Head Coach Steve Lutz

Article from WKU on Lutz taking job

Some really good quotes from when Lutz was hired at WKU.

This is a home run hire for Western Kentucky, a great fit for both sides, and I am thrilled for Steve that he has the opportunity to lead such a historic program. We would not be the Big Ten Champions and a number one seed this year without the impact Steve Lutz had on Purdue basketball. I hired Steve in 2017 to recruit and evaluate and he was outstanding. He works as hard at recruiting as anyone I have seen, and anytime I had a personnel question he always had an answer. He is great at building relationships and having a rapport with people. He can relate to anyone. He was the person most responsible for us signing Zach Edey. He led the recruitment of Zach and also got it over the finish line. But Steve is an all-around excellent coach, and it would be a mistake to label him as only a recruiter. He was our defensive coordinator during his time here, and went against the Big Ten's most efficient offense each day in practice. He has taken some of our offensive principles along with what he did at Creighton to formulate his current offensive approach. Steve is a great family man and a dedicated, disciplined all around coach with a tremendous work ethic. He can teach every aspect of the game. He was a valuable member of our staff and I am not surprised to see him have the success he has had that led to this opportunity. He has earned it, and I have great confidence his successful journey will continue at Western Kentucky.
Purdue head coach Matt Painter
I hired Steve to be the head coach at Texas A&M – Corpus Christi in 2021 and he was outstanding from the moment he accepted the job. He is a winner who does it the right way in all facets. He built a very good staff, developed a strong and competitive culture, and our players loved him. He relates to everyone and can read young men well. He has great recruiting connections and has a versatile recruiting strategy which enables him to fill any personnel need. He is also an excellent x's and o's coach and is meticulous in his planning, preparation and attention to detail. He is a smart, sharp, analytical individual who quickly figures out solutions to problems. I would absolutely hire him again and I'm confident he will do a great job at Western Kentucky.
Georgia Tech Executive Deputy AD, former Texas A&M Corpus-Christi Athletic Director Jon Palumbo
I am thrilled for Steve that he has the opportunity to be Western Kentucky's head basketball coach. We got to know each other during my time at Purdue and the Brohm's have become good friends with the Lutz family. Steve is a great person, an outstanding leader, and a man of high character and integrity. He is an extremely hard worker and tireless recruiter who will build special bonds and relationships with all his players. I know he was highly respected throughout the Purdue athletics department, and I'm confident everyone at Western Kentucky will really enjoy working with him and getting to know his wonderful family. I wish he and WKU basketball all the best!
Louisville Football and former Western Kentucky head coach Jeff Brohm
I couldn't be more excited for Hilltopper fans. They're getting a heck of a basketball coach but an even better person. He's a great family guy. I absolutely loved every minute that I worked with him here at Creighton. I'm really proud of what he's been able to accomplish in his coaching career and the best is yet to come for Western Kentucky.
Creighton head coach Greg McDermott
I am extremely excited for Coach Lutz and his family. He helped me tremendously while we were at Purdue together and for that I am forever grateful. He is a great family man, mentor and friend that I know will do great things at Western Kentucky. I look forward to watching and following the WKU program.
2019 Boston Celtics NBA Draft pick Carsen Edwards
Coach Lutz was a big part of my growth and development at Purdue. His knowledge about the game and ability to relate with his players makes him one of the best in the business. I know Coach will do great things at Western Kentucky.
2022 Detroit Pistons NBA Draft pick Jaden Ivey

3 weeks of "My sources are never wrong, ADCW doesn't know what he's doing, we're tanking the program, no one wants the job, we've been turned down by multiple coaches, burn down GIA, etc." We get a coach and it goes dead quiet.......clownish.

Some really good quotes from when Lutz was hired at WKU.

Purdue head coach Matt Painter

Georgia Tech Executive Deputy AD, former Texas A&M Corpus-Christi Athletic Director Jon Palumbo

Louisville Football and former Western Kentucky head coach Jeff Brohm

Creighton head coach Greg McDermott

2019 Boston Celtics NBA Draft pick Carsen Edwards

2022 Detroit Pistons NBA Draft pick Jaden Ivey
After reading these quotes I’m fairly confident I could run through a brick wall unscathed

So glad to see this was finalized. Lutz looks to be the man for the job, time will tell.

Go recruit those OSU players in the portal coach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if he can keep 3 of Dailey, Keller, Small and McBride. Sign a defensive/rebounding big and a shooter out of the portal. And he can bring some of his better players I’m all in on making a run for the tourney year 1.

Back