Baylor Game

Anyone have an idea on why Boone only played 19 minutes with 1 foul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I’ve seen his attitude/play/give a damn has steadily gotten worse the last 3-4 games. Right before Boynton benched him Cisse was chewing him out on the court for his play. Boone just lowered his head and walked to the bench. Boynton went over and talked to him 3-4 times and he just sat staring at his feet. My seats are right across from the bench so I try to watch those dynamics.

Kalib
9 minutes @TCU
6 minutes @WV
Both games he gets benched for most of the 1st half with 2 fouls and the games are lost by halftime. Down 20 and down 19 at half. Boynton chose to lose those games instead of putting Kalib in with 2 fouls in the first half.

Followed those games with a good game against K-State.

Then against Baylor, Boynton leans on Cisse instead of Kalib. Boynton is just a horrible coach. At times, I think Bernard Kouma would be a better option than Cisse. Kouma is 1000 times better with the ball than Cisse. Cisse gets lost out there and has hands of stone. I don't know how Cisse was only credited with 1 turnover. I guess clumsy inability isn't counted against a player.

Kalib
9 minutes @TCU
6 minutes @WV
Both games he gets benched for most of the 1st half with 2 fouls and the games are lost by halftime. Down 20 and down 19 at half. Boynton chose to lose those games instead of putting Kalib in with 2 fouls in the first half.

Followed those games with a good game against K-State.

Then against Baylor, Boynton leans on Cisse instead of Kalib. Boynton is just a horrible coach. At times, I think Bernard Kouma would be a better option than Cisse. Kouma is 1000 times better with the ball than Cisse. Cisse gets lost out there and has hands of stone. I don't know how Cisse was only credited with 1 turnover. I guess clumsy inability isn't counted against a player.
You hit on something that shows how I think he is in over his head. Still.

Against TCU/WVU Boone picks up 2 fouls and Boynton goes to the “handbook” that says sit a player w 2 first half fouls. He completely ignores or can’t pick up on the way the game is getting away. What does it matter if Boone has 2 fouls but you are down 20+ before half.

Then against KSt Boone has 2 fouls and early in the 2nd half Woody picks up his 3rd early guarding Johnson (#11). So the genius takes out Woody so he won’t pick up his 4th guarding Johnson and immediately switches Boone onto Johnson when Boone has 2 fouls as well.

I said it earlier but it still is beyond me how you look at our roster and skills. Know you are down 13 and have struggled mightily to score and you have Cisse, Smith, Harris and Williams all on the floor. Then when you do sub it’s Thompson for Wright???? Who in that 5 is going to go get buckets?
Who in that 5 can facilitate other players being on the best possible situation to get buckets?

Contrast this w the other bench. When we went to that lineup what did Drew immediately do? He went zone. Now we got lucky 1 trip and 23% 3fg shooter Williams knocked one down but we still saw the difference between a staff that could read the game and floor and the other one that had/has zero clue.

From what I’ve seen his attitude/play/give a damn has steadily gotten worse the last 3-4 games. Right before Boynton benched him Cisse was chewing him out on the court for his play. Boone just lowered his head and walked to the bench. Boynton went over and talked to him 3-4 times and he just sat staring at his feet. My seats are right across from the bench so I try to watch those dynamics.

Makes sense, I think he had similar issues last year. I also wonder if he was having issues defending the pic and role. They were getting killed with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe OSU should consider lowering prices until the AD provides OSU with a proper head coach. Go get Mills at ORU.

By the time, Boynton is sent packing we will be 20 years removed from our last Final Four, because we probably have at least 2 more years unless another school wants him.

Boynton has been in the business too long to be this bad of a head coach. He will never be the coach that out-coaches the top coaches. He will never be the coach that develops players beyond the expectations. You either have it or you don't. He doesn't.

Maybe OSU should consider lowering prices until the AD provides OSU with a proper head coach. Go get Mills at ORU.

By the time, Boynton is sent packing we will be 20 years removed from our last Final Four, because we probably have at least 2 more years unless another school wants him.

Boynton has been in the business too long to be this bad of a head coach. He will never be the coach that out-coaches the top coaches. He will never be the coach that develops players beyond the expectations. You either have it or you don't. He doesn't.
Not defending him (I have consistently but I am on the fence leaning to the other side now), but those of us old enough remember Leonard Hamilton going sub-500 over his tenure with the likes of Dumas, Houston, Williams, Jordan, etc. and he turned out to be pretty decent coach, not great, but he has had his moments. Keep giving him the tools but do not hamstring the program any more by throwing stupid money at him. If he wants to bolt...bye. if not be honest, talk expectations over the next few years and if he fails, time to move on.

Not defending him (I have consistently but I am on the fence leaning to the other side now), but those of us old enough remember Leonard Hamilton going sub-500 over his tenure with the likes of Dumas, Houston, Williams, Jordan, etc. and he turned out to be pretty decent coach, not great, but he has had his moments. Keep giving him the tools but do not hamstring the program any more by throwing stupid money at him. If he wants to bolt...bye. if not be honest, talk expectations over the next few years and if he fails, time to move on.
The fact that he has a $9-11 million is infuriating. Dumbass admin.

You hit on something that shows how I think he is in over his head. Still.

Against TCU/WVU Boone picks up 2 fouls and Boynton goes to the “handbook” that says sit a player w 2 first half fouls. He completely ignores or can’t pick up on the way the game is getting away. What does it matter if Boone has 2 fouls but you are down 20+ before half.

Then against KSt Boone has 2 fouls and early in the 2nd half Woody picks up his 3rd early guarding Johnson (#11). So the genius takes out Woody so he won’t pick up his 4th guarding Johnson and immediately switches Boone onto Johnson when Boone has 2 fouls as well.

I said it earlier but it still is beyond me how you look at our roster and skills. Know you are down 13 and have struggled mightily to score and you have Cisse, Smith, Harris and Williams all on the floor. Then when you do sub it’s Thompson for Wright???? Who in that 5 is going to go get buckets?
Who in that 5 can facilitate other players being on the best possible situation to get buckets?

Contrast this w the other bench. When we went to that lineup what did Drew immediately do? He went zone. Now we got lucky 1 trip and 23% 3fg shooter Williams knocked one down but we still saw the difference between a staff that could read the game and floor and the other one that had/has zero clue.

no one. not even BT or J-MW on a consistent basis. and therein lies the problem.............

:)Hamilton is my comparison and why I have come to this conclusion. I was a Freshman in 1988, so I was there for the Royce Jeffries, Thomas Jordan, Richard Dumas, etc era.

Watching what Eddie did with the team in his first year is what has me convinced that Boynton doesn't have "it". Boynton might end up being a decent coach like Hamilton, but he will never be a top coach that makes a good team into a great team.

no one. not even BT or J-MW on a consistent basis. and therein lies the problem.............
This has been a huge problem. He has never been able to sign a true game managing pg. I know people will point to Cade but he was always a 1 and done and not a long term solution. He doesn’t have one coming in his new class unless we hit on one in the portal.

This has been a huge problem. He has never been able to sign a true game managing pg. I know people will point to Cade but he was always a 1 and done and not a long term solution. He doesn’t have one coming in his new class unless we hit on one in the portal.
Dead on.

If the current state of the program and what you see around the country doesn’t make you understand that NCAA basketball is about guard play first, I don’t know what will.

Back