Gaetz Will Try To Oust McCarthy As Speaker This Week For Averting Government Shutdown

Tired of false equivalencies. The squad ain’t holding up all of Congress, military promotions, monies for border security, support for Ukraine etc. They can’t even find a speaker crazy enough to submit themselves to such torture. The hateful eight seem to want a tiny minority to mandate how we live, eliminate Medicare and Social Security, defund public schools to fund religious schools that believe God only knows what, and tell women what their bodies are for. Truthfully they want to destroy our republic and exchange it for fascism and authoritarianism. The Squad equal? Not even close to being the same folks. You’d have to be delusional to believe otherwise IMO

Last edited:
Who is Mike Johnson? Five things to know about the new Republican House speaker nbcnews

His role in promoting 2020 election denial​

Johnson is a constitutional lawyer who has used his talents to craft some creative — and controversial — theories. The most notable is his role in devising an argument aimed at keeping Donald Trump in power even though he lost the 2020 election.

His solidly conservative voting record​

Johnson's voting record has earned him a lifetime rating of 92% from the American Conservative Union and 90% from Heritage Action.

In Biden’s first two years, Johnson voted against a slew of bipartisan bills — including to establish a Jan. 6 independent commission, the infrastructure law, reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, a modest new gun law and the CHIPS and Science Act.

His opposition to abortion and LGBTQ rights​

Johnson has a spotless history of voting against legal abortion, earning an "A+" rating from Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America. Abortion rights proponents have noted his work from 2010 as a senior legal counsel for the Alliance Defense Fund, citing a letter in which he fought to shut down an abortion clinic in Baton Rouge.

He voted against bipartisan legislation to codify same-sex marriage, which Biden signed into law in 2022.

He has Trump's stamp of approval, sort of​

On Wednesday morning, hours before an expected vote, Donald Trump, the de facto leader of the Republican Party, said he wasn't technically endorsing Johnson but suggesting the House elect him.

"I am not going to make an Endorsement in this race, because I COULD NEVER GO AGAINST ANY OF THESE FINE AND VERY TALENTED MEN, all of whom have supported me, in both mind and spirit, from the very beginning of our GREAT 2016 Victory. In 2024, we will have an even bigger, & more important, WIN! My strong SUGGESTION is to go with the leading candidate, Mike Johnson, & GET IT DONE, FAST!" Trump wrote on his social media platform.

A relatively inexperienced speaker​

With fewer than seven years under his belt, Johnson has a shorter length of service in the House than past speakers in modern history. Kevin McCarthy was in the House for 16 years before being elected speaker, Nancy Pelosi had 20 years of experience, Paul Ryan served for 16 years, and John Boehner had 20 years before ascending to the top job.

Ahead of the vote Wednesday, numerous members of Congress said they knew little about Johnson, with some Republican senators saying they had never even met him.

1698258750155.png

Lando Calrissian Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

Who is Mike Johnson? Five things to know about the new Republican House speaker nbcnews

His role in promoting 2020 election denial​

Johnson is a constitutional lawyer who has used his talents to craft some creative — and controversial — theories. The most notable is his role in devising an argument aimed at keeping Donald Trump in power even though he lost the 2020 election.

His solidly conservative voting record​

Johnson's voting record has earned him a lifetime rating of 92% from the American Conservative Union and 90% from Heritage Action.

In Biden’s first two years, Johnson voted against a slew of bipartisan bills — including to establish a Jan. 6 independent commission, the infrastructure law, reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, a modest new gun law and the CHIPS and Science Act.

His opposition to abortion and LGBTQ rights​

Johnson has a spotless history of voting against legal abortion, earning an "A+" rating from Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America. Abortion rights proponents have noted his work from 2010 as a senior legal counsel for the Alliance Defense Fund, citing a letter in which he fought to shut down an abortion clinic in Baton Rouge.

He voted against bipartisan legislation to codify same-sex marriage, which Biden signed into law in 2022.

He has Trump's stamp of approval, sort of​

On Wednesday morning, hours before an expected vote, Donald Trump, the de facto leader of the Republican Party, said he wasn't technically endorsing Johnson but suggesting the House elect him.

"I am not going to make an Endorsement in this race, because I COULD NEVER GO AGAINST ANY OF THESE FINE AND VERY TALENTED MEN, all of whom have supported me, in both mind and spirit, from the very beginning of our GREAT 2016 Victory. In 2024, we will have an even bigger, & more important, WIN! My strong SUGGESTION is to go with the leading candidate, Mike Johnson, & GET IT DONE, FAST!" Trump wrote on his social media platform.

A relatively inexperienced speaker​

With fewer than seven years under his belt, Johnson has a shorter length of service in the House than past speakers in modern history. Kevin McCarthy was in the House for 16 years before being elected speaker, Nancy Pelosi had 20 years of experience, Paul Ryan served for 16 years, and John Boehner had 20 years before ascending to the top job.

Ahead of the vote Wednesday, numerous members of Congress said they knew little about Johnson, with some Republican senators saying they had never even met him.

View attachment 1902
Things are going to get much worse aren’t they? The government is going to shut down and the economy is going to crash. Republicans will blame Biden and the MAGA idiots will eat it up

You think the new SOTH is going to be the reason that the economy crashes?
Do you think this new speaker is going to work with the democrats to avoid a shut down? It’s what got the last guy removed. What do you think is going to happen to the economy when millions of people all of a sudden aren’t getting paid?

Do you think this new speaker is going to work with the democrats to avoid a shut down? It’s what got the last guy removed. What do you think is going to happen to the economy when millions of people all of a sudden aren’t getting paid?
It remains to be seen whether the new speaker will work with the democrats or if the democrats will work with the new speaker for that matter. I’m betting against it on both counts. To preemptively blame an economic crash in a country with $33T of accumulated debt and a $1.7T deficit on a guy that most of us had never heard of until yesterday may be just a tad hyperbolic.

It remains to be seen whether the new speaker will work with the democrats or if the democrats will work with the new speaker for that matter. I’m betting against it on both counts. To preemptively blame an economic crash in a country with $33T of accumulated debt and a $1.7T deficit on a guy that most of us had never heard of until yesterday may be just a tad hyperbolic.
It’s stupid considering they are in power in the senate and oval. But it’s what they do.

I’ll bite. So, this will help the economy?

Back