Harris 2024 election thread

How do these states replace a governor if theirs becomes VP? Is it by election or LtGov fills the role for remainder of term?
Each state has a constitutionally prescribed method for filling vacancies in the office of governor. In the 45 states with a lieutenant governor, that individual is the first in the line of succession. Whether additional offices in the line of succession are named in the constitution or by statute varies among states.

Among those states with no office of lieutenant governor, the primary successor to the governor varies. Officers first in line to succeed the governor in case of a vacancy are:

The president of the state senate in two states (Maine and New Hampshire). State Senate presidents in West Virginia and Tennessee are also first in line since they serve as lieutenant governor ex officio.
The secretary of state in three other states (Arizona[1], Oregon and Wyoming).
Overall, the constitutional rules for who comes second in line for the governor's seat are much more complex than that of first in line. Common second-in-lines include:

The President of the Senate (Pro Tempore)
The Speaker of the House
The Secretary of State
However, seven states have a more complex succession prescribed by law and another seven states do not designate a specific successor.

Vacancy procedures usually address the length of absence at which a temporary vacancy becomes a permanent vacancy. In many cases, the governor may temporarily surrender power while traveling outside the state or during periods of injury or illness. In such cases, the lieutenant governor or the governor's primary successor usually becomes a temporary "acting governor."

Vacancy procedures may also detail:

whether the officer who succeeds to the governorship has the full powers of the elected governor they replaced
situations in which an appointed governor completes the current term and situations under which a special election is called
whether the individual who replaces the elected governor must belong to the same party as the governor
the privilege of governors who are resigning voluntarily, often to accept a higher office, to name their own replacement
what happens when a governor-elect dies, resigns, or is otherwise unavailable to take the oath of office
how to remove a governor against the governor's will. This includes impeachment, recall, and removal on grounds of mental or physical unfitness for the office. In recent years, Illinois successfully impeached Rod Blagojevich for corruption, and the citizens of California successfull
y recalled Gray Davis.

Project 2025 contributor, Monica Crowley: “Michelle Obama will run for president because she “squares the Kamala Harris circle: being a minority and a DEI hire.”

How do these states replace a governor if theirs becomes VP? Is it by election or LtGov fills the role for remainder of term?
Don’t know. I do know that the governor would get to fill Kelly’s seat. Or I believe that is correct at least.

Project 2025 contributor, Monica Crowley: “Michelle Obama will run for president because she “squares the Kamala Harris circle: being a minority and a DEI hire.”

Why do Republicans want Michelle Obama to run for President so badly??

For all of you worried about being labeled sexist / racist - calling Harris a "DEI hire" is both sexist and racist.

Just a helpful hint from your friendly neighborhood commie loving leftist

So, if one says he is definitely hiring a woman to fill a position, is that not a "DEI hire"? I am confused.

At a Democratic primary debate in March (2020), the former vice president pledged to pick a woman as his running mate.

“If I’m elected president, my — my cabinet, my administration will look like the country,” Biden said in response to a question about how a Biden administration would handle women’s issues. “And I commit that I will, in fact, appoint a — I’ll pick a woman to be vice president. There are a number of women who are qualified to be president tomorrow. I would pick a woman to be my vice president.”

So, if one says he is definitely hiring a woman to fill a position, is that not a "DEI hire"? I am confused.

At a Democratic primary debate in March (2020), the former vice president pledged to pick a woman as his running mate.

“If I’m elected president, my — my cabinet, my administration will look like the country,” Biden said in response to a question about how a Biden administration would handle women’s issues. “And I commit that I will, in fact, appoint a — I’ll pick a woman to be vice president. There are a number of women who are qualified to be president tomorrow. I would pick a woman to be my vice president.”

It may be technically accurate. But it is a very weak personal attack, IMO…and continues just going low to attack. Plus many, if not most, find that offensive. Harris was certainly as qualified to be VP as Vance is now.

But for GOP talking points, more importantly calling Harris a DEI hire takes focus away from a big talking point for the GOP and what should be a huge vulnerability for Harris. An issue highlighting a perceived strength for Trump (and a big difference between the two that many view favoring Trump). And that issue is border security. Her largest responsibility as VP was when Biden anointed her the border czar, yet we saw record illegal crossings under her leadership.

What does DEI mean to you?

Back