The Death Spiral

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrz072822dAPR.jpg

I just noticed that you edited this after I had read the unedited part...so, since you like to call people (me) idiots for incited division, why aren't you attacking the ones that are 'dividing' through their posts making fun of transgenders?...I honestly don't care if you answer the question...you've already 'outed' yourself...
Could be for a variety of reasons, but the most likely is that I simply haven't read every post on this forum, and have simply missed such posts. Could also be that your definition of "dividing through making fun of transgenders" is too broad, similar to how you're conflating things in this convo to mean that a negative response to your dumb post somehow indicates that people are "uncomfortable" (with LGBTQ+). I'm a fairly consistent libertarian with annoyingly principled stances on most things. If I see bullying, division, needless destruction, or stupidity, I'll call it out regardless of who you are. My hope is to maintain a consistent, reasoned stance on all issues.

Its interesting that you posted such a provocative post, and now seem taken aback that someone is actually responding to it.

Last edited:
To clarify, since you seem confused...
I have nothing against gay, trans, etc... Why should I care how they choose to live?
I do have something against small-minded people that seek to needlessly provoke others.

Make sense?

If you'll indulge me for a bit; what is it that you hope to achieve with such provocative posts? What is gained by ruffling feathers aside from just being annoying in general? Does it advance humanity in some way? Is it a weird bully tactic? Does it make you feel exceptional? Virtue signaling? Do you genuinely feel that "making people uncomfortable" achieves some kind of positive outcome? What is it that drives people to being annoying like this (regardless of their agenda)?
Who would his post provoke except homophobes?

I got no problem provoking them.

Reactions: PF5
Who would his post provoke except homophobes?

I got no problem provoking them.
The problem I have with it is that its counterproductive (if the goal is progress). My non-binary friend mentioned in previous posts explained their reasoning to me with patience, grace, humility, and a desire to actually make the world better. Their patient explanation educated me, and made me see the issue more clearly, and will pay dividends over time, making society better as a result. Stupid, divisive memes do not have that effect. Their only goal is division and destruction.

I just view mockery as a really inefficient way to instigate change, and it likely has the opposite effect. Its like dropping a bomb on a random Afghan village to kill a terrorist. Did you kill them? Maybe. Did you just create 50 more. Probably. What have you gained by dropping that bomb? You just multiplied hatred in the world.

Did I err in assuming that progress is a goal?

Last edited:
The problem I have with it is that its counterproductive (if the goal is progress). My non-binary friend mentioned in previous posts explained their reasoning to me with patience, grace, humility, and a desire to actually make the world better. Their patient explanation educated me, and made me see the issue more clearly, and will pay dividends over time, making society better as a result. Stupid, divisive memes do not have that effect. Their only goal is division and destruction.

I just view mockery as a really inefficient way to instigate change, and it likely has the opposite effect. Its like dropping a bomb on a random Afghan village to kill a terrorist. Did you kill them? Maybe. Did you just create 50 more. Probably. What have you gained by dropping that bomb? You just multiplied hatred in the world.

Did I err in assuming that "progress" is a goal?
Yes you did err, it was totally trigger you.

Yes you did err, it was totally trigger you.
Ok, lets assume that's true. What's the point of triggering people in general? Its just hard to understand the mindset of going through life trying to provoke responses from other people. The psychology behind that is just unfathomable.

Ok, lets assume that's true. What's the point of triggering people in general? Its just hard to understand the mindset of going through life trying to provoke responses from other people. The psychology behind that is just unfathomable.
It may not be to you, but when someone lives in a drab, sad world one tries to disguise their monochromatic existence by making others defensive or angry. They feel a slight sprinkling of color in their day, but sadly remain in their emotional squalor.

Meh… it was a mildly humorous meme that was posted without harmful intent. If you don’t see much worse on the internet on a daily basis you’re doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I err in assuming that progress is a goal?

Anyone that meme offends isn’t going to be prone to changing their minds if presented with patience, grace, humility, or anything else.

That meme isn’t devisive to anyone but a homophobe. It’s a completely innocuous post mocking homophobes. Homophobes should be mocked.

Where has “patience, grace, and humility” gotten the LGBTQ+ community regarding laws making their very existence a crime or not allowing them to marry? Nowhere.

You know what did work? In your face Stonewall protests of 1969, in your face Pride parades, and in your face “divisive” legal actions.

You could apply the same answered to the civil rights movement.

Asking for primary fundamental rights and asking people not to hate you using only “patience, grace, and humility” is a fools‘ errand. You fight for what’s right….not ask your wrongdoers/oppressors to pretty please do the right thin.

Anyone that meme offends isn’t going to be prone to changing their minds if presented with patience, grace, humility, or anything else.

That meme isn’t devisive to anyone but a homophobe. It’s a completely innocuous post mocking homophobes. Homophobes should be mocked.

Where has “patience, grace, and humility” gotten the LGBTQ+ community regarding laws making their very existence a crime or not allowing them to marry? Nowhere.

You know what did work? In your face Stonewall protests of 1969, in your face Pride parades, and in your face “divisive” legal actions.

You could apply the same answered to the civil rights movement.

Asking for primary fundamental rights and asking people not to hate you using only “patience, grace, and humility” is a fools‘ errand. You fight for what’s right….not ask your wrongdoers/oppressors to pretty please do the right thin.
Disagree on your first point. You're writing off a massive swath of the population when you paint with that broad of a brush, and its the primary reason I am even commenting on this. Being a d-bag just isn't a great way to get a message across. I believe there are a LOT of people out there who are good, rational, empathetic people who may simply be unaware of certain things, and being annoying af about the topic isn't going to positively influence their thoughts or behaviors. Simply being nice goes a long way in nearly every human interaction, so why not start there?

I understand that positive changes aren't always possible through grass roots, relational efforts, so I get the latter part of your post. But asinine memes aren't "fighting for what's right"... They're just divisive trash that should be minimized in the current world inundated with other divisive trash.

Disagree on your first point. You're writing off a massive swath of the population when you paint with that broad of a brush, and its the primary reason I am even commenting on this. Being a d-bag just isn't a great way to get a message across. I believe there are a LOT of people out there who are good, rational, empathetic people who may simply be unaware of certain things, and being annoying af about the topic isn't going to positively influence their thoughts or behaviors. Simply being nice goes a long way in nearly every human interaction, so why not start there?

I understand that positive changes aren't always possible through grass roots, relational efforts, so I get the latter part of your post. But asinine memes aren't "fighting for what's right"... They're just divisive trash that should be minimized in the current world inundated with other divisive trash.
Name something that has changed society that didn’t have divisiveness?

Seems like a whole lot of pearl clutching over a completely gentle meme ("uncomfortable month" = divisive trash (Lulz)) from someone that "just hasn't seen" any anti-gay or anti-trans posts worthy of calling out.
Can you point me to all the anti-gay and anti-trans posts on this board? There must be lots of them based on how you're talking.

Last edited:
Posts like this remind me of the girl I saw walking through Plaza District in OKC with an AR15 strapped over her shoulder; purely meant to provoke, and totally unnecessary/idiotic/counterproductive/divisive. Congrats on outing yourself.
Ok. So this set the discussion off on the way wrong tangent.

Was she cute?

Can you point me to all the anti-gay and anti-trans posts on this board? There must be lots of them based on how you're talking.
Straw man.

I didn’t claim there are “lots of them”. Putting words in someone’s mouth that they didn’t make is a divisive, asinine, tactic as well. You’re outing yourself by not practicing what you preach.

They exist here. They existed in multitudes on orangepower.com. They exist in great multitudes in the internet. You’ve not made one mention of those while clutching your pearls over an “uncomfortable month” meme and claiming you’ve never seen an anti-gay or anti-trans meme or post.

An incredible claim in my book.
Name a person's mind that's been changed by being a douche to them.
A complete an utter dodge. Completely expected.

Posts like this remind me of the girl I saw walking through Plaza District in OKC with an AR15 strapped over her shoulder; purely meant to provoke, and totally unnecessary/idiotic/counterproductive/divisive. Congrats on outing yourself.
So someone exercising their right to open carry lawfully is deemed by your all knowing righteousness to have been done purely meant to provoke.

Seems to me you are really easily provoked…..and primarily when you disagree with the message/proposition being advanced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back