What do you want to see different out of the bye week?

Somebody to donate about $10 million to our NIL because we gonna need to be portal hunting in December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😬

Blocking schemes that allow us to gain an advantage.
Coverage of tight ends and running backs
Coverage of crossing patterns
7 to 12 yard passes in the middle of the field
OUR FANS TO NOT BOO US!!! Let our opponents boo us. Express frustration here!!
Yup, replace the two guards because guard play has been AWFUL!!! Give Davis Dotson and Austin Kawicki a shot there as both are pretty much ready for prime time! AND FOR GODS SAKE UTLIZE MORE GAP SCHEME BLOCKING AND LESS ZONE!!! 🤔
As for defense, I have no clue how they fix that other than to say play fundamental football and stay in your gap and quit biting so hard on counter plays!!! 🥴

I just want to see a HC, staff, and players that look like they want to be on the field instead of the disinterested, boring, stale, status quo we've had recently. I want to see actual competitors instead of a bunch of people going through the motions to get their paycheck. I want to see a staff and team that looks like they enjoy their opportunity to play a game for a living instead of looking like they hate that they're having to be there.

I want to see a change - ANY change that indicates our staff actually cares about winning instead of protecting their culture.

I just want to see a HC, staff, and players that look like they want to be on the field instead of the disinterested, boring, stale, status quo we've had recently. I want to see actual competitors instead of a bunch of people going through the motions to get their paycheck. I want to see a staff and team that looks like they enjoy their opportunity to play a game for a living instead of looking like they hate that they're having to be there.

I want to see a change - ANY change that indicates our staff actually cares about winning instead of protecting their culture.
Didn’t want to like that post but it makes too much sense not to.

They need to be hitting it like their ass is on fire

Gundy is about as bad as Dunn when it comes to calling plays. His poor play calling was the impetus for hiring Holgerson in the first place.
Oh I know. I just want to see him more involved. Show that he’s still into this thing.

I expect very little. Gundy should have fired Dunn years ago. He should fire him today. However, there's no one on this staff, Gundy included, that I think could step in and make meaningful changes to our system. Gundy should have fired Dickey years ago, but firing him now doesn't solve the problem. It would just make me feel better. I expect very little to change overall, except that we figure out just enough to get to 6 wins and a bowl game. I don't know who those 3 wins come against, but I think the only thing Gundy actually cares about is his bowl streak.

The one thing that absolutely must happen, that should happen and could provide immediate benefits to this team and to our team next year, is benching Bowman for Flores. So long as he's healthy, Flores should be the starter. Hell, I don't even know if that kid is any good, I just know what we've got ahead of him isn't great, either. Something needs to provide a spark to this offense and give the fans hope, even though Gundy openly acknowledged that it's not his job to care about what the fans think or say. Flores absolutely should be the starter coming out of the bye. It's not ideal to get your first start on the road and against a top 15 team, but hell, Rudolph did it and turned out just fine. He needs experience because next year, there won't be experience on this team.

If I see Bowman get another start, I'm mailing it in on this program until Gundy is out. Truthfully, while it should be Flores, I don't even care if it's Rangel. Bowman has to be done, however. I acknowledge that it's a bit of a weird line to draw in the sand, especially with the ups and downs we've had with Gundy over the past 20 years. However, it's just the straw that will finally break the camel's back. Especially on the heels of some of his comments in his presser this week. Ceterus paribus, if Bowman gets one more start, I'm out. It's not a big loss for OSU- I'm not rich. It will be a big deal for me, though.

Gundy is about as bad as Dunn when it comes to calling plays. His poor play calling was the impetus for hiring Holgerson in the first place.
I disagree with this. I think Gundy is a good play caller, but he isn’t good enough to be HC AND call plays. Point being, time tending to HC duties leaves little time to scheming offense.

For myself, I’d like to see less alcohol consumption and more time with family

Fbifam GIF by CBS

If we end up with a losing record or not going to a bowl game, mark my words....I will drive up from Texas and confront Gundy at the old folks home during his coaches show. Getting paid $7M a year to not give a damn is bs. It's time for him to move on. We have to quit hiring hs coaches for coordinators.

Remember 1988. We had a bad defense that season but then completely shut down a pretty good offense in the holiday bowl. I remember it being said during that game that our coaches really simplified the defense in the practices leading up to the game.

I'd like to see that because whatever this defense has our players doing, or trying to do, is obviously not working. Just wind them up and set them loose... can't be any worse.

Remember 1988. We had a bad defense that season but then completely shut down a pretty good offense in the holiday bowl. I remember it being said during that game that our coaches really simplified the defense in the practices leading up to the game.

I'd like to see that because whatever this defense has our players doing, or trying to do, is obviously not working. Just wind them up and set them loose... can't be any worse.
The problem is that we're just not getting consistency. Last year was always going to be tough with a new coordinator and switching to a new scheme. Then we lost some critical players from last year's team (Benson, Goodlow, McKinney) in the offseason. Then we lost more key players as the season has gone along (Wright, Oliver, and Martin) which has necessitated playing newer players at crucial roles for the 3-3-5. Even though our secondary is mostly intact, these guys can't cover for forever, and every defensive scheme is going to have a hole somewhere. When we can't generate a consistent pass rush, or we have inexperienced linebackers who are out of position, we're going to give up a lot of yards which will make our DBs look bad.

Honestly, I don't care if we keep Nardo around or not. We have bigger problems on the offensive side of the ball. Outside of one year with Knowles, we haven't had a great defense here in my lifetime. I have also said before that it's tough to provide an honest assessment of the defense when your offense is as spectacularly terrible as ours has been. People are still going to box score evaluate and spout their opinions, and that's fine, whatever. I'm not sure that I've seen anything from Nardo at this point that shows he has potential, though I do think the 3-3-5 can work. I just don't think people should be making meaningful conclusions of the defense at this point. We have got to fix the offense first. Then let's look at the defense and go from there.

The problem is that we're just not getting consistency. Last year was always going to be tough with a new coordinator and switching to a new scheme. Then we lost some critical players from last year's team (Benson, Goodlow, McKinney) in the offseason. Then we lost more key players as the season has gone along (Wright, Oliver, and Martin) which has necessitated playing newer players at crucial roles for the 3-3-5. Even though our secondary is mostly intact, these guys can't cover for forever, and every defensive scheme is going to have a hole somewhere. When we can't generate a consistent pass rush, or we have inexperienced linebackers who are out of position, we're going to give up a lot of yards which will make our DBs look bad.

Honestly, I don't care if we keep Nardo around or not. We have bigger problems on the offensive side of the ball. Outside of one year with Knowles, we haven't had a great defense here in my lifetime. I have also said before that it's tough to provide an honest assessment of the defense when your offense is as spectacularly terrible as ours has been. People are still going to box score evaluate and spout their opinions, and that's fine, whatever. I'm not sure that I've seen anything from Nardo at this point that shows he has potential, though I do think the 3-3-5 can work. I just don't think people should be making meaningful conclusions of the defense at this point. We have got to fix the offense first. Then let's look at the defense and go from there.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said but the topic is what to do during the bye week. My suggestion is simplifying the defense and let the guys just play. We heard a lot in the offseason about how fast this defense was, well speed doesn't matter as much when you waste too much time reading and reacting. Yes the 3-3-5 can work and has worked at other places but it is not working here for whatever reason and we better be recruiting to what we plan on running next year.

Somebody to donate about $10 million to our NIL because we gonna need to be portal hunting in December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😬
Even if I had it, I wouldn’t give it to OSU or the football program without serious strings attached. Certain things would have to happen before those funds would be freed up.

Defensively I'd like us to line up in a traditional 3-4 with corners playing tight man coverage and the safeties closer to help out in the run game. If we get beat deep so be it.. We have to stop the run, even if it takes 11 in the box.

Offensively I'd rather have Gundy close his eyes and pull a random play out of a hat than let Dunn decide what we're running. Flores is hurt and Rangel is worse than Bowman imo. Sadly I believe our only chance at a winning season is if Bowman pulls his head out. If Ollie is done let's go 4 wide with a TE or 5 wide.

Back