2024 Portal Season

So far, 6 out of our 8 scholarships are distributed to guard/wing players (Thompson, Keller, Dow, Johnson, Dean, Davis) and 2 to forward/posts (Jennings & Avery). What is the typical distribution of scholarships for these positions?
We still have several available for whatever position HCSL wants.

How many power forwards have we had in the past six years?
We seem to get PF's and try to play them as C's. I'll list who we had as PF/C
Dailey
Garrison
Marsh
McBride
Miranda

Kalib
Cisse
Tyreek Smith
Kouma
Woody (had the build but played more SF)

Cisse
Kalib
Moncrieffe
Tyreek Smith
Kouma

Kalib
Moncrieffe
Kouma
Keylan (more of a SF)

McGriff
Yor Anei (still can't figure out why he left)
Kalib
Keylan (more of SF)
Hidde Roessink (don't remember much about him)

2018 (don't remember much about this team, mostly just trying to fill scholarships)
McGriff
Yor Anei
Callo
Demuth
Kentrevious Jones

We seem to get PF's and try to play them as C's. I'll list who we had as PF/C
Dailey
Garrison
Marsh
McBride
Miranda

Kalib
Cisse
Tyreek Smith
Kouma
Woody (had the build but played more SF)

Cisse
Kalib
Moncrieffe
Tyreek Smith
Kouma

Kalib
Moncrieffe
Kouma
Keylan (more of a SF)

McGriff
Yor Anei (still can't figure out why he left)
Kalib
Keylan (more of SF)
Hidde Roessink (don't remember much about him)

2018 (don't remember much about this team, mostly just trying to fill scholarships)
McGriff
Yor Anei
Callo
Demuth
Kentrevious Jones
Thanks for that info. HCSL has said he'll play a motion offense. Hasn't he implied it'll be sort of positionless? That's what the Thunder say of their offense. Our tallest guys are two new guys at 6'7" and two holdovers at 6'6". So do we need at least two guys taller than that? Three? More?

I am really hoping we can land Wesley Yates from Washington. Seems like he would be our most impactful transfer pickup to this point. As far as I have been able to tell, his only visits have been to OSU and Louisville.

Came across an article from 2 days ago that lists him as the top available scorer/creator in the portal. Here is the excerpt:

"SCORER/CREATOR

1. Wesley Yates, from Washington: An injury kept Yates out of the lineup as a freshman at Washington, but the former prized recruit was billed as a big-time, creative bucket-getter in high school. He might need time, but there's a lot of upside with potential addition."

The following is how they describe the scorer/creator role within the article:

• "Scorer/creator: Bucket-getter. This is usually a hooper who can create offense out of thin air. They can pass a bit and can share some of the ball-handling load, but their job is to score, by any means necessary. The most optimal version of these players are three-level scorers who can play on or off the ball. The elite ones can beat you in pick-and-roll or down in the paint (maybe using some bootyball) when they have an advantage.
    • Example: Tennessee's Dalton Knecht"

We need to find that multi year elite defender. The Marcus, Dove, Tony Allen, etc. I thought the first couple of years of Coach Mike tenure. We ran full court presses most of the game. Then we lost a lot of depth and quit pressing at all I like the defensive mindset.

We need to find that multi year elite defender. The Marcus, Dove, Tony Allen, etc. I thought the first couple of years of Coach Mike tenure. We ran full court presses most of the game. Then we lost a lot of depth and quit pressing at all I like the defensive mindset.

I think you’re really gonna love the defense of Davis and Dean. Davis was all defensive first team in the SEC last year and Dean led the ncaa in steals. With Keller in the rotation our guards should be really strong on the defensive end next year.

Back