Biden 2024 Run Thread

Interesting perspective from a moderate politician. Dem US Rep from Maine. OpEd in Bangor Daily News: “Donald Trump is going to win the election and democracy will be just fine”.

After the first Presidential debate, lots of Democrats are panicking about whether President Joe Biden should step down as the party’s nominee. Biden’s poor performance in the debate was not a surprise. It also didn’t rattle me as it has others, because the outcome of this election has been clear to me for months: While I don’t plan to vote for him, Donald Trump is going to win. And I’m OK with that.

There are winners and losers in every election. Democrats’ post-debate hand-wringing is based on the idea that a Trump victory is not just a political loss, but a unique threat to our democracy. I reject the premise. Unlike Biden and many others, I refuse to participate in a campaign to scare voters with the idea that Trump will end our democratic system.

This Independence Day marks our nation’s 248th birthday. In that time, American democracy has withstood civil war, world wars, acts of terrorism and technological and societal changes that would make the Founders’ head spin.

Pearl-clutching about a Trump victory ignores the strength of our democracy. Jan. 6, 2021, was a dark day. But Americans stood strong. Hundreds of police officers protected the democratic process against thousands who tried to use violence to upend it. Judges and state election officials upheld our election laws. Members of Congress, including leaders from both parties, certified the election results.

They all are joined in the defense of democracy by the millions of us who, like me, made an oath of allegiance to the United States and to the Constitution when we began our military service, plus hundreds of millions of freedom-loving Americans who won’t let anyone take away our constitutional rights as citizens of the greatest democracy in history.

This election is about the economy, not democracy. And when it comes to our economy, our Congress matters far more than who occupies the White House.

Some of Congress’ best work in recent years has happened in spite of the president, not because of him. A handful of responsible Democrats, including myself and West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, rejected Biden’s bloated “Build Back Better” bill and instead passed a law that supercharged American energy production, saved Medicare billions of dollars and reduced the deficit. Years earlier, Congress stood up to the GOP establishment who tried to hijack Trump’s agenda to achieve their long-held goal of repealing the Affordable Care Act. Defeating them saved health coverage for tens of millions of Americans and protections for people with preexisting conditions.

In 2025, I believe Trump is going to be in the White House. Maine’s representatives will need to work with him when it benefits Mainers, hold him accountable when it does not and work independently across the aisle no matter what.

Full OpEd here: https://www.bangordailynews.com/202...going-to-win-election-democracy-be-just-fine/

Last edited:
I guess I never find it funny to make fun of anything associated w a disability.

I am a 24/7 365 days a year caregiver to a spouse of over 30 yrs. We started dating in jr high. She is the strongest most courageous person I know who suffers from a genetic illness that for the last 12 yrs has taken away her ability to stand or walk. Can’t transfer to any seat/bed or the toilet. Can’t dress herself. Can’t get her own meds. Can’t make her own food or get her own drink. Can’t clean herself. Thankfully she can still feed herself and there are other things small though they are. We are extremely fortunate to be able to have purchased things and built our house to accommodate her limitations and make life easier for her. When we travel we have to take a manual medical lift and stay in hotels that accommodate not only power wheelchairs but also medical lifts that fit in the bathroom and under the bed. On our last trip both elevators were broken when we came back from a late dinner at a nice hotel and my wife can’t use the restroom without our lift which was in our handicap room on the 5th floor. We don’t get to our room until 2 am. Next time you visit downtown Stillwater note the handicap parking. 9/10 handicap spaces are at an angle. If you pull all the way up the ramp from a handicap converted vehicle is too close to the curb so you have to stay backed out in traffic to allow enough egress for the ramp and wheelchair. Then the wheelchair has to remain in traffic or in a parking spot while the driver pulls the vehicle forward. She has actually been honked at for waiting in a parking spot while I let the ramp retract/door close and then pull forward.

We’ve actually been cussed at at an OSU football game by OSU fans bc we had to ask them to step off the sidewalk so my wife and another gentleman (that we didn’t even know) using a walker could get past them on the sidewalk as there was grass on both sides and their tailgate was set up on one of the grass areas.

So we all have stories and life is not easy. But it’s not easy for everyone. We all have our hurdles. I don’t tell these stories for sympathy. I share these stories bc my hope is that everyone would just take a minute and look around and see how they can make life easy for just one other person.

Why anyone would chose to mock anyone w a disability like Gogetem did is beyond me. It shows a complete lack of anything heart/soul/spirit related.

And why? To get a few laugh or thumbs up emojis. We should all have zero room in any aspect of our life to make fun of someone w any type of disability. Even if they come age related.

Be selfish about it. Think that one day you might need to have someone wipe your @$$ and you hope that everything you’ve put into the universe makes it possible so someone doesn’t mind wiping your @$$.

I have more experience than anyone should have with ALS; it's crushing and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. So I am truly sorry for what you are going through. That said, nothing in the meme made light of having a disease or was poking fun at that. I think you are mischaracterizing the joke.

But even beyond that, Biden is running for freaking President of the United States. If you put yourself out there for that role, not only can you be the subject of scrutiny and humor - you SHOULD be the subject of scrutiny and humor. The day that something becomes 'off limits' for a Presidential candidate is the day we've lost our way.

Clinton liked to hook up with his interns and lied about it. He was a sexual predator and committed perjury.
Bush couldn't find his way out of a paper bag and destabilized the ME. He was dumb as rocks and has a lot of blood on his hands.
Trump is a Tammany hall huckster who is very obviously in cahoots with Putin. He's a traitorous scumbag.
Biden is old... but whoa, let's not call out any of the things that come with old age. That would be mean.

I really can't believe I'm siding with @GOGETUMPOKE on this (see notes above on his candidate, 'traitorous scumbag'), but here we are. As Americans it's our responsibility to call out issues with our leaders and those wishing to be our leaders.

I'm sure this post will win me lots of friends on both sides of the aisle.

I have more experience than anyone should have with ALS; it's crushing and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. So I am truly sorry for what you are going through. That said, nothing in the meme made light of having a disease or was poking fun at that. I think you are mischaracterizing the joke.

But even beyond that, Biden is running for freaking President of the United States. If you put yourself out there for that role, not only can you be the subject of scrutiny and humor - you SHOULD be the subject of scrutiny and humor. The day that something becomes 'off limits' for a Presidential candidate is the day we've lost our way.

Clinton liked to hook up with his interns and lied about it. He was a sexual predator and committed perjury.
Bush couldn't find his way out of a paper bag and destabilized the ME. He was dumb as rocks and has a lot of blood on his hands.
Trump is a Tammany hall huckster who is very obviously in cahoots with Putin. He's a traitorous scumbag.
Biden is old... but whoa, let's not call out any of the things that come with old age. That would be mean.

I really can't believe I'm siding with @GOGETUMPOKE on this (see notes above on his candidate, 'traitorous scumbag'), but here we are. As Americans it's our responsibility to call out issues with our leaders and those wishing to be our leaders.

I'm sure this post will win me lots of friends on both sides of the aisle.
Let’s throw one more Sequoyah tree on this fire. Biden has memory issues and declining physical abilities, it is what it is and I feel bad for him. I’ve had to deal with that both my dad and mother-in-law, it’s simply awful. It’s not Biden’s fault he’s in this shape.

It is the fault of the media, his family and the aides that serve Biden’s office that this hasn’t been honestly addressed with the Congress and the United States Citizens. This is the kind of stuff that leads to a serious war, serious financial issues and compromised national security. What they have done is right up there with anything that Trump has done. If someone can’t understand that then you are as blinded a partisan as a MAGA member is and both groups need to STFU and realize we are compromised.

This is pitiful and both parties are at fault. I find nothing that is remotely enjoyable about watching this crap show. It’s not a spectator sport, it is serious business. Biden’s group has done Biden a great disservice.

Maybe He will drop out.
More and more I am thinking he is going to drop-out. The debate performance was too startling. The small amount of undecideds are going to pick the next President. Those undecided voters have a choice of “the devil you know” vs voting for people, behind the scenes, that they don’t know making Presidential decisions that are not Biden. My guess is many would lean with the devil you know.

I also think choosing a new candidate would provide incredible immediate fund-raising for Dems. No doubt there would be a flurry of revived excitement in the base and the media will strongly support.

There is too much upside to replacing Biden for the party. Keeping him on the ticket is now a very probable loss (although a lot can still happen in 4 months) and it would create a lot of down-ballot pressure for the Dems.

Last edited:
More and more I am thinking he is going to drop-out. The debate performance was too startling. The small amount of undecideds are going to pick the next President. Those undecided voters have a choice of “the devil you know” vs voting for the people, behind the scenes that they don’t know making Presidential decisions that are not Biden. My guess is many would lean with the devil you know.

I also think choosing a new candidate would provide incredible immediate fund-raising for Dems. No doubt there would be a flurry of revived excitement in the base and the media will strongly support.

There is too much upside to replacing Biden.
he's sched a meeting with all of the Dem Govs of all the states

Pretty sure he is going to step down and resign , Kamala will be elevated to POTUS to serve the remainder of the term and they will put the entire war chest behind her

And Trump will win

More and more I am thinking he is going to drop-out. The debate performance was too startling. The small amount of undecideds are going to pick the next President. Those undecided voters have a choice of “the devil you know” vs voting for the people, behind the scenes that they don’t know making Presidential decisions that are not Biden. My guess is many would lean with the devil you know.

There is too much upside to replacing Biden for the party. Keeping him on the ticket is now a very probable loss (although a lot can still happen in 4 months) and it would create a lot of down-ballot pressure for the Dems.
he's sched a meeting with all of the Dem Govs of all the states

Pretty sure he is going to step down and resign , Kamala will be elevated to POTUS to serve the remainder of the term and they will put the entire war chest behind her

And Trump will win
Yeah, I agree. Also, prediction markets are also trending that way.

Harris would be a mistake. By all accounts she has had difficulty managing her staff and is a poor debater. Although I could see Trump saying an off the cuff racially charged comment about her that could hurt him. He has done that before.

Newsom is probably their best shot at winning, he is a good debater, but part of the authoritarian left in my opinion. Not on the same authoritarian level as a DeSantis or certainly Trump, but not someone I would ever consider voting for.

Only one Democrat ‘definitively’ beats Trump in a new July 1-2 Poll

Former first lady Michelle Obama is the only Democrat to “definitively” defeat former President Donald Trump in a hypothetical general election match-up, according to a new poll.

In the latest Reuters/Ipsos poll, 50% of respondents said they would vote for Michelle Obama if she were running against Trump, while 39% said they would vote for the former president.

The poll, conducted between July 1 and 2, sampled 1,070 U.S. adults and has a margin of error of 3.2 percentage points.

Six other Democrats were pitted against Trump in the poll — including President Joe Biden — and they all lost to Trump or tied him.

In a match-up between Biden and Trump, the presumptive nominees of their parties, both men received 40% support. In a match-up between Vice President Kamala Harris and Trump, she lost to him by one point.

The four other Democrats featured in the poll were: California Gov. Gavin Newsom, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear and Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker. They all lost to Trump by three or more points.

The poll also found that Michelle Obama had the highest favorability rating of all eight Democrats.

A majority of respondents, 55%, said they were generally favorable to the former first lady. Meanwhile, 38% said the same for Biden and 42% said the same for Trump.

The other Democrats in the poll had lower favorability ratings, ranging from 40% for Harris to just 11% for Pritzker.

The poll comes one week after the first presidential debate — hosted by CNN in Atlanta — in which many said Biden performed poorly.

When asked if Biden should drop out of the race following the debate, a majority of respondents, 56%, said he should. Meanwhile, just under half of respondents, 46%, said Trump should drop out.

Michelle Obama’s inclusion in the poll comes after she has made multiple statements saying she will not run for president.

“As former first lady Michelle Obama has expressed several times over the years, she will not be running for president,” her spokesperson told Newsweek in July.

She also ruled out running in her memoir “Becoming,” published in 2018, writing, “I’ll say it here directly: I have no intention of running for office, ever,” according to Politico.

And, despite facing some calls to step aside, Biden’s campaign has reiterated that he intends to face off against Trump in November.

Michelle Obama, anyone?!....

Note* I was literally typing this when you sent the post above...

Michelle Obama, anyone?!....

Note* I was literally typing this when you sent the post above...
I think Obama beats Trump by 6-9 Pts ...but i'm also pretty sure she won't take it...75% sure

And as you see by that Polling who is the next best option they have, Kamala...even if she losing by 1-2 pts in polling now.

They will convince themselves on this polling they can make up that ground and get Kamala to debate Trump to prove it. It will go horrible and Trump will end up winning by 1-2%

My predictions

I think Obama beats Trump by 6-9 Pts ...but i'm also pretty sure she won't take it...75% sure

And as you see by that Polling who is the next best option they have, Kamala...even if she losing by 1-2 pts in polling now.

They will convince themselves on this polling they can make up that ground and get Kamala to debate Trump to prove it. It will go horrible and Trump will end up winning by 1-2%

My predictions
I would love to see Michelle run, but have not seen/heard that she is remotely interested ... (maybe to save US from trump?!)ha....I also would not mind Kamala...bottom line is: maga's gonna maga...hard libs gonna lib...would the Independents/undecideds go for a woman?! bottom line 2: people planning to vote for biden are already kind of voting for Kamala....

My predictions
First, I have not looked at any polls. Also, while I do firmly believe she is a good person, I have no opinion or idea how she would fair and don't plan on formulating a stance until that happens.

With that said, she is not going to get involved with politics and I am 99.999% sure on that. Go read "A Promised Land" and hear (I read it as an audio book), in the presidents own words, how much Michelle was not interested in HIM running for president, let alone going through the whole rigamarole herself. The 0.001% of doubt is there as I believe she would only put herself and her family in that position if Biden did resign/pull out of the race and they (the Obama family) felt that a Trump win would be as devastating to the country as some are saying.

First, I have not looked at any polls. Also, while I do firmly believe she is a good person, I have no opinion or idea how she would fair and don't plan on formulating a stance until that happens.

With that said, she is not going to get involved with politics and I am 99.999% sure on that. Go read "A Promised Land" and hear (I read it as an audio book), in the presidents own words, how much Michelle was not interested in HIM running for president, let alone going through the whole rigamarole herself. The 0.001% of doubt is there as I believe she would only put herself and her family in that position if Biden did resign/pull out of the race and they (the Obama family) felt that a Trump win would be as devastating to the country as some are saying.
I've read it ...and she is very clear she doesn't want this job but in the book she insist she has no intention to run........but saying there is no intention to run has been reduced to mean Nothing anymore...most candidates start their campaigns with the " I had no intention" speech

If the Obama's fear that democracy is being threatened or that Trump wants to be an authoritarian dictator...I think she pulls the trigger ..but if the Obama's do not think that is a reality...then she won't

Alot about how very powerful Dems and rich Dems feel about Trump and his next moves will be shown in how she reacts

Funny how a bad debate can sink 1 candidates chances. But being a convicted felon (34 counts), an adulterer, treasonous, and an all around sack of sh!t is just fine. Merica

Funny how a bad debate can sink 1 candidates chances. But being a convicted felon (34 counts), an adulterer, treasonous, and an all around sack of sh!t is just fine. Merica
Funny how you think one bad debate did it. He didn’t just become incompetent last week. Anyone paying even the slightest bit of attention knew he was an empty suit and I’ve been saying it since day one. Anyone that says they were shocked by his debate performance is either lying or too dumb to hold public office and probably shouldn’t even be allowed to vote.

Back