Kansas State Game

Eddie was very good at holding players accountable in a way that would work today. I mean he wasn’t the type to yell and cuss like saban would but his approach worked.

He would get the football gear our if he thought they were playing soft. He made players ride the pine. Even gundy has a tough love stance with the stairmaster.

I think Boynton needs to find a reward punishment model that can hold these guys accountable because the current path is costly

Agreed. He will never be a successful coach until his players know is they don’t listen to his coaching they will not play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. He will never be a successful coach until his players know is they don’t listen to his coaching they will not play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm kind of thinking the Boynton is approaching 20 years of coaching experience, so if he hasn't learned things by now then I don't have much hope for him. Sometimes some people are simply mediocre at what they do. It's frustrating that we lock in an unproven coach with a salary so high that it keeps us from replacing him. I hope Chad isn't as lax as people describe him, as this is very concerning. We need as AD that puts us in position to win across all sports.

I'm kind of thinking the Boynton is approaching 20 years of coaching experience, so if he hasn't learned things by now then I don't have much hope for him. Sometimes some people are simply mediocre at what they do. It's frustrating that we lock in an unproven coach with a salary so high that it keeps us from replacing him. I hope Chad isn't as lax as people describe him, as this is very concerning. We need as AD that puts us in position to win across all sports.
He’s not lax. He’s stuck by actions of the previous administration

I hope Chad isn't as lax as people describe him, as this is very concerning.
If you're getting this from what I said on my posts.....***full disclosure** I don't know sht. It's just a feeling I got about Weiberg when I watched the press conference with him and Boynton last year about the NCAA punishment. He seemed to be very accepting of it and Boynton's body language made me think he was resentful of Weiberg's attitude on it. Also, I don't think any big time program with an AD you has clout would've gotten that punishment. (like Kansas) Sooooo, Weiberg might be awesome, but I'm skeptical so far. Also, Gundy didn't have to replace any underperforming coaches this season so that seems like another red flag. But my disclaimer is.....I don't really know sht.

"“I believe that it inspired our guys to fight a little harder and I felt like it impacted the way the refs called the game.”

KSU's first year coach on getting a T. Our nice coach would never.

If you're getting this from what I said on my posts.....***full disclosure** I don't know sht. It's just a feeling I got about Weiberg when I watched the press conference with him and Boynton last year about the NCAA punishment. He seemed to be very accepting of it and Boynton's body language made me think he was resentful of Weiberg's attitude on it. Also, I don't think any big time program with an AD you has clout would've gotten that punishment. (like Kansas) Sooooo, Weiberg might be awesome, but I'm skeptical so far. Also, Gundy didn't have to replace any underperforming coaches this season so that seems like another red flag. But my disclaimer is.....I don't really know sht.
Lord

K-State was the better team.
Disagree. Two guys (1 & 11) went off from 3pt land and the majority of fouls on us were shooting fouls (same dudes - made their FTs). They were being called for more fouls but away from the basket. The rest of were sloppy with hacking defense and miscues trying to get around the our defense. The 'Boys just did not take advantage of the situation and I agree that is coaching. At some point, he has to inform them of the foul situation and make them dribble and drive...the problem is they are either enamored with the splash three or don't understand the effect an efficient down low offense can have against the other team. WE. HAD. BONUS. WITH. 14 MINUTES LEFT!!!! At least 2 cats should have been out of the game with under 10min. These teams today seem to want the "easy" 3 that gets them back in the game quickly...0 IQ.
It's taken me a few seasons, but I am with most on this point now. We have great athletes on these teams, but when it comes to fighting and clawing back into a game to take control its not there...
While I'm on the subject of fighting...it drove me nuts yesterday with how many loose balls were created by our defense but no fight to corral the ball. One guy was left to scrap with 2-3cats. The rest just watching and waiting for the ball to 'come out' so they could get the break away...This really stood out with Mitch Solomon in attendance with the other alumni...along with several others that knew what hustle meant.

IDK, maybe that's what you meant by 'team'...ours are the better athletes but KSU did what they needed as a team...play hack defense and pray 1 & 11 don't go cold while moving the ball just enough to get them looks.

When I watch the best teams from around the country or even our conference look at their coaches. The coaches all exhibit an intensity to win. Self is not afraid to get in the ear of a 5 star player. They demand an adherence to excellence from their players and the officials. They hold people to accountability.

Contrast that w what we get. Seldom does Boynton get in a player’s ear. His conversations w officials look more like pleas for help vs what you see from a Self, Huggins or even Drew on occasion.

Yesterday was such a winnable and completely must have game and we pissed it down our leg. There was never a sense of urgency. Never “Hey Harris/Williams, no 3s today.” When the game tightened and we needed to attack the rim we shot 4 3s out of 5 shot attempts (w 2 turnovers mixed in).

We continue to run that stupid eff’n 4 flat baseline inbounds and continue to turn it over. Our sideline inbounds aren’t much better and often result in a backcourt inbounds 80 feet from the basket where we chew through shot clock and often end up in iso w a terrible shot as the clock winds down.

It was obvious we couldn’t contain 1 on the dribble but we continued to body up at the logo. Or we would duck behind the screen when he was at the 3 point line. It was like we were ok w him shooting 3s from 22 feet but we’re determined not to let him get one off from 35 feet. It was one of the most stupid aspects of our game yesterday. Not to mention needing to keep Boone in the game and away from fouls but taking woody out w 3 fouls and switching Boone on to 11.

He coaches like a person under zero pressure to win. Our players play like a team w zero pressure to win. Yesterday’s game should have had all that pressure and more and it was pathetic.

Last edited:
He can’t recruit a functional team. Look at the current recruiting class. 1 center, 3 forwards, 1 combo guard… Todays game requires shooters and guys (guards) that can go get a bucket. None of the guys he brings in are known for their offense, just “freak athletes”.
Some of us have been saying this to all the “why can’t Gundy recruit like this” people. More to the game than stars and AAU padded stats/highlights.

Bixby kid he had committed is a walking 50 points a night in a 32 minute game.

Parker Friedrichsen (Bixby) 3* or 4* player depending on recruiting sites. About 30 D1 offers including Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Xavier, Creighton, Cincinnati, and OU.

Was committed to OSU, but decided to withdraw his commitment and is now committed to Wake Forest. Not sure why he changed his commit, but it wasn't a big deal at the time. It would be nice to have a pure shooter.

In 2019-2020, I was so ready for the season to be over and for Waters, McGriff, and Dizzy to move on with their professional careers. However that team did have some vocal leadership on it.

I'm getting close to that point with this coach and team.

Back