What’s the dealio with this site?

gopokes83

Went from OP to Discord to here… where is everyone? Most of the discussion posts are at least two weeks old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i messaged orangepower on Facebook when the old site went down but never got a response. Seems like whoever is doing social media for orangepower could get the word out.

i messaged orangepower on Facebook when the old site went down but never got a response. Seems like whoever is doing social media for orangepower could get the word out.
Seems like whoever is doing social media for OP doesn't give af. The way the site disappeared, and we got not communication afterwards was bizarre and somewhat disrespectful considering the community that was built there over like 20 years. I'm grateful for the work that went into making it such a great meeting location, but equally frustrated by the way it vanished with no traces or notifications from the managers.

Well they didn't get much notice that OrangePower was going away. OP9000 had the original ownership of the domain name and was using his OSU email address as part of the registration. When OP9000 quit OSU and no longer had access to his OSU email, when the renewal came due the notice was not delivered so the site was auctioned off. They did put a tweet out saying they were working on it and that the discord chat was still available, but as you pointed out they did not communicate worth sh*t. Still they lost everything they had built up for all those years. All that hard work down the drain.

Well they didn't get much notice that OrangePower was going away. OP9000 had the original ownership of the domain name and was using his OSU email address as part of the registration. When OP9000 quit OSU and no longer had access to his OSU email, when the renewal came due the notice was not delivered so the site was auctioned off. They did put a tweet out saying they were working on it and that the discord chat was still available, but as you pointed out they did not communicate worth sh*t. Still they lost everything they had built up for all those years. All that hard work down the drain.
That's the part I don't understand. Wouldn't the data still be accessible on the host's server, and it could have just been re-named to Cowboys 4 Ever or something?

That's the part I don't understand. Wouldn't the data still be accessible on the host's server, and it could have just been re-named to Cowboys 4 Ever or something?
Have you ever run a site? Perhaps it was a lot more work and effort on the backside of the problem to deal with at the time. People have lives, professions, etc that likely take precedence over a 20yr project that could be quite a headache lately...(freeloaders, inappropriate content, and other general admin shtuff).
@GratefulPoke has put together a great site and slowly getting the band back together. Just enjoy it, contribute - content & funding (just a suggestion), and Go Pokes!

Have you ever run a site? Perhaps it was a lot more work and effort on the backside of the problem to deal with at the time. People have lives, professions, etc that likely take precedence over a 20yr project that could be quite a headache lately...(freeloaders, inappropriate content, and other general admin shtuff).
@GratefulPoke has put together a great site and slowly getting the band back together. Just enjoy it, contribute - content & funding (just a suggestion), and Go Pokes!
I'm thankful for all the work that went into OP, and fully understand that its not easy to do. My only complaint is how it vanished with little to no communication. I found that incredibly odd considering the number of people that invested so much into that community over the years.

I am hopeful that this site can grow into a similar community over the years.

I'm thankful for all the work that went into OP, and fully understand that its not easy to do. My only complaint is how it vanished with little to no communication. I found that incredibly odd considering the number of people that invested so much into that community over the years.

I am hopeful that this site can grow into a similar community over the years.
OP.com was managed administratively "on the side" by someone who was also part of the university. That person moved on to a new job at a different university and some of the technical responsibilities fell through the cracks. The domain (and OP site) were both orphaned at that point and here we are.

It's comparable to having our favorite bar to hang out and discuss all things OSU only to have the owner unexpectedly lock the doors and move out of town without notice. We now have this new place to hang out. Spread the word and help make it what you want it to be.

OP.com was managed administratively "on the side" by someone who was also part of the university. That person moved on to a new job at a different university and some of the technical responsibilities fell through the cracks. The domain (and OP site) were both orphaned at that point and here we are.

It's comparable to having our favorite bar to hang out and discuss all things OSU only to have the owner unexpectedly lock the doors and move out of town without notice. We now have this new place to hang out. Spread the word and help make it what you want it to be.
Understood. Hoping this one eventually builds to a similar level of involvement!

I finally found this site after I stumbled across a mention of it on Reddit. I was not a fan of the other sites I visited. I hope this evolves into an even better OP site.

Last edited:
I found this site pretty early. However, there's a general lack of engagement that hurts it. Also, it seems like the few posters that are on here have drank the orange kool-aid and can't objectively look at OSU (especially football) and be realistic about the state of the program and the coach. I have no desire to engage with either overly negative people or those who make excuses for everything.

I found this site pretty early. However, there's a general lack of engagement that hurts it. Also, it seems like the few posters that are on here have drank the orange kool-aid and can't objectively look at OSU (especially football) and be realistic about the state of the program and the coach. I have no desire to engage with either overly negative people or those who make excuses for everything.
So you only engage if you slightly disagree with someone....
Is that because its more about which minds have potential to be changed rather than those that might just have a completely different perspective to offer?

I'll agree with the general sentiment, here, but I also wouldn't let that hinder engagement. The early adopters on this site have seemingly been predominantly kool-aid drinkers, and its created an echo chamber with lack of discussion. Hopefully we get a larger, more diverse group over time, and start building some healthy discussions and disagreements. Like it or not, disagreements create more robust discussions.

I'll agree with the general sentiment, here, but I also wouldn't let that hinder engagement. The early adopters on this site have seemingly been predominantly kool-aid drinkers, and its created an echo chamber with lack of discussion. Hopefully we get a larger, more diverse group over time, and start building some healthy discussions and disagreements. Like it or not, disagreements create more robust discussions.
What would you like to argue about first? ;)

Back