Supreme Court decisions

My major problem with LGBTQ+, as you put it, is that they expect (demand) that we not only accept their sin but celebrate it. Name one other sin that we do that for or take "Pride" in. Are we going to have "Adulterers Pride Month" in August? I don't think that being gay or even practicing homosexuality is a bigger sin than any one of the sins that I commit daily . The difference is that I'm convicted of my sin and I repent and confess and ask for forgiveness . I certainly wouldn't expect you to look the other way, or even worse condone, my alcoholism or adultery, just because it makes me uncomfortable. Sin is sin and it is the duty of Christ following churches to call it out not promote it. As far as churches not accepting gays I will tell you that I go to church with a congregation completely full of sinners every single Sunday. No person ever has been or ever will be turned away regardless of their sin. Will we tell them that their particular sin is ok? Absolutely not. Make sense?
Ok, so since you deem homosexuality as a sin, and they do not confess their sins, (even though they don't see it as sin...and some are even Christians - gasp) then you are upset (notice I used a mild term) with them...got it...
question: (although I don't know your personal life) if your own child or grandchild told you they were gay, how would you respond? acceptance and love? pray for them to see their 'sins'? disown them? just curious...

Ok, so since you deem homosexuality as a sin, and they do not confess their sins, (even though they don't see it as sin...and some are even Christians - gasp) then you are upset (notice I used a mild term) with them...got it...
question: (although I don't know your personal life) if your own child or grandchild told you they were gay, how would you respond? acceptance and love? pray for them to see their 'sins'? disown them? just curious...
More interesting question is would he go to a wedding of his gay child or grandchild to someone of the same sex?

Would he "celebrate" a gay wedding of someone he supposedly loves, but hates their sin.

and BTW, we celebrate Pride to show others who might be struggling, that it is OK, and you are accepted, and you are a beautiful person...also to call attention for greater unity, visibility and equality for the LGBTQ+ community...if anyone was wondering why we have to have a Pride Month...

and BTW, we celebrate Pride to show others who might be struggling, that it is OK, and you are accepted, and you are a beautiful person...also to call attention for greater unity, visibility and equality for the LGBTQ+ community...if anyone was wondering why we have to have a Pride Month...
No no no if you talk about a sun they don’t like then you are pushing an agenda and grooming.

That's actually a fair and great question. The same way I would if they came to me and said that they were cheating on their spouse or stealing from their employer. First of all they would know that my love is unconditional. We're all sinners and I think I've been pretty clear that I don't consider homosexuality any worse than any other sin. After I made clear to them that I absolutely love them I would attempt to explain to them in a loving way that I can't support their sin any more than I could support any other sin. That would be followed by a loving discussion about what the scripture says and the fact that practicing that lifestyle is not only sinful but dangerous and that I will be in continuous prayer for them. The very most important part of the conversation would be about how much I love them. I actually have several gay relatives and one gay employee and I love all of them. I just don't condone their sin and I don't think that I would be doing them any favors if I told them that I thought it was ok. Thanks for the question, I know that you've delt with this on a personal level in your own way.

That's actually a fair and great question. The same way I would if they came to me and said that they were cheating on their spouse or stealing from their employer. First of all they would know that my love is unconditional. We're all sinners and I think I've been pretty clear that I don't consider homosexuality any worse than any other sin. After I made clear to them that I absolutely love them I would attempt to explain to them in a loving way that I can't support their sin any more than I could support any other sin. That would be followed by a loving discussion about what the scripture says and the fact that practicing that lifestyle is not only sinful but dangerous and that I will be in continuous prayer for them. The very most important part of the conversation would be about how much I love them. I actually have several gay relatives and one gay employee and I love all of them. I just don't condone their sin and I don't think that I would be doing them any favors if I told them that I thought it was ok. Thanks for the question, I know that you've delt with this on a personal level in your own way.
Would you go to your gay relative or employee’s gay wedding?

Simple yes or no answer will suffice.

thanks for the honest reply...I can see where you would probably "lose" them by taking that approach, because again, they would not see it as sinning and no amount of bible verses would change that (we've already been over interpretations, so I'll leave it alone and say that I, and many others do NOT see this as sin). My daughter has nothing to do with relatives, some of which were extremely close to her, because they cannot accept her and her 'lifestyle'...they also see it as sinning (as you do) and tell her they love her. Some continue to say, but mostly share negative things (via social media) about the evils of the LGBTQ+ community. It honestly hurts my heart to hear of people who are unaccepting of a person simply because of their choice (and I say choice but know that they are not choosing) of a life partner, or a choice of gender...

Would you go to your gay relative or employee’s gay wedding?

Simple yes or no answer will suffice.
Yes or no? I honestly don’t know. That decision would probably be made after an honest discussion with the person and then privately with my wife.

Yes or no? I honestly don’t know. That decision would probably be made after an honest discussion with the person and then privately with my wife.
Real talk…..that doesn’t sound like unconditional love to me. And I doubt it would sound like unconditional love to the gay person that asked you to share in their celebration of finding the love of their life.

Real talk…..that doesn’t sound like unconditional love to me. And I doubt it would sound like unconditional love to the gay person that asked you to share in their celebration of finding the love of their life.
I am overwhelmed by your concern over my response to a hypothetical question. I will try and manage to go on with my weekend.

So the reverse question really is do you guys go to the funeral for family in a conservative evangelical church with the off chance that you might be proselytized?

Better yet do you take your young child or children who may be proselytized or outraged at the message that will be heavy on repenting of your sins?

Do you stick around for the funeral meal and be kind to everyone or do you make a spectacle and tell the preacher off due to how outraged you are?

Are you respectful to your church going family in their time of grief or will you tell them about their backwardness?

If it’s an aunt, uncle, or grandparent do you demand your gay child attend and show tolerance?

I’ve seen this in action in my own family and I hope you are more impressive than they were/are.

So the reverse question really is do you guys go to the funeral for family in a conservative evangelical church with the off chance that you might be proselytized?

I absolutely go. Without question, I’ve done it many times in the past and will undoubtedly do so again.
Better yet do you take your young child or children who may be proselytized or outraged at the message that will be heavy on repenting of your sins?
If they knew the person and wanted to go, they are going. And if they go, they will be civil and respectful. I’m not going to make them go if they don’t feel comfortable going.
Do you stick around for the funeral meal and be kind to everyone or do you make a spectacle and tell the preacher off due to how outraged you are?
I try to do whatever gives those that are grieving the most comfort.
Are you respectful to your church going family in their time of grief or will you tell them about their backwardness?
Again, respectful, civil, and try to give comfort.
If it’s an aunt, uncle, or grandparent do you demand your gay child attend and show tolerance?

I’ve actually had to deal with this is with my daughter who is out and proud and my mother-in-law that is very homophobic. I don’t demand that she interact with her grandmother or go to her funeral when she dies. All my children were raised to be respectful and civil to their elders even in the face of hateful statements. Not that they have to take it, but that any attempts to educate or inform them about how what they are doing affects them must be civil and respectful.

My gay daughter actually has a pretty good relationship with her grandmother at this point. There was some tense, hurtful times in their relationship, but now Grandmother honestly tries to not make homophobic statements or use slurs while my daughter is around and my daughter is pretty understanding that her grandmother has developed dementia which might lead to her doing it more often as it progresses. My daughter has decided to forgive and forget and try her best to make these final years peaceful and placid for her grandmother.
I’ve seen this in action in my own family and I hope you are more impressive than they were/are.

Sound like those family members were horrible human beings to me.

Last edited:
I absolutely go. Without question, I’ve done it many times in the past and will undoubtedly do so again.

If they knew the person and wanted to go, they are going. And if they go, they will be civil and respectful. I’m not going to make them go if they don’t feel comfortable going.

I try to do whatever gives those that are grieving the most comfort.

Again, respectful, civil, and try to give comfort.

I’ve actually had to deal with this is with my daughter who is out and proud and my mother-in-law that is very homophobic. I don’t demand that she interact with her grandmother or go to her funeral when she dies. All my children were raised to be respectful and civil to their elders even in the face of hateful statements. Not that they have to take it, but that any attempts to educate or inform them about how what they are doing affects them must be civil and respectful.

Sound like those family members were horrible human beings to me.
Not horrible, disappointing would be a more apt description.

It’s the Middle School Principal and Sunday School teacher coming out. Very few people are patently evil or disgusting

30+ years my line of work, I‘ve seen quite a few people I truly believe are patently evil.

So, I guess we’ll just agree to disagree on this one.

30+ years my line of work, I‘ve seen quite a few people I truly believe are patently evil.

So, I guess we’ll just agree to disagree on this one.
Don’t get me wrong I’ve dealt with evil. There is no doubt you are correct. I’ve dealt with pedophiles, child abusers, embezzlers etc…. Evil definitely exists.

If the proselytizing was repenting of 'homosexuality' or saying it is bad, 100% I would walk out, or if knowing beforehand, I would slip out of the service part early...I would not go to a church/service/whatever knowing that they preach against the LGBTQ+ community...wait, why would this be at a funeral? Saying you may not see the Pearly Gates if gay?! I'm a little confused....but, yeah, I would leave! But people who know me and my family would understand...this has become a very touchy topic for me personally! How about if we lived in a 'reverse' world where your (and mine) lifestyle were criticized and labeled as sin? But you knew in your heart it wasn't a sin...so many questions and scenarios...
To me, this is totally different from a preacher talking about sins of adultery, divorce, stealing, etc. This is a lifestyle for people, and they (me included) don't feel it is wrong, even though our world constantly tells us it is!

My gay daughter actually has a pretty good relationship with her grandmother at this point. There was some tense, hurtful times in their relationship, but now Grandmother honestly tries to not make homophobic statements or use slurs while my daughter is around and my daughter is pretty understanding that her grandmother has developed dementia which might lead to her doing it more often as it progresses. My daughter has decided to forgive and forget and try her best to make these final years peaceful and placid for her grandmother.
Both of my daughters grandmothers have 'shared' things on social media (facebook) that are negative towards the LGBTQ+ community, and the wonderful relationship she had with her grandmothers in strained/ruined at the moment...and I totally stand behind/with my daughter on this!! It's sad, hurtful, and confusing!

Back