2024 Presidential Election

Wow -- this was weird. Trump wrapped up his "town hall" in Oaks, Pennsylvania, after just a few questions, and right after he said he would take a few more questions. More music then played while Trump stood around on stage. Deeply bizarre scenes.

The PPP ended in May 2021, 4 months after Biden entered office.

I'm curious what you feel Biden did to cause inflation and what he could have done to prevent it?
Spending.....easy short answer. Example is the signature bill passed the IRA did nothing to reduce inflation....not my take that's the bi-partisan CBO's assessment.

The other answer, and probably more important one, is it doesn't matter. Working class folks had it better pre-covid. Right, wrong, or otherwise you can't be pres during a term 20+% inflation and not be the face of it. Some voters will look at it and say "hey they did a good job"...some will say "It's all Biden's fault".....the biggest chunk will simply say inflation was horrible in 2021-2024 and Biden was president.

Spending.....easy short answer. Example is the signature bill passed the IRA did nothing to reduce inflation....not my take that's the bi-partisan CBO's assessment.

The other answer, and probably more important one, is it doesn't matter. Working class folks had it better pre-covid. Right, wrong, or otherwise you can't be pres during a term 20+% inflation and not be the face of it. Some voters will look at it and say "hey they did a good job"...some will say "It's all Biden's fault".....the biggest chunk will simply say inflation was horrible in 2021-2024 and Biden was president.
Do you give any credit for the US having a notably lower inflation than most of the rest of the world, or credit to the positive the IRA brought to offset any lack of improvement in inflation?

The FED is also very influential in the control of inflation. How do you consider their responsibilities vs the president's in that regards? If they refuse to act for an extended period and that allows inflation to rise, does that fall on POTUS?

Do you give any credit for the US having a notably lower inflation than most of the rest of the world, or credit to the positive the IRA brought to offset any lack of improvement in inflation?

The FED is also very influential in the control of inflation. How do you consider their responsibilities vs the president's in that regards? If they refuse to act for an extended period and that allows inflation to rise, does that fall on POTUS?
Of course he doesn't.

And despite all the reasons why to vote for and vote against........ most folks are going to vote on their perception on who will handle this very subject the best.

I agree with your second paragraph. That inflation was coming due to the actions during the pandemic, mostly the actions of the Fed. Even if Milton Friedman's ghost had been elected president that inflation was going to happen.

Last edited:

I do see that we are lower than other similar western nations....I bet if we listed why we think that is from everyone here you'd get dozens of different answers....we can talk about Fed policy pros and cons and there are both to both of those. If you ask people that make middle class wages if managing personal finances is harder you get a very uniform yes.

As @Stillwaterman said above it's perception.....and that's what I'm speaking to. It's not like we have a functioning media you aren't getting honest impartial reporting on the economy you are getting directional propaganda. What is real is that it's a lot harder now for a lot of people. For millions it's as simple as 2019 good 2022 bad. That's the statement that I'm making I'm not beating up Biden or Trump or praising either one of them. What changed between 19-23 was a global pandemic that none of us had on our radar. If you have money no change isn't as bad as if you're struggling and I could be selling my fellow citizens short but you are going to have a lot of voters vote against the last four years no matter who it is and the details of if could it have been handled better or worse don't matter....especially when sorting through all the crap is so difficult now....the vote is just for something different. Don't expect folks to sit around the dinner table and analyze Fed policy....the vote is going to be for different from now.

First day of voting in Georgia. Seeing reports they already hit 122,000 votes by noon. Their first day record for voting is 136,000 in 2020. Pretty safe to say that record gonna fall.

I do see that we are lower than other similar western nations....I bet if we listed why we think that is from everyone here you'd get dozens of different answers....we can talk about Fed policy pros and cons and there are both to both of those. If you ask people that make middle class wages if managing personal finances is harder you get a very uniform yes.

As @Stillwaterman said above it's perception.....and that's what I'm speaking to. It's not like we have a functioning media you aren't getting honest impartial reporting on the economy you are getting directional propaganda. What is real is that it's a lot harder now for a lot of people. For millions it's as simple as 2019 good 2022 bad. That's the statement that I'm making I'm not beating up Biden or Trump or praising either one of them. What changed between 19-23 was a global pandemic that none of us had on our radar. If you have money no change isn't as bad as if you're struggling and I could be selling my fellow citizens short but you are going to have a lot of voters vote against the last four years no matter who it is and the details of if could it have been handled better or worse don't matter....especially when sorting through all the crap is so difficult now....the vote is just for something different. Don't expect folks to sit around the dinner table and analyze Fed policy....the vote is going to be for different from now.
I understand perception being more important that truth.

My frustration is people's lack of attempting to understand the why and what was and was not in the control of the administration and trying to determine if that perception is accurate.

Perception comes from repeatedly seeing a message or evidence. Yes, I will fully concede that prices have gone up MASSIVELY since 2020. But when you look at it, prices haven't gone up significantly in more than a year. Inflation is down, unemployment is down, and pay is going up. The perception is the economy sucks, but the evidence shows otherwise. The perception is there because it keeps getting forced down our throats. I've been hearing about a recession coming for more than 2 years. It never happened.

I understand that until people's pay catches up to the 2021-2023 inflation period money is going to be tight. But voting for someone that is going to put tariffs on everything is only going to raise it more and exacerbate the problem.

ALREADY refusing to Certify NOVEMBER Election Results BEFORE IT HAPPENS

2 Republican Virginia Election Officials Refuse to Certify November Election

Two Republican officials are contesting the voting system ahead of the 2024 presidential election.

A lawsuit, filed in a Virginia courtroom, suggests that Republicans may contest the validity of the Virginia election at a later date. In echoes of Republican objections for the 2020 election, one official claims that the voting machines may be secretly hooked up to the internet, which would allow somebody to externally alter the results.

In the lawsuit, two Republican appointees to the Waynesboro Electoral Board complained that the voting machines are not verifiable and the voting will not be conducted in the open. Former President Donald Trump beat President Joe Biden by less than 600 votes in Waynesboro in 2020.

The lawsuit was filed in Waynesboro Circuit Court by Curtis Lilly, the chairman of the Waynesboro Electoral Board, and Scott Mares, the board's vice chair, against Virginia Department of Elections Commissioner Susan Beals and State Board of Elections Chairman John O'Bannon.

The lawsuit states: "Board members are unable to personally review and verify that the voting machine program being used to count the ballots is keeping a true and accurate count; the voting machine program being used to count the ballots is recording the true and accurate count; and/or that the voting machine record tape accurately represents the ballots cast.

"The plaintiffs believe that the voting machine is counting the votes in secret because neither the program counting the votes recorded on the ballots nor the ballots themselves can be examined."

Newsweek sought email comment on Tuesday from the Waynesboro Electoral Board and the Virginia Department of Elections.

Lilly attached an affidavit in which he explained that he "cannot ensure that the machines do not connect to the internet, allowing for vote counting algorithm manipulation, nor can I ensure with any certainty that the electronic ballot scanners are presenting results which are consistent with the contents of the ballot box.

"I have taken an oath to uphold the Virginia Constitution, which prohibits the secret canvassing of ballots. As such, I believe that certifying the 2024 election would be a violation of the Virginia Constitution."

In the 2020 election, Trump and several key allies claimed that voting machines were rigged for Biden across the country. Two voting machine companies have since taken legal action for defamation.

In April 2023, Fox News settled a defamation suit with Dominion Voting Systems for $787 million and other cases are pending against former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, businessman Mike Lindell and others.

In November 2016, Trump contested the Virginia result while running against Hillary Clinton. In a post-election comment on social media, he wrote that there was "serious voter fraud" in Virginia.

In response, Waynesboro registrar Lisa Jeffers denied that there were any problems.

"I feel very comfortable and confident that the election was exactly as people wanted to see it turn out," she told Virginia's Staunton News Leader.

Democratic Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia, Clinton's running mate, wrote on social media that Trump should not "insult our voters" with such claims.

Link

Is it still well weighted to Dem registered voters doing early voting?
We don't know officially who's doing early voting but historically early voting has always favored Dems. Black and latino women's registration numbers were historical in Georgia this year as well. I ignore polls and focus on what I know, which is people haven't been this excited to vote for a Democratic ticket since Obama '08. No one was ever excited to vote for Biden. Now we have people voting against abortion bans, against Donald Trump, against Jan 6, and FOR a Dem team beating Trump in enthusiasm levels.

We don't know officially who's doing early voting but historically early voting has always favored Dems. Black and latino women's registration numbers were historical in Georgia this year as well. I ignore polls and focus on what I know, which is people haven't been this excited to vote for a Democratic ticket since Obama '08. No one was ever excited to vote for Biden. Now we have people voting against abortion bans, against Donald Trump, against Jan 6, and FOR a Dem team beating Trump in enthusiasm levels.
I just saw this. I have no idea the source or if it's accurate.

Back