if he doesn’t like what he hears. He keeps his inside voice inside. Plus people like the underdog story.

However winning fixes everything in both sports.

Great postgame interview with JMW by Dave and John:

--said he was interested in OSU because he loved playing with them on EA Sports NCAA football
--although he was a "rebounding guard" at High Point, he is not asked to rebound by the coaches at OSU. Only went to the goal in this case because the clock was running out
--says he loves the people at OSU and how he's been welcomed since coming on campus, can't wait to step on the court at GIA every day

Great postgame interview with JMW by Dave and John:

--said he was interested in OSU because he loved playing with them on EA Sports NCAA football
--although he was a "rebounding guard" at High Point, he is not asked to rebound by the coaches at OSU. Only went to the goal in this case because the clock was running out
--says he loves the people at OSU and how he's been welcomed since coming on campus, can't wait to step on the court at GIA every day
Wish we had him for more than one year. Seems like a solid dude

Not a historical stats guy, but outside of Cunningham's year, seems to have been a while since we have been over 0.500 in conference play. Know it goes back to Smart's freshman year finishing over 0.500 but do not know if we had other years over 0.500 midway through conference that fell apart in the last month.

6-5 in 7th place but only two games out of first???

Seven to go.

TTU/WVU - Wins (maybe in the dance unless a giant $#&* in the tourney?)

ISU/BU - Take one? (With above would hopefully get us in)

KU/KSU/TCU - Longshot but may be able to take one (with above wins and even if ofer in the tourney, should be enough)

Wish we had him for more than one year. Seems like a solid dude
Good news!!! JMW still has his CoVid yr so he could play next year. I believe that was the original plan when we signed him. Same goes for Boone, Smith and AA. I doubt AA stays but could see a strong NIL deal securing Boone. From what I understand he loves it here and I think the light is not only coming on but staying on for how good he can really be. He could make more in NIL by staying than by playing in the G league.

We could have essentially the same rotation minus AA, Asberry and Cisse (who I think would take the over seas route to getting paid) plus a strong class. I doubt it happens that way but keep a core of JMW, Woody, BT, Boone, Smith, Williams and Harris and add the class and a really good initiator from the portal and this team would have serious potential. Lose Boone and the kid from Del City adjusts and you could still be good. Coaching will always be the key.

Couldn’t go tonight bc of sick family but my blood pressure kept going up. It was so easy to see. Quit yanking 3s. We built the lead w Boone and Woody by running the offense through Boone. Then we went away from it and started w the 3s and turnovers and that snowballed into missed ft’s. Then we leave Williams in when it’s obvious we needed Woody. And then to cap it off we inexplicably sub in Smith when it should have been Cisse. And then how is the last set not run through Boone. It worked and I’m thankful but sheesh.

This game was for the dance and he coached like “hey I’m cool w the NIT”
Curious, not arguing or anything or even disagreeing, but how much if the 3’s are his fall versus a 19 year old who’s in the moment and wants to get his points? Like is it equivalent to an OC calling a play and the qb changing it on his own? Just wondering if it’s always his play call for a 3 or just in the moment and kids being kids doing their own thing?

Curious, not arguing or anything or even disagreeing, but how much if the 3’s are his fall versus a 19 year old who’s in the moment and wants to get his points? Like is it equivalent to an OC calling a play and the qb changing it on his own? Just wondering if it’s always his play call for a 3 or just in the moment and kids being kids doing their own thing?
I think you are right in that last night he got some energy buckets and was “feeling it” a little. He is 24% from 3. To me coaches should be emphasizing with him daily in practice, at shoot around, in film and during the game he only shoots 3s if it’s late in shot clock or he’s in a particular spot on the floor and we’ve run through out 1st, 2nd and 3rd options. He’s shooting early in the possession and sometimes from the baseline. As a freshman this is where he learns discipline and shot selection /patience.

Last night not only were his misses hurting us on those possessions but they affected other possessions because they quit guarding him and clogged up passing lanes and space.

Williams had 20 attempts for 3 before last night. I can look past the first 2, but to let him shoot 5 without yanking him out of the game is mind blowing. Especially the one late in the game. His shot looks bad.

As a Freshman, Williams is an old school SF/PF with no range. Crash the boards, big ups, and don't shoot more than 10 ft from the basket. Give me the hustle, but no shots.

Harris was shooting 13-49 (26.5%) before the game and I think a couple of the makes were bank shots from 3. At least he figured it out after going 0-3 and stopped shooting.

OSU actually had Harris, Williams, Smith, BT, and I think Newton out there during the last 6-7 minutes of the game. Basically, BT was the only scorer. It was like Pat Jones was trying to hold onto a 3 point lead at halftime in Lincoln, NE.

Harris, Williams, and Smith should never be on the court at the same time unless we are up 20 with 2 minutes to go.

OSU actually had Harris, Williams, Smith, BT, and I think Newton out there during the last 6-7 minutes of the game. Basically, BT was the only scorer. It was like Pat Jones was trying to hold onto a 3 point lead at halftime in Lincoln, NE.

Harris, Williams, and Smith should never be on the court at the same time unless we are up 20 with 2 minutes to go.
I’ll give him a little bit of a pass on rotations last night due to foul trouble and trying to figure out how to go without AA. But to me, this is the point in the season where critical decisions have to be made. You screwed around and dropped UCF and So. Ill. 17-7 and 6-5 in the league and we are squarely in at probably a 6 seed. I think we get in but are probably looking at 9-12 seed.

From this point on the rotation has to be managed as you indicated. 7 games left and you probably have to go 3-4 or maybe 2-5 w a couple of big12 tourney wins. But you go 2-5 and drop the 1st tourney game to uo or Tech and it’s NIT. Boynton has to manage games/rotations w this process in mind.

Good news!!! JMW still has his CoVid yr so he could play next year. I believe that was the original plan when we signed him. Same goes for Boone, Smith and AA. I doubt AA stays but could see a strong NIL deal securing Boone. From what I understand he loves it here and I think the light is not only coming on but staying on for how good he can really be. He could make more in NIL by staying than by playing in the G league.

We could have essentially the same rotation minus AA, Asberry and Cisse (who I think would take the over seas route to getting paid) plus a strong class. I doubt it happens that way but keep a core of JMW, Woody, BT, Boone, Smith, Williams and Harris and add the class and a really good initiator from the portal and this team would have serious potential. Lose Boone and the kid from Del City adjusts and you could still be good. Coaching will always be the key.

Is this Asberry’s Covid year? I looked into it and I was thinking this might just be his 4th year playing and he could return next year.54A5DACE-CFDD-4C1D-B348-2CADD8AAEDEF.png

With Anderson out, Thompson HAS to step up and be more consistent. His first half was beautiful! Then second half, no points! He really has to play up to his AA status if we are going to make some noise here at the end.

I’ll give him a little bit of a pass on rotations last night due to foul trouble and trying to figure out how to go without AA. But to me, this is the point in the season where critical decisions have to be made. You screwed around and dropped UCF and So. Ill. 17-7 and 6-5 in the league and we are squarely in at probably a 6 seed. I think we get in but are probably looking at 9-12 seed.

From this point on the rotation has to be managed as you indicated. 7 games left and you probably have to go 3-4 or maybe 2-5 w a couple of big12 tourney wins. But you go 2-5 and drop the 1st tourney game to uo or Tech and it’s NIT. Boynton has to manage games/rotations w this process in mind.
It’s like Coach Sutton used to say, “do you know what you’re playing for? Act like it.”

I always like to look
With Anderson out, Thompson HAS to step up and be more consistent. His first half was beautiful! Then second half, no points! He really has to play up to his AA status if we are going to make some noise here at the end.
I agree. I think that's where shot selection comes in, too. Including that last shot, Bryce took 2 shots in the second half. It can't be that easy for TTU to make an adjustment at halftime and he just can't find any shots at all. Boyton has to be able to counter that. That's on the whole team for him not getting more shots--Bryce for not being aggressive, teammates like QW for shooting when they shouldn't, and the head coach for not being sure the right guys are getting the shots.

That second half was an offensive regression from the progress we had made the last few weeks. We didn't go through Boone or Thompson hardly at all, and almost blew another huge lead (although we did build that lead right after half).

The good news is that we've gotten better at surviving the meltdown, no let's just not have the meltdown at all.

Back