Reminiscing on Barry Sanders

New_to_OKC

Has a RB ever had a season like Barry did in 1988? He probably would have had 3,000+ yards rushing & 40+ YD'S with todays' lengthy schedules!

He was used little as a freshman, had a decent sophomore year and then CLOCKED OUT in his junior season! Talk about development!

Full disclosure. I'm a life-long Ohio State fan. In 1988 we went 4-6-1. We were AWFUL. I praised GOD that Barry went pro because I feared that Barry would have gained 400+ yards on our joke of a "defense" in our 1989 matchup.

For you older gents like me, did any of you see anything from Barry in his first two years that made you think he was really special? He sure was a joy to watch! He routinely made NFL pros look like clowns, which they weren't. It's just that Barry was so good! He's the GOAT RB in the history of the game.

On a final note, I've always enjoyed Mike Gundy. He's a damn good coach.

Has a RB ever had a season like Barry did in 1988? He probably would have had 3,000+ yards rushing & 40+ YD'S with todays' lengthy schedules!

He was used little as a freshman, had a decent sophomore year and then CLOCKED OUT in his junior season! Talk about development!

Full disclosure. I'm a life-long Ohio State fan. In 1988 we went 4-6-1. We were AWFUL. I praised GOD that Barry went pro because I feared that Barry would have gained 400+ yards on our joke of a "defense" in our 1989 matchup.

For you older gents like me, did any of you see anything from Barry in his first two years that made you think he was really special? He sure was a joy to watch! He routinely made NFL pros look like clowns, which they weren't. It's just that Barry was so good! He's the GOAT RB in the history of the game.

I remember during his sophomore year when Thurman Thomas was our starter that I wondered how we would be the following year after Thurman left. I saw enough of Barry on kickoff and punt returns to know that we would be okay. I had no clue as to how “okay” we would be. He was exceptional. I have seen a few players who reminded me of Barry occasionally but none who could bring it every game.

I remember during his sophomore year when Thurman Thomas was our starter that I wondered how we would be the following year after Thurman left. I saw enough of Barry on kickoff and punt returns to know that we would be okay. I had no clue as to how “okay” we would be. He was exceptional. I have seen a few players who reminded me of Barry occasionally but none who could bring it every game.

And in the week leading up to the 1987 Bedlam game Barry Switzer reportedly told his ou team: Whatever you do, don't injure Thurman Thomas - number 21 is even better!

Also, a story I have told on here before: I was attending one of the early home games in '87 with a nephew. Before the opening kickoff my nephew says "Watch #21, he's incredible." Sanders receives the kick and returns it out to around the 40 yard line, covering about 150 yards to do so, in classic Barry Sanders style and as only he could do. I turned to my nephew and said "he'll never make it. He spends too much time juking around; he needs to learn to make a cut and get up field."

Worst scouting job ever.

He would have had more than that if he would’ve played a full game. He only played 2 full games

Wilham had overflow from Bennet (can’t remember for sure that was the football dorm name) and several players of the defensive line lived on the 4th floor. Backups mainly. Roommate was 3rd string kicker.

Anyway, screwing around on the floor, I ran into Barry literally, bounced me right to the floor. Height wise we were the same, that’s all we had in common.

With his right arm, he scoops me up by the waist and holds me like the ball and starts running down the hall through the defense. Had no idea that was him or who he was. But damn, I was impressed. No bouncer had been able to pull it off.

I think people got the first glimpse during his sophomore year when we had Nebraska visiting in what was a huge game at the time. We hadn’t beaten them in forever, so we thought this was our great chance.

It was never a game. They held Thurman to like 9 yards on 7 carries & beat us 35-0. The bright spot was Barry got a good amount of carries & was just untackleable.

Those were the days when I’d sit through every single play of a game-even blowouts, so I remember leaving the game thinking’we’re gonna be okay after Thurman leaves.’

Been to many years ago, but was at a game either his fr or soph season and he came in for some clean up time and made a 10-15 yard run as only he could, turning a 2-yard loss into that game. Turned to my brother-in-law and said that if he stays healthy, he could be the greatest back ever at OSU. I guessed right!

If he had played in every game his Jr year and not retired early in the NFL he would have set single season in college, and career rushing records in the NFL so high, no one would have ever approached them. No one has in college and Emmitt Smith would be just one of Dallas's great backs.

Like DXCowboy pointed out, The Nebraska vs OSU game in 1987! Thurman Thomas had a miserable game with like 10 yards rushing and we got smacked 35-0! However in the third and fourth quarter when Pat Jones put Barry in he averaged in the neighborhood of 8 yards a carry and the Nebraska defense had a Hell of a time tackling him!

My freshman year at OSU was his Heisman year. In college I thought he exhibited his talent most on kick returns. Teams rarely were able to get a hit on him and on the rare occasion when they were able to square up on him his balance was so elite he just bounced off and kept going.

His balance and ability to avoid being hit were his biggest assets as a running back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My freshman year at OSU was his Heisman year. In college I thought he exhibited his talent most on kick returns. Teams rarely were able to get a hit on him and on the rare occasion when they were able to square up on him his balance was so elite he just bounced off and kept going.

His balance and ability to avoid being hit were his biggest assets as a running back.

Man, those kick returns were electric! I completely agree, his balance and elusiveness were unmatched. He had this uncanny ability to make defenders miss or bounce off tackles. It was like he had a sixth sense for avoiding big hits. Those traits definitely translated to his success as a running back. What a legendary player!

I think if he had stayed out of trouble and developed properly. Prentiss Elliot could have been about as good. He was electric in what little we got to see of him.

Gundy has said other than Barry, Elliot had the most talent of anyone he's ever seen.

Barry was just freaking electric! While other runningbacks didn't want to be tackled, Barry didn't want to be touched. Not only did it look like he was a man playing a boy's game, but the dude also exuded class and humbleness like no one else.

I remember one of his NFL games against Tampa Bay. He had two touchdown runs of 80 yards or more. Guys were missing right and left. He made one guy spin in a complete 360, and when he went to tackle Barry, he wasn't there. Barry had cut back to the other side. The guy completely whiffed. Then Barry hands the ball to the referee. No look at me BS, no self-aggrandizing words or actions.

Compare that to his contemporaries like Jerome Bettis, who in one game, on third down carries the ball for 3 yards, gets up and does his patented herky-jerky Bus dance. Then he runs off the field as the punt team comes on, because he didn't get the first down and he's dancing like he done did something. But Barry makes people look like they never played the game before, and he acted with extreme class. He let his on the field play speak for him. He didn't need to say a word about how good he was. You can celebrate when you've actually done something. Barry could have celebrated many a time, and that would have been great.

If you have to tell people how great you are, you ain't great. Thanks for listening to my rant. Barry is my favorite all-time player in any sport.

I think if he had stayed out of trouble and developed properly. Prentiss Elliot could have been about as good. He was electric in what little we got to see of him.

I remember watching Elliot return kick offs and thinking, this is the closest thing I have seen to Barry at OSU. Not saying he was as good as the legend but he was close.

I remember watching Elliot return kick offs and thinking, this is the closest thing I have seen to Barry at OSU. Not saying he was as good as the legend but he was close.

How many player have stats this good in their first season?
IMG_9653.jpeg

But yet patsy couldn’t find a way to play him more
Please.

Thurman is an NFL & College HOF player. People apparently forget just how good he was. That’s crap, they’re both great players, Barry was just two years behind one of the best backs in CFP at the time.

Would you like to talk about Gundy & Tyreek Hill too?

Back