Supreme Court

SCOTUS declines to hear Bannons case

Aww Pity GIF by MOODMAN

explain to me like I´m 12...is anything gonna come of the gifts/bribes that these justices have received? I feel like I´m in the middle of a fictional movie with this $h!t and our choices for president and....

explain to me like I´m 12...is anything gonna come of the gifts/bribes that these justices have received? I feel like I´m in the middle of a fictional movie with this $h!t and our choices for president and....
No. Nothing will come of it. Senate would have to impeach them and there's no way the GOP will support that to lose 2 GOP nominated justices. Only other option is to pass legislation that forces them to adhere to the same rules the rest of the judicial branch adheres to... amd guess what, they'd probably call it unconstitutional.

• Angry
Reactions: PF5
A fair and accurate analysis.
So doesn't impact cases of political or economic significance. But it does impact environmental cases, and the court has been stripping the EPA of power for a few years... or am I missing something here?

Supreme Court lets a truck stop sue the Federal Reserve in latest threat to agency regulations​

The Supreme Court on Monday revived a lawsuit by a North Dakota truck stop that is challenging the fees banks can charge for debit-card transactions in a ruling that could have deeper implications for other government regulations.

The decision was the latest from the Supreme Court this term that would make it easier for industries to challenge what conservative critics describe as the “administrative state.”

“Today’s ruling is especially significant in light of Friday’s decision overruling Chevron, because it means that even old agency rules can be challenged anew so long as they produce any contemporary harm,” said Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law.

“In other words, even understandings of agency authority that are a half-century old can now be challenged on the ground that some recent agency action, however minor, has injured a plaintiff, ” Vladeck added. “Given how much Friday’s ruling in Loper Bright destabilizes administrative law, today’s ruling applies that destabilization retroactively.”

Justice Amy Coney Barrett wrote the opinion for a 6-3 majority, with the liberal justices in dissent.

The truck stop, Corner Post, is fighting a 2011 Federal Reserve rule that capped “interchange fees” at 21 cents per transaction plus a small percentage of that transaction’s value. Retail stores have long chafed at those fees.

The issue before the Supreme Court was more technical: The government argued the truck stock couldn’t sue over the rule because a six-year statute of limitations had already run out.

But Corner Post did not incorporate until 2017 and it argued the statute-of-limitations clock didn’t start ticking until it opened its doors. It claimed that any other outcome would mean a company would be barred from suing over a government regulation before it even began operations.

The federal government said Corner Post’s position would allow opponents of a regulation to challenge it forever by simply finding a new company willing to sue. A federal district court and the 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals sided with the federal government.

I’m no attorney or political insider but to a commoner it looks like we’ve already lost our country to warped republican actions. We have rampant gerrymandering and voter suppression. We have 147 Congress critters who have not suffered for having voted to overturn an election. Some of these openly refused subpoenas and laugh at rules that apply to them. Trump and McConnell did little else but install partisan judges. Thomas an Alito have apparently been taking bribes for years and years. We’re in trouble .

I’m no attorney or political insider but to a commoner it looks like we’ve already lost our country to warped republican actions. We have rampant gerrymandering and voter suppression. We have 147 Congress critters who have not suffered for having voted to overturn an election. Some of these openly refused subpoenas and laugh at rules that apply to them. Trump and McConnell did little else but install partisan judges. Thomas an Alito have apparently been taking bribes for years and years. We’re in trouble .
Short of several justices retiring and being replaced by non partisan ones and Congress getting some ethics this is hard to come back from on any reasonable timeframe.

If Trump wins it only gets worse because he'll get a couple more SCOTUS appointments and lots of appointments to lower courts.

McConnel refusing Garland's appointment in 2015 really and then about-facing to rush through Amy Coney Barrett had a HUGE impact on this country.

Paving the way for a dictatorship, plain and simple. The side that screams "but muh constituion!" is openly applauding this because it lets their messiah off the hook (for now).

I just hope the Dems stop being such pussies and start playing by the same (non) rules. Stack the supreme court, jail your political opponents, refuse to give up office if you lose, and burn the whole thing down.

Up until recently I still believed in this country. SCOTUS has completely demolished that. And before the MAGA's come in and say "if you don't like it, leave!". Trust me, I'm trying. Getting out before Gilead.

It doesn't matter what you think of Biden's health. This country can't afford to give Trump another 4 years. SCOTUS will have turnover in justices and we can't let them be MAGA followers.

Please vote anti-Trump in a way that will count - i.e. don't throw it away on a 3rd party. Same for congress, if Trump wins, we need people in power that will check him, if he loses we need a non-divided government to start trying to undo some of this.

Paving the way for a dictatorship, plain and simple. The side that screams "but muh constituion!" is openly applauding this because it lets their messiah off the hook (for now).

I just hope the Dems stop being such pussies and start playing by the same (non) rules. Stack the supreme court, jail your political opponents, refuse to give up office if you lose, and burn the whole thing down.

Up until recently I still believed in this country. SCOTUS has completely demolished that. And before the MAGA's come in and say "if you don't like it, leave!". Trust me, I'm trying. Getting out before Gilead.
If I’m the current president I officially order my generals to abduct the 6 conservative justices and Trump.

Is she making recommendations to the current POTUS?

"Here's things that would be official actions nod nod wink wink."
Sic em Joe, Seal Team 6? Why not, he’s a clear and present danger to our republic and constitution. Take out those partisan judges, call in a missile strike on the Heritage Foundation! Why not, official act.
For @CowboyJD : sarcasm

Last edited:
VERY rare I will agree with this person, but I think she might be right here. There are 3 branches of Govt and they are all accountable to EACH OTHER....the SCOTUS just put ONE of those branches above the other two in Power and thus destroyed the balance of Power in the US Govt.

I wonder if the POTUS has the power now as an official act to fire and remove all of the SCOTUS judges and nominate their replacements ?

AOC wants to impeach SCOTUS justices following Trump immunity ruling​

• Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said she'd file impeachment articles against Supreme Court justices.
  • The congresswoman cast the move as an effort to "defend our nation" from "authoritarian capture."
  • It came after the court handed former President Donald Trump a win in his immunity case.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is ready to impeach Supreme Court justices after the court handed former President Donald Trump a victory in his immunity case.

The Democrat from New York wrote that the court has become "consumed by a corruption crisis beyond its control" and that it's "up to Congress to defend our nation from this authoritarian capture."

The House is set to return from its current recess next Monday.

It was not immediately clear which justices the congresswoman would seek to impeach, though she has previously suggested that Justice Clarence Thomas should be over his failure to disclose lavish trips paid for by Republican billionaires, some of whom had business before the court.

On Friday, the court released an opinion finding that presidents have absolute immunity from criminal prosecution for most official acts, a ruling that Justice Sonia Sotomayor suggested would enable presidents to assassinate their political rivals.

Ocasio-Cortez's impeachment bid is unlikely to go anywhere in the near term: Republicans control the House and Democratic leadership hasn't fully come around to the notion that the justices should face impeachment.

In a statement after the ruling, House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries said that Democrats would "engage in aggressive oversight and legislative activity with respect to the Supreme Court to ensure that the extreme, far-right justices in the majority are brought into compliance with the Constitution."

But the act of filing impeachment articles represents a significant escalation in Democrats' efforts to exercise greater oversight over the high court, which has faced numerous ethics scandals in recent years while issuing a spate of conservative opinions that have upended decades of precedent, including the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022.

The last (and only) time a Supreme Court Justice has been impeached was 220 years ago, when Samuel Chase survived an effort to remove him in 1804 over his handling of two politically sensitive trials.

• Agree
Reactions: PF5
Back