Bowl Selection Thread

They didn't. That was just the BS reason they gave. The real reason was to keep the SEC in. Pure and simple.
Well, they were number 4 last week in their rankings.
THIS THIS THIS!!! They don't realize elsewise they wouldn't have done it. They think they can get away with it and it will blow over because they have almost certainly done it before. It has just never been this obvious.

Anyway, the reason this matters is because it kills fan interest. Look at 2011. Putting two SEC teams in killed the ratings. I fully expect a similar thing to happen this year. They are 100% driving down the road of killing interest in the sport we all love. If people think the system is rigged the will stop caring about it.
Nobody will care once the games kick off. It's all about big brands, period.

Yep, and it's why I cringe every year when people say the early season polls don't matter. Every year though the polls remain littered with SEC and B1G schools, which means they're either beating or losing to a ranked team. This helps further the narrative that conference X is always so loaded and so much tougher. And to be clear, I'm not talking about Bama and UGA here, but teams like A&M, Penn State.

Now you factor in ESPN's all in with the SEC and FOX has the B1G. Both networks are gonna shove those conferences down our throats moving forward.

Really unbelievable how good the Big 12 was less than 20 years ago compared to today. Just sad.
The b1g stuff is what hacks me off the most. There's at least some semblance of parity in the $ec and several teams that have won a MNC (time to bring back mythical national championship) the last several years. But the b1g? OhSU and Michigan are legit, Penn state and Iowa are never more than fairly good, and the rest are UNADULTERED TRASH. Rutgers? Garbage. Indiana and Purdue? Garbage. Northwestern, Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota? Garbage Garbage Garbage Garbage. Wisconsin and MSU have one season every decade that's anything more than scraping bottom of the barrel.

The sole reason the b1g, which is honestly the HANDS-DOWN WORST power conference, is considered good, is because the states they occupy have the highest populations of dedicated football fans so the media pushes that narrative for money. That's it.

For perspective on the FSU situation, coming out week 6 this season the top 6 in the polls had 6 wins over top 30 teams. FSU had 3 of those wins at that point.

So one aspect cited was FSU's low strength of schedule. One think UT and OU fans say is that the Big XII SOS is weak. This proves that it's total BS. Texas lost to OU, so their wins against the others were considered pretty strong. I wish they would just acknowledge its about money. We all agree and can understand that argument. But they feel a need to boo the commissioner and talk trash on those still in the Big XII. They'll get to lose 3-4 games a year now and make the playoff so they'll still be happy I guess.

So one aspect cited was FSU's low strength of schedule. One think UT and OU fans say is that the Big XII SOS is weak. This proves that it's total BS. Texas lost to OU, so their wins against the others were considered pretty strong. I wish they would just acknowledge its about money. We all agree and can understand that argument. But they feel a need to boo the commissioner and talk trash on those still in the Big XII. They'll get to lose 3-4 games a year now and make the playoff so they'll still be happy I guess.
We just spent a week in the Caribbean with our Austin friends. Love 'em to death but they're completely over the moon about the SEC move and we're beneath them. Made me think of when President Halligan told about former UT Pres Bill Powers telling him bluntly 'You've got to fix that stadium or you'll be in Conference USA.' Thanks to Boone & others we managed to stave that off for awhile, but here we are.

They didn't. That was just the BS reason they gave. The real reason was to keep the SEC in. Pure and simple.
Yup, before the Alabama vs Georgia game Sankey was interviewed by either ESPN or ABC and was literally pounding his fist on the table saying THE SEC CHAMPION WILL BE IN THE PLAYOFF!!! I guess God spoke and the underlings listened and did as they were told!!! 🤨

The b1g stuff is what hacks me off the most. There's at least some semblance of parity in the $ec and several teams that have won a MNC (time to bring back mythical national championship) the last several years. But the b1g? OhSU and Michigan are legit, Penn state and Iowa are never more than fairly good, and the rest are UNADULTERED TRASH. Rutgers? Garbage. Indiana and Purdue? Garbage. Northwestern, Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota? Garbage Garbage Garbage Garbage. Wisconsin and MSU have one season every decade that's anything more than scraping bottom of the barrel.

The sole reason the b1g, which is honestly the HANDS-DOWN WORST power conference, is considered good, is because the states they occupy have the highest populations of dedicated football fans so the media pushes that narrative for money. That's it.
I agree, BIG FOOTBALL IS ALMOST UNWATCHABLE!!! IOWA IS THE WORST 10-2 team I have ever seen! 🤮

I totally agree with your take on the B1G. I am always for whoever is playing against them. I think another part of the reason the conference gets such a large payout is because their alumni bases are huge and on a per capita basis pretty well off. The average enrollment per school is over 50,000 students. The average attendance is about 65,000 per game but they have three teams driving this average.

I totally agree with your take on the B1G. I am always for whoever is playing against them. I think another part of the reason the conference gets such a large payout is because their alumni bases are huge and on a per capita basis pretty well off. The average enrollment per school is over 50,000 students. The average attendance is about 65,000 per game but they have three teams driving this average.
That’s what I meant by it’s just about big brands now-largest alumni bases, & the $$$’s that follow.

Back