Oklahoma is going backwards

Oklahoma ranks number 3 for low paying jobs. This happens after 10 long years of Republican rule and their poor support for education. Probably if reflects many manufacturing jobs have vanished and not replaced with enough high-tech jobs to make up for it.

Meanwhile, it was amazing how Oklahoma had activists that were determined to work for years to get medical marijuana legalized but it wasn't until this year a serious petition came out to raise the minimum wage. Apparently enough signatures were gathered for it. Now it will be interesting to see how long Republicans will try to delay getting it to the ballot, like they did on med marijuana and later rec marijuana. I assume for now the Republican strategy is to prolong finalizing the signature count, so it can't be on the Nov. ballot.

I'd pay double the fee for orange
Hopefully, in a few years it will be OSU's turn as it was before:

1968oktag.jpg

Instead of cleaning up orphaned and shut down wells oil and gas companies are asking for their portion of the cleanup funds back. Thus leaving unused potentially leaking wells on otherwise usable land. Who would have guessed billio dollar companies would care more about money than people and environment.

Tulips Public Schools has announced they have such a severe teacher shortage that they will be hiring unlicensed without a 4 yr degree. Think about that. The 2nd largest city in our state. One of the 50 largest metro areas in the US. Home to Philbrook and Gilcrease museums. Gathering Place is one of the best urban parks in the world. University of Tulsa. As well as satellite campuses for OSU and NSU. One of the best community colleges and free tuition programs in the country.

How does anyone think Walters and Rs at the state capitol are working for Oklahoma? You can lower taxes to 0 and no enterprising business will relocate to Oklahoma for f your educational system is in the outhouse. If you can’t get new business your tax base erodes. Tax base gone education suffers. Education suffers no new business. And so on we go.

Since the state isn't interested in doing anything much constructive for education, I wish billionaires would do a lot more to help the state and Tulsa, since they can't take their many millions with them when they die. Making the Gathering Place Park was very nice, but obviously doesn't attract teachers. But for all we know the state's billionaires as well as millionaires are far more interested in giving their money to the Republicans.

I wonder if private schools are having trouble finding enough teachers. They sure might be if they don't pay teachers as much as public ones.

The cynic in me tells be that Oklahoma is more likely to attract a far-right Christian cult like the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka to move to Oklahoma, rather than a high-tech firm that wants to provide good paying jobs.

Since the state isn't interested in doing anything much constructive for education, I wish billionaires would do a lot more to help the state and Tulsa, since they can't take their many millions with them when they die. Making the Gathering Place Park was very nice, but obviously doesn't attract teachers. But for all we know the state's billionaires as well as millionaires are far more interested in giving their money to the Republicans.

I wonder if private schools are having trouble finding enough teachers. They sure might be if they don't pay teachers as much as public ones.

The cynic in me tells be that Oklahoma is more likely to attract a far-right Christian cult like the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka to move to Oklahoma, rather than a high-tech firm that wants to provide good paying jobs.
Millionaires used to build libraries, theaters and schools to help the community. Now they hoard all their wealth or buy a 15th mansion and jet.

Millionaires used to build libraries, theaters and schools to help the community. Now they hoard all their wealth or buy a 15th mansion and jet.

Appears charity has actually increased…and dramatically.

From the link below: “After adjusting for inflation, charitable giving by Americans was close to seven times as big in 2016 as it was 62 years earlier. Of course, one reason total giving went up is because the US population almost doubled. But if we recalculate inflation adjusted charitable giving on a per capita basis, we see that has also soared by 3.5 times”

It also shows Oklahoma as the 8th most charitable state. 1) Utah; 2) Mississippi; 3) Alabama; 4) Tennessee; 5) Georgia; 6) South Carolina, 7) Idaho; 8) Oklahoma

Other fun facts: OKC ranks 7th as most charitable city. And the Tulsa Community Foundation has the 8th highest assets of any community foundation

Appears charity has actually increased…and dramatically.

From the link below: “After adjusting for inflation, charitable giving by Americans was close to seven times as big in 2016 as it was 62 years earlier. Of course, one reason total giving went up is because the US population almost doubled. But if we recalculate inflation adjusted charitable giving on a per capita basis, we see that has also soared by 3.5 times”

It also shows Oklahoma as the 8th most charitable state. 1) Utah; 2) Mississippi; 3) Alabama; 4) Tennessee; 5) Georgia; 6) South Carolina, 7) Idaho; 8) Oklahoma

Other fun facts: OKC ranks 7th as most charitable city. And the Tulsa Community Foundation has the 8th highest assets of any community foundation

It's probably just an impression of mine but this was what I was thinking when I made my statement.

Carnegie funded the building of 2,509 "Carnegie Libraries" worldwide between 1883 and 1929. Of those, 1,795 were in the United States: 1,687 public libraries and 108 academic.

Vanderbilt provided the initial $1 million endowment to start the university in 1873.

Pretty sure there was someone else that I can't think of that funded a bunch of theaters across the country. These were all late 1800s big civil donation projects by the wealthiest handful of people in the country that helped the community. That I dont think you don't see as much, but again I am probably wrong. For example Bill Gates does huge amounts of work there, Bexos ex-wife does a lot too. Needed to think more before typing.

The 2 most well known billionaires in Tulsa are heavily invested in education. One of them prefers to stay in the background but make no mistake they are heavily invested in public education.

The other is behind the group recruiting and paying professionals to relocate to Tulsa and is also behind the TCC program.

It's probably just an impression of mine but this was what I was thinking when I made my statement.

Carnegie funded the building of 2,509 "Carnegie Libraries" worldwide between 1883 and 1929. Of those, 1,795 were in the United States: 1,687 public libraries and 108 academic.

Vanderbilt provided the initial $1 million endowment to start the university in 1873.

Pretty sure there was someone else that I can't think of that funded a bunch of theaters across the country. These were all late 1800s big civil donation projects by the wealthiest handful of people in the country that helped the community. That I dont think you don't see as much, but again I am probably wrong. For example Bill Gates does huge amounts of work there, Bexos ex-wife does a lot too. Needed to think more before typing.
From his link it says that charitable giving levels out at about 2-3% of income.

Certain not much of an impact on your life to give 2-3% of millions or billions instead of 2-3% of the money that you need.

My guess would be that the increase in charitable giving has been fed by increased giving at more income levels with the internet/gofundme etc making it far easier to give.

At least that is not 100% true. A number of much needed new OSU buildings were made possible by donations of wealthy OSU alumni ever since Pickens gave some of his millions to expand an old stadium with his name now on it. He had already started giving millions to OSU before the stadium.

At least that is not 100% true. A number of much needed new OSU buildings were made possible by donations of wealthy OSU alumni ever since Pickens gave some of his millions to expand an old stadium with his name now on it. He had already started giving millions to OSU before the stadium.
Like I said later after more thought. I was probably wrong.

Back