Cincy in Stillwater

What was the deal with Cincy players sprinting hard to 1st base on walks and HBP? Looked really stupid and I was just waiting for one of them to get injured.

What was the deal with Cincy players sprinting hard to 1st base on walks and HBP? Looked really stupid and I was just waiting for one of them to get injured.

Back in the mid-'70s it was semi-common, maybe every 2nd or 3rd HS or American Legion team had a guy that did it. Back then they were emulating Pete Rose, who did it throughout his career. And yes, it looked stupid back then, too. I'm sure there was always some dad who thought their kid was Charlie Hustle and yelled at his kid all the way through little league to do it. Probably someone's great idea for the Bearkats to do it as a tribute to Rose.

As opposed to my HS team, where we would steal a case of beer off the truck at a convenience store and stash the 6 packs outside the concrete wall around our stadium. Then, while warming up someone would 'accidentally' throw a ball over the fence or hit a fungo over so we could take turns going out and chugging 1 or 2 at a time.

Bot 8

Ritchie single.
Ehrhard single. They don’t have time to make a pitching change if needed
Benge fly out to left. Runners move up.
Int walk to Schubart.
Meola 2 run single. Runners to 2nd and 3rd on the throw
Bruegemann k on full count.
Ortiz flys out.

Last call for cincy with seconds to spare. 10-6 osu

Wonder why they decided to intentionally walk Schubart then pitch to our hottest batter?
Didn't get to watch it; just reading through this late...
Ritchie/Erhard were both on (1st & 2nd), Benge's flyout moved them both up.
So now Schubart is up with runners at 2nd & 3rd with 1 out.
I'm assuming Cincy didn't care what batter was up/on deck, they were gonna walk whoever to load the bases and set up a potential DP to get out of the inning without giving up anything else.

You get to the base and make the turn. If the fielders are jacking or there’s an over throw you keep right on going to 2nd
This^^
I would suspect this is product of the team's philosophy on the basepaths...they are second in stolen bases...Pokes kept them honest which was a great hidden stat from the weekend.

This^^
I would suspect this is product of the team's philosophy on the basepaths...they are second in stolen bases...Pokes kept them honest which was a great hidden stat from the weekend.
It puts constant pressure on the other team’s defense. It’s hustle is all it is

You get to the base and make the turn. If the fielders are jacking or there’s an over throw you keep right on going to 2nd
You skipped over the part where I mentioned it was on walks and HBP.

I totally get always hustling on hits, etc.

But they would sprint to first on ball four. Then one guy got hit by pitch, squirmed about a bit and then took of in a hard sprint to first.

But they would sprint to first on ball four. Then one guy got hit by pitch, squirmed about a bit and then took of in a hard sprint to first.
The players were sending a subliminal message they wanted out of Stillwater fast 💨

I just thought...maybe it was due to the curfew timelimit...trying not to waste deadball time in case they needed the extra atbats...they were behind much of yeaterday's game.

I just thought...maybe it was due to the curfew timelimit...trying not to waste deadball time in case they needed the extra atbats...they were behind much of yeaterday's game.
Speed baseball. I like it. Maybe instead of curfew they should just reduce time on pitch clock and time between innings. Speed the whole thing up! 😁

That’s how it works if you use that system. The goal is to catch the pitcher or catcher not doing their job. If there’s an over throw or the pitcher is jacking around with his back to first you can get a free base occasionally. I have seen it mess with a catcher and the throw back to the pitcher starts to get less accurate.

That’s how it works if you use that system. The goal is to catch the pitcher or catcher not doing their job. If there’s an over throw or the pitcher is jacking around with his back to first you can get a free base occasionally. I have seen it mess with a catcher and the throw back to the pitcher starts to get less accurate.
I’ve never seen this happen but I guess what you are saying is take the free base and immediately try to steal?

Either way, they weren’t rounding first, just accelerating to max speed and then slowing down as they got to the bag. Then removing all their batting gear. Didn’t appear to have any motive

I’ve never seen this happen but I guess what you are saying is take the free base and immediately try to steal?

Either way, they weren’t rounding first, just accelerating to max speed and then slowing down as they got to the bag. Then removing all their batting gear. Didn’t appear to have any motive
It’s a little league idea, no doubt

I've seen it before after a HBP, figured it was a "not showing weakness" thing towards the pitcher. As if to say that didn't hurt look at me sprint away just fine.

But after a walk? Yea thats just weird.
Yea we didn’t give up too many walks on Sunday but it seems like a thing the whole team was in on. Maybe actually it was to save time as someone suggested 😂

Back