Abilene Christian Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn’t have one player who could beat their man off the dribble and get to the rim.

Bryce, Wright, Q not Hicklan could blow by their guy. Maybe ACU has some quick dudes but I have to believe 12 of the 14 Big12 schools will be quicker.

Can you imagine what Fku or Houston will do to this team?
It’s sad because they are very high recruits. They obviously have had 0 coaching since they arrived. Daily team usa. Garrison McDonald’s AA. His 4th McDonald’s AA and he has 1 tournament win.

Marsh is serviceable in the post. Should have had 20 tonight. How we don’t have sets where the ball goes to him on the block w motion and screens to get Dow to the his side of the floor and make defenses actually defend is unbelievable.

But we continue to run high ball or dribble handoffs w people that can’t beat their man off the dribble. We also are complete failures at utilizing screens because we allow the on ball defender to squeeze over the top and maintain on ball leverage. This also allows help side to stay connected to their man and doesn’t allow for open 3s.
I would still be pissed but I would take this loss better had he sat Wright and Thompson and put naz brown in to just lob the ball down to marsh or garrison. But he allows it to happen year after year after year. He has no discipline as a coach. He too busy being their friend. He allowed hicklen and Wright to go 1-10 from 3. And combine for 5 points and no rebounds. And Justin McBride was the best player in the exhibition and barely played. We should have crushed them on the glass with our size, but as usual the refuses to play 2 big men. Atrocious coaching.

Last edited:
Number 4 Michigan State lost to James Madison so this will go under the radar at least
Bold of you to assume OSU was on any national person's radar to begin with.

Even I've become so dissociated with basketball I had zero clue we had a Team USA and McDonald's AA on our roster, no idea this was a top ten recruiting class. Wasn't until I saw other games on I thought "oh yea basketball is starting". Then looked on e$pn to see if we were playing, saw the score and thought "oh boy".

Maybe, just maybe they follow suit of what they have in the past, a reverse Ford. Start out looking putrid then pull it together and go on a run in the last half of the season. Unfortunately though, that's likely not going to be enough to get you into the dance when you have stains like last night's loss on your resume.

Bold of you to assume OSU was on any national person's radar to begin with.

Even I've become so dissociated with basketball I had zero clue we had a Team USA and McDonald's AA on our roster, no idea this was a top ten recruiting class. Wasn't until I saw other games on I thought "oh yea basketball is starting". Then looked on e$pn to see if we were playing, saw the score and thought "oh boy".

Maybe, just maybe they follow suit of what they have in the past, a reverse Ford. Start out looking putrid then pull it together and go on a run in the last half of the season. Unfortunately though, that's likely not going to be enough to get you into the dance when you have stains like last night's loss on your resume.
So, you’re not a real fan. Turn in your fan card, dammit.

MB has been coaching for almost 20 years, 6 as HC of OSU with a .435 conference winning percentage. We just lost to ABU who was 14-17 last year. Does anyone honestly believe that BM can turn us into a consistently winning team within the conference? OSU has a huge fan base waiting to be fed with a winning hoops program.

Really hoping at some point in my lifetime I get to witness a run where both programs (football and basketball) are excelling at the same time.

Some of us have been watching OSU basketball since Eddie and can’t watch this crap anymore. After Ford and now Boyton OSU basketball is now a shell of what it once was!
Exactly this. I've followed OSU basketball my whole life, but the last 2 decades it's gotten so bad (along with how the game is played as a whole), that I dont spend any extra time trying to follow it. I'll turn the game on at least in the background, but I'm not watching it closely and reading up before/after it, watching rankings and tourney projections, etc... Now it just is what it is. My time is much better spent elsewhere if it's only gonna bring me disappointment and a sour mood.

Saddest thing is that doesn't appear likely to change soon either. Oh well.

Exactly this. I've followed OSU basketball my whole life, but the last 2 decades it's gotten so bad (along with how the game is played as a whole), that I dont spend any extra time trying to follow it. I'll turn the game on at least in the background, but I'm not watching it closely and reading up before/after it, watching rankings and tourney projections, etc... Now it just is what it is. My time is much better spent elsewhere if it's only gonna bring me disappointment and a sour mood.

Saddest thing is that doesn't appear likely to change soon either. Oh well.
The hardest part is that it doesn't have to be this bad. There are DOZENS of young mid major coaches who coach good basketball (many of them have beat us) that would love to coach at Oklahoma State. Yet here we are in year 7 of...not even mediocrity....but poor play.

The hardest part is that it doesn't have to be this bad. There are DOZENS of young mid major coaches who coach good basketball (many of them have beat us) that would love to coach at Oklahoma State. Yet here we are in year 7 of...not even mediocrity....but poor play.
If these guys were mediocre we would be a perennial tournament team. How many games have we shot sub 55% from the free throw line and sub 20% from 3 and still only lost by 4 or 5 points?

If these guys were mediocre we would be a perennial tournament team. How many games have we shot sub 55% from the free throw line and sub 20% from 3 and still only lost by 4 or 5 points?
My guess would be 5-6 last season alone. We're not watching good basketball by any means, but we should be winning these games even when playing poorly. Many of our missed 3's last night were good looks, coming from good plays. Hit 1-2 more wide open 3's and go 15 / 20 from the line and we win that game (while still playing pretty bad).

Here’s the sad news. If my cipher’n is correct and it very will may not be. After this season we would still owe him like $6,975,000 in buyout. And I think it’s over $3,000,000 the year after that.

I think we have at least this season and next

Here’s the sad news. If my cipher’n is correct and it very will may not be. After this season we would still owe him like $6,975,000 in buyout. And I think it’s over $3,000,000 the year after that.

I think we have at least this season and next
This thread isn’t about the game anymore.

We play 30 games this year. Not going to devolve every game thread into “Fire Boynton, great guy, crappy coach, we’re screwed due to buyout etc.” other places to have that convo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back