Gaetz Will Try To Oust McCarthy As Speaker This Week For Averting Government Shutdown

I’ll bite. So, this will help the economy?
They’ve only passed a budget on time 4 times in the last 40 years. If they don’t get it done this time there will be plenty of blame to go around on both sides. And yes, finally getting a speaker in place will help the economy. I don’t know a thing about this guy but markets don’t like uncertainty. If and when this house of cards comes crashing down it won’t be this guy’s fault.

They’ve only passed a budget on time 4 times in the last 40 years. If they don’t get it done this time there will be plenty of blame to go around on both sides. And yes, finally getting a speaker in place will help the economy. I don’t know a thing about this guy but markets don’t like uncertainty. If and when this house of cards comes crashing down it won’t be this guy’s fault.

I guess we'll circle back on this in 3 weeks and see.

He’s Jim Jordan with a jacket and glasses. No light blue shirts and yellow ties, but other than that they’re clones. IMO putting someone in charge who voted to overturn an election is extremely dangerous. Market reaction who knows. Still think the 14th amendment Section 3 should apply to the 147 Congress critters who voted to overturn a legitimate election. Alas, one’s now second in line to the Presidency. Better increase Secret Service numbers to protect Biden and Harris from the domestic terrorist, and MAGAites.

At this point they need to get over themselves and do their damn job. If they don’t pass that Farm Bill by 2024 it’s going to get serious

At this point they need to get over themselves and do their damn job. If they don’t pass that Farm Bill by 2024 it’s going to get serious
Sounds like you desire to stay on that government sugar nipple. Where’s that stand on your own feet, lift yourself up by the bootstraps attitude? Just kidding really. I go to far. Admire a farmers faith.

Last edited:
Sounds like you desire to stay on that government sugar nipple. Where’s that stand on your own feet, lift yourself up by the bootstraps attitude?
Do you not realize the farm bill controls school lunches, meals on wheels, WIC, etc….? No Farm Bill and those services go back to 1930 levels.
Yes I do buy crop insurance, the farm subsidies are nothing like they were or like people believe them to be

Do you not realize the farm bill controls school lunches, meals on wheels, WIC, etc….? No Farm Bill and those services go back to 1930 levels.
Yes I do buy crop insurance, the farm subsidies are nothing like they were or like people believe them to be
I'm an outsider to this and only know what I read in the papers. But, there are often articles that the majority of the subsidies go to large farm operations that have owners with incomes well over $500K which is pretty frustrating for the taxpayer if true. Are you saying that congress has fixed that stuff?

I'm an outsider to this and only know what I read in the papers. But, there are often articles that the majority of the subsidies go to large farm operations that have owners with incomes well over $500K which is pretty frustrating for the taxpayer if true. Are you saying that congress has fixed that stuff?

Here ya go.

The issue is everyone thinks of farms like they were from the 1950’s to the late 1970’s. We have to farm lots of ground and buy lots of equipment. If you look at the gross most farms bring in it will be over $500K, but once you adjust to net for taxes, expenses and depreciation the numbers fall down into the $100k to $300k range. It’s a cash intense business.

You don’t get much help from pure subsidies after you cross $900k, but that will normally be an S Corp or at the outside an LLC. It’s a complex business model, especially if you have multiple siblings or multi generations incorporated together.
Once you get into ‘absentee’ owners is when your question and Pokey’s point about the gov’t nipple becomes embarrassingly accurate.

The next evolution in the actual farm part of the farm bill will probably include something to pay for the actual people working the farm and managing the farm. There are lots of farms around me that are a sibling and their family doing the actual farming and making the new investments while the other siblings get to declare themselves farmers and are able to avail themselves of gov’t money without investing time or new money in the operation; they just want their money.

The new evolution is to force the gov’t money towards the people doing the actual work. I really don’t like agreeing with gov’t telling us how we have to do business but the new way Congress is looking at this is not a bad way to look at it. It will get rid of fraud. Just give us an equitable crop insurance program and most of us can make it work.

The majority of the farm bill is in the food programs, conservation programs, etc… they will work the other stuff out. What’s funny is we started seeing means testing under Obama and it has intensified under Trump and Biden.

Sorry, that’s a complicated issue I didn’t mean to type so much.

Nevertheless, I suspect Johnson has already pissed off the far Christian Right. He told Hannity that gay marriage won't be a priorty because he respects Supreme Court decisions. So, neither will abortion be a big priority from him being very happy that Roe v. Wade was overturned. Johnson thinks there are more important issues to concern Congress with.

I wonder if he disagrees with the far Christian Right who feel that Israel is now subject to God's wrath from it being pro-abortion and pro LGBQT rights.

There are surely parts of the Bible Johnson disagrees with such as the story where a man was only fined, rather than charged with murder, for causing a woman to have an abortion.

Last edited:
The issue is everyone thinks of farms like they were from the 1950’s to the late 1970’s. We have to farm lots of ground and buy lots of equipment. If you look at the gross most farms bring in it will be over $500K, but once you adjust to net for taxes, expenses and depreciation the numbers fall down into the $100k to $300k range. It’s a cash intense business.

You don’t get much help from pure subsidies after you cross $900k, but that will normally be an S Corp or at the outside an LLC. It’s a complex business model, especially if you have multiple siblings or multi generations incorporated together.
Once you get into ‘absentee’ owners is when your question and Pokey’s point about the gov’t nipple becomes embarrassingly accurate.

The next evolution in the actual farm part of the farm bill will probably include something to pay for the actual people working the farm and managing the farm. There are lots of farms around me that are a sibling and their family doing the actual farming and making the new investments while the other siblings get to declare themselves farmers and are able to avail themselves of gov’t money without investing time or new money in the operation; they just want their money.

The new evolution is to force the gov’t money towards the people doing the actual work. I really don’t like agreeing with gov’t telling us how we have to do business but the new way Congress is looking at this is not a bad way to look at it. It will get rid of fraud. Just give us an equitable crop insurance program and most of us can make it work.

The majority of the farm bill is in the food programs, conservation programs, etc… they will work the other stuff out. What’s funny is we started seeing means testing under Obama and it has intensified under Trump and Biden.

Sorry, that’s a complicated issue I didn’t mean to type so much.
Thanks for the detailed and well balanced reply. As I said, usually on subjects like this what you read either tries to wrap it in patriotism and tell you how critical it is or denigrates it and says that the whole farm bill is a travesty. The truth is usually in the middle.

As a dual citizen, I often compare things in the two countries. I found this written by the Australian government comparing the two. It is a couple of years old, but was interesting. This section was most applicable to this subject:

Agricultural policy in the United States is determined by the Agricultural Improvement Act, commonly known as the farm bill. The farm bill is typically in place for 5 years and sets the budget for US agricultural policy over that period. In December 2018 President Trump signed off on the 2018 farm bill.

The 2018 farm bill has a budget of US$428 billion for the 2018–2023 period, an increase of US$2 billion from the previous farm bill. The 2018 farm bill largely continues programs implemented in the 2014 farm bill.

The largest budgeted component of the farm bill is nutrition programs. Around 76% of total expenditures are projected for domestic food assistance programs. This is commonly known as the food stamps program and helps disadvantaged people afford food. However, there is no requirement for the government to purchase domestically produced food.

Other major programs are crop insurance (accounting for 9%), commodities (7%) and conservation programs (7%). These programs provide farmers with various forms of support or payments for environmental stewardship and are implemented in a way so as not to affect production decisions.

OECD producer support estimates show that US producer support was around 10% of gross farm receipts over 2016 to 2018, this compares with 2% in Australia. The OECD average was 18.5%.
1698500267701.png

A few thoughts:
1. I didn't know that the huge majority of the farm bill was nutrition programs. Almost seems like the bill should have a different name.
2. Government support in the US is 10% of production compared to only 2% for Australia. But, both are well below average at 18.5%.
3. Crop Insurance in Australia appears to be all or nearly all private market. I wonder why that is a government program here?
4. Australian beef is mostly grass finished compared to here. I wonder why that is different, too?

Thanks for the detailed and well balanced reply. As I said, usually on subjects like this what you read either tries to wrap it in patriotism and tell you how critical it is or denigrates it and says that the whole farm bill is a travesty. The truth is usually in the middle.

As a dual citizen, I often compare things in the two countries. I found this written by the Australian government comparing the two. It is a couple of years old, but was interesting. This section was most applicable to this subject:

Agricultural policy in the United States is determined by the Agricultural Improvement Act, commonly known as the farm bill. The farm bill is typically in place for 5 years and sets the budget for US agricultural policy over that period. In December 2018 President Trump signed off on the 2018 farm bill.

The 2018 farm bill has a budget of US$428 billion for the 2018–2023 period, an increase of US$2 billion from the previous farm bill. The 2018 farm bill largely continues programs implemented in the 2014 farm bill.

The largest budgeted component of the farm bill is nutrition programs. Around 76% of total expenditures are projected for domestic food assistance programs. This is commonly known as the food stamps program and helps disadvantaged people afford food. However, there is no requirement for the government to purchase domestically produced food.

Other major programs are crop insurance (accounting for 9%), commodities (7%) and conservation programs (7%). These programs provide farmers with various forms of support or payments for environmental stewardship and are implemented in a way so as not to affect production decisions.

OECD producer support estimates show that US producer support was around 10% of gross farm receipts over 2016 to 2018, this compares with 2% in Australia. The OECD average was 18.5%.
View attachment 1946

A few thoughts:
1. I didn't know that the huge majority of the farm bill was nutrition programs. Almost seems like the bill should have a different name.
2. Government support in the US is 10% of production compared to only 2% for Australia. But, both are well below average at 18.5%.
3. Crop Insurance in Australia appears to be all or nearly all private market. I wonder why that is a government program here?
4. Australian beef is mostly grass finished compared to here. I wonder why that is different, too?
The US crop insurance is a public/private undertaking. The government underwrites part of the cost. We go through agents. If they did health insurance like this the model would be better.

Australia doesn’t raise near as much corn. Remember grass fed can be fed grains from grasses for a short period of time and still be grass fed

The US crop insurance is a public/private undertaking. The government underwrites part of the cost. We go through agents. If they did health insurance like this the model would be better.

Australia doesn’t raise near as much corn. Remember grass fed can be fed grains from grasses for a short period of time and still be grass fed
I think buying health insurance from some guy selling fake Rolexes from inside his trenchcoat would be better than our current model but I get your point.

I do find it interesting that many conservatives are very anti-government and want the government to leave them alone but are quite supportive and at times even dependent on certain government programs. I'm not saying you personally and am generalizing, but the theme is out there.

I have a relative who's husband retired from Tinker under CSRS and they live off of his retirement income. I will retire under FERS which will make my retirement plan signficantly (~50%) lower than his. Yet, she whines about taxes, supports taking away holidays for federal workers, and wants the current federal retirement plan to go away. Anti-govenrment, now that the government supports her lifestyle.

Last edited:

That might be legally true but I know a lot of grass finished producers that would vehemently disagree with that.

Back