Reminiscing on Barry Sanders

New_to_OKC

Has a RB ever had a season like Barry did in 1988? He probably would have had 3,000+ yards rushing & 40+ YD'S with todays' lengthy schedules!

He was used little as a freshman, had a decent sophomore year and then CLOCKED OUT in his junior season! Talk about development!

Full disclosure. I'm a life-long Ohio State fan. In 1988 we went 4-6-1. We were AWFUL. I praised GOD that Barry went pro because I feared that Barry would have gained 400+ yards on our joke of a "defense" in our 1989 matchup.

For you older gents like me, did any of you see anything from Barry in his first two years that made you think he was really special? He sure was a joy to watch! He routinely made NFL pros look like clowns, which they weren't. It's just that Barry was so good! He's the GOAT RB in the history of the game.

On a final note, I've always enjoyed Mike Gundy. He's a damn good coach.

Has a RB ever had a season like Barry did in 1988? He probably would have had 3,000+ yards rushing & 40+ YD'S with todays' lengthy schedules!

He was used little as a freshman, had a decent sophomore year and then CLOCKED OUT in his junior season! Talk about development!

Full disclosure. I'm a life-long Ohio State fan. In 1988 we went 4-6-1. We were AWFUL. I praised GOD that Barry went pro because I feared that Barry would have gained 400+ yards on our joke of a "defense" in our 1989 matchup.

For you older gents like me, did any of you see anything from Barry in his first two years that made you think he was really special? He sure was a joy to watch! He routinely made NFL pros look like clowns, which they weren't. It's just that Barry was so good! He's the GOAT RB in the history of the game.

I remember during his sophomore year when Thurman Thomas was our starter that I wondered how we would be the following year after Thurman left. I saw enough of Barry on kickoff and punt returns to know that we would be okay. I had no clue as to how “okay” we would be. He was exceptional. I have seen a few players who reminded me of Barry occasionally but none who could bring it every game.

I remember during his sophomore year when Thurman Thomas was our starter that I wondered how we would be the following year after Thurman left. I saw enough of Barry on kickoff and punt returns to know that we would be okay. I had no clue as to how “okay” we would be. He was exceptional. I have seen a few players who reminded me of Barry occasionally but none who could bring it every game.

And in the week leading up to the 1987 Bedlam game Barry Switzer reportedly told his ou team: Whatever you do, don't injure Thurman Thomas - number 21 is even better!

Also, a story I have told on here before: I was attending one of the early home games in '87 with a nephew. Before the opening kickoff my nephew says "Watch #21, he's incredible." Sanders receives the kick and returns it out to around the 40 yard line, covering about 150 yards to do so, in classic Barry Sanders style and as only he could do. I turned to my nephew and said "he'll never make it. He spends too much time juking around; he needs to learn to make a cut and get up field."

Worst scouting job ever.

He would have had more than that if he would’ve played a full game. He only played 2 full games

Wilham had overflow from Bennet (can’t remember for sure that was the football dorm name) and several players of the defensive line lived on the 4th floor. Backups mainly. Roommate was 3rd string kicker.

Anyway, screwing around on the floor, I ran into Barry literally, bounced me right to the floor. Height wise we were the same, that’s all we had in common.

With his right arm, he scoops me up by the waist and holds me like the ball and starts running down the hall through the defense. Had no idea that was him or who he was. But damn, I was impressed. No bouncer had been able to pull it off.

I think people got the first glimpse during his sophomore year when we had Nebraska visiting in what was a huge game at the time. We hadn’t beaten them in forever, so we thought this was our great chance.

It was never a game. They held Thurman to like 9 yards on 7 carries & beat us 35-0. The bright spot was Barry got a good amount of carries & was just untackleable.

Those were the days when I’d sit through every single play of a game-even blowouts, so I remember leaving the game thinking’we’re gonna be okay after Thurman leaves.’

Back